IGNORED

Where's the best place to get a good Xbox 360 E?

Estil

So I just discovered a few weeks ago that apparently you can get Xbox Achievement points not only on the actual Xbox consoles but also on PC games?  That apparently includes free (mostly) classics like Solitaire, Minesweeper and the like.  I actually already got 1670 points already!  I think I remember my wife playing the Solitaire game and getting bronze/silver/gold/diamond awards and I'm sure on more than one occasion I said she should have a proper account so she can possibly get Xbox Achievement points (I don't know if she did).That being said, should I go ahead and add a Xbox 360 to my collection (the Elite 120 GB is the best one right) and if so where would be the best place to get a good quality one without overpaying?  The thing is though, there's only a little over 200 exclusives?  I know Xbox was always lacking in exclusives but geez... 😞 

https://gamicus.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Xbox_360-exclusive_video_games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_360-only_games

PS: Go ahead @Tulpa let me have it on how I didn't realize this until recently...lol... 😄 

Edited by Estil

Get the 360 E. The version that looks like the xbone. My E is 500GB.

Or the slim is a good choice. The older models have too many problems. you can get them in 250 GB

My original launch model got sent in 4 times for the RROD. On the last one the slim had just came out so they gave me the option to upgrade.  

Edited by themisfit138

1 hour ago, themisfit138 said:

Get the 360 E. The version that looks like the xbone. My E is 500GB.

Or the slim is a good choice. The older models have too many problems. you can get them in 250 GB

My original launch model got sent in 4 times for the RROD. On the last one the slim had just came out so they gave me the option to upgrade.  

All the more reason I was thinking that the Elite 120 GB would be best...it was the last model released right?  I certainly want no part of that whole RROD debacle 😛 

Administrator · Posted

No. The newest Xbox (series x, series s) is backwards compatible all the way back to the 360 with a significant amount of the library available, as well as ~40 original Xbox games also able to be played. Get that.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-series-x/Backward_Compatibility

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

The elite was before the slim and E. Here they are in order. 
Original/elite   Slim.      360E

image.png.3ffb2cb5c0b72996fe22845e8fe9617a.png

No wonder I got so mixed up; I thought E was just short for Elite 😛  So even back then Big Green had confusing names 😛 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

No. The newest Xbox (series x, series s) is backwards compatible all the way back to the 360 with a significant amount of the library available, as well as ~40 original Xbox games also able to be played. Get that.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-series-x/Backward_Compatibility

Depends on how good your internet is. The internet in the backwoods has data caps still, and the download is from a server not off the disc. Making the original the better option. 

Edited by themisfit138
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ifightdragons said:

I bet she plays it because she likes the game.

If you're putting achievements ahead of the actual game, you might as well just grind those click-to-win games.

I wish she had other options though...I kinda feel bad for her in that sense 😞

And I bet Peggy Hill would love that one part of MS Ultimate Word Games! 😄 

Edited by Estil

18 hours ago, Estil said:

PS: Go ahead @Tulpa let me have it on how I didn't realize this until recently...lol... 😄 

I didn't realize it, either, so you're off the hook there.

However, I'll go with the crowd on this one: achievements in Solitaire, a game that is entirely dependent on the initial card layout? Seriously?

At least go for FreeCell where there's more of a skill factor.

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I didn't realize it, either, so you're off the hook there.

However, I'll go with the crowd on this one: achievements in Solitaire, a game that is entirely dependent on the initial card layout? Seriously?

At least go for FreeCell where there's more of a skill factor.

I do that.  You get Daily Challenges for Klondike (Solitaire), Spider, FreeCell, Pyramid (no not $25,000 Pyramid), and TriPeaks...and because I got the Premium version I can "time travel" and go backwards through the calendar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I do that.  You get Daily Challenges for Klondike (Solitaire), Spider, FreeCell, Pyramid (no not $25,000 Pyramid), and TriPeaks...and because I got the Premium version I can "time travel" and go backwards through the calendar.

FreeCell and TriPeaks are good. Spider seems good, but I haven't played a lot of it. Golf Solitaire is good (similar to TriPeaks.)  Canfield Solitaire is okay. FreeCell might be my favorite.

Pyramid and Klondike suck. There are  too many initial layouts where you can't win. Clock Solitaire is the worst. There's no skill whatsoever, it's all in the luck of the layout.

27 minutes ago, Estil said:

Is there any seller out there that would be best for getting the best 360 E I can?  Like Gomer Pyle says in that poker episode if I'm gonna spend good money on something I want the best!

Any mom and pop game store local to you should still have some, and would probably be easier to deal with if something borks on the system.

57 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

FreeCell and TriPeaks are good. Spider seems good, but I haven't played a lot of it. Golf Solitaire is good (similar to TriPeaks.)  Canfield Solitaire is okay. FreeCell might be my favorite.

Pyramid and Klondike suck. There are  too many initial layouts where you can't win. Clock Solitaire is the worst. There's no skill whatsoever, it's all in the luck of the layout.

Any mom and pop game store local to you should still have some, and would probably be easier to deal with if something borks on the system.

Actually on the calendar/daily challenges all of them are solvable.  And how did the Golf solitare card game get its name?  Doesn't seem to have anything to do with golf.  Say, would it be possible to run Windows 3.1 games on my OG Xbox like I can MS-DOS games?  It would be neat to run those MS Best of Entertainment packs on it for example.

Unfortunately I can't do anything like that on the 360 or PS3 as obviously if they were to catch me with pirated software on those systems they'd ban me and worse, I'd lose my trophies/achievements on that account 😞  So for those I still gotta do it the honest way...buy the games/discs.

Actually I overlooked something...on that X360 exclusives list, it doesn't include the ones that were released on the Wii.  I mean the Wii doesn't award any achievements/trophies and with the X360 version you don't have to deal with any annoying motion controls 😛  So that expands the X360 lineup a bit I suppose.  Basically I'm looking for the X360 games that did NOT get a PS3 release because you know, it's all about the trophies first and achievements second 😄 

• The title was changed to Where's the best place to get a good Xbox 360 E?

So I think I'm ready to take the plunge...where would be the best place to get a Xbox 360 E (250GB)?  Of course I'd want to be sure it's a good quality one and has only the real controller/hookups and none of that 3rd party crap 😛 

I'm guessing it's no longer (affordably) possible to get a new one, right?

Edited by Estil

I would have said GameStop simply due to your ability to get an often years-long warranty for cheap, but they seem to have expunged everything from their locations that predates the PS4 (leaving the PS4/PS5, Xbox One + its Series successors, and the Switch as the only consoles & games they sell), so scratch them.  Next, I'd say whatever local game stores you have near you that you know and trust, as those would be the folks who would properly check and test such a system when it came in, versus solely seeing if it powers on, then throwing it into a pile and calling it good.  And, if you're not specifically going to buy a new, factory sealed system, I would recommend eBay/Amazon next, as with those you at least have buyer protection and some sort of return policy & period in place to protect you should things not go as planned.  In last place, I would recommend stuff like Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace, as unless you've got a portable screen and an inverter for your car, often times you won't have the ability to really test any systems that you're meeting up to purchase, so these scenarios will generally be the riskiest in terms of whether you're getting something functional or not.

Good luck!

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

I would have said GameStop simply due to your ability to get an often years-long warranty for cheap, but they seem to have expunged everything from their locations that predates the PS4 (leaving the PS4/PS5, Xbox One + its Series successors, and the Switch as the only consoles & games they sell), so scratch them.  Next, I'd say whatever local game stores you have near you that you know and trust, as those would be the folks who would properly check and test such a system when it came in, versus solely seeing if it powers on, then throwing it into a pile and calling it good.  And, if you're not specifically going to buy a new, factory sealed system, I would recommend eBay/Amazon next, as with those you at least have buyer protection and some sort of return policy & period in place to protect you should things not go as planned.  In last place, I would recommend stuff like Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace, as unless you've got a portable screen and an inverter for your car, often times you won't have the ability to really test any systems that you're meeting up to purchase, so these scenarios will generally be the riskiest in terms of whether you're getting something functional or not.

Good luck!

I meant more along the lines of it there is a specific store/dealer/Ebay seller that would be best.

40 minutes ago, Estil said:

I meant more along the lines of it there is a specific store/dealer/Ebay seller that would be best.

There's hundreds of sellers out there, all with 99% feedback or above. Just search what you want, look at the feedback, and make your own choice.

• Like 1

Word of advice to anyone running a 360 in this day and age: If you are planning on playing a game for an extensive period if time ALWAYS install the game onto the system, rather than playing it off the disc.

360 games are big, they used lots of fancy data-loading tricks to store, stream and load data from the DVD straight into the gameplay on the fly. Whilst technologically impressive, this performance puts a LOT of stress on the disc-drive, which is spinning and loading data practically non-stop in order to keep up. Install a game on the harddrive or even a USB stick, you literally only need to spin the DVD drive to install the game, and after that it only ever checks the disc to make sure the game is in the system, there's minimal wear on the disc-drive whatsoever.

Needless to say, as a hardcore 360 gamer myself I've learnt this lesson the hard way, already worn through a disc-drive in little more than two years, so from now on I always install the game I want to play on the system. Trust me, your Xbox will thank you! 😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 2