IGNORED

Kid stuff

docile tapeworm

Events Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Remember smashing a whole roll of caps with a rock?

This is literally my childhood in a nutshell.

It also reminds me how my neighbor friend liked to combine firesteel from lighters to make a small explosion. Man, that kid was so silly and reckless, one time I saw him using a vice in order to hit bullets with a hammer to make them explode. That and making gasoline fire circles in his father's garage, getting the gasoline can catch on fire many times. First time I was sure as hell that the whole place was going to explode, learnt that it does not explode if the can is already open, lol. By any means, not kid stuff to recreate with your kids 🙃

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Dropping water balloons off a balcony... bombs away

Sports card+clip+bike spoke = cool

Simply riding a bike will do.  I don't see kids in my neighborhood do that much any more.  Also, when I was 10, I went to a friends house and we took one of those BIG balloons you buy that you tie a rubber band around and then can bounce back and forth, and we filled it with enough water to make it as wide as his bath tub.  After much effort and "planning", we managed to get it out of the tub (we were smart enough to put it in a trash bag in case it burst, walked it to his back yard balcony and somehow between he, myself and another friend, we lifted up the massive thing and dropped it off the balcony!  In my mind, it was amazing.  Biggest water balloon I've seen to date.

Ok, Story Time!  (I've told this somewhere.  Apologize if it was Nintendo Age, but I don't have many stories like this from my childhood, so here we go!)

When I was a teen around 14-16, I also made what I declared the worlds largest bottle rocket.  My uncle had sold me some legit M80s.  Supposedly he had to have a permit to buy them and were "1/8th a stick of dynamite".  Anyway, I noticed that if I took a d-cell rocket engine, and then took the M80, the circumference of the M80 was perfectly the same width of the inside of the rocket engine, meaning I could slide the M80 snuggly into the rocket end by about 1/4th an inch.

So... I scrapped off the clay from the rocket so the discharge powder was exposed and I cut the top off the M80.  I put the rocket on the M80, and then glued it in place.

Next, I wrapped the whole engine in paper multiple times and glued it on secure to the rocket.  I took an old rocket nose cone and then glued it to the top of the rocket.  Next, (and this was my mistake) I hot glued a dowel to the side of the rocket.  Yup, this thing looked legit like a MASSIVE bottle rocket.  I also had some cannon fuse and I took about 12 inches of it, shoved it up the hole of the rocket and I was ready for lift off!

So, I took a small piece of 3/4th pipe and beat it into the ground about 6 inches.  I then stuck the dowel into it so the rocket would be pointing up.  I lit it and I ran away FAST!  This work perfectly... for about 3 seconds.  The rocket shot straight up but what I foolishly forgot to account for was that hot glue, obviously, melts when it gets hot.  The stick didn't come off, but when the rocket got a couple hundred feet in the air, the stick started to twist.  This meant the rocket stopped shooting straight up in the air but started to fly wildly all around.  Shortly before it finished it shot into a pine tree. and got stuck in the branches.  At this point, I was about to crap my pants because I just knew it was going to set the tree on fire.  Thankfully, it didn't and the flames mostly were pointing out of the tree and not toward any needles or branches.

When the rocket stopped, I counted "1... 2... 3..." waiting for the discharge of the rocket, which usually shoots out your parachute.   Then, KABOOM!  It exploded like a cannon and seemed louder than normal, I guess because it was elevated.  It was the greatest, dumbest moment of my childhood.

My Mom was also in the back yard and was in her garden.  When the M80 exploded, she just looked up and said "Ric... you don't do anything unsafe."  Oh muh gah....  thanks Mom!  You're awesome!

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 2

@RH The water balloon thing I can relate to.  When we moved in 1988 our new house was delayed, ended up in a couple apartments for a bit over a year.  One of them had a 3 story setup, and along with a couple kids we'd go to the top, fill a balloon about as big as you said, and roll it over the railing and when it blew it was epic. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

Pencil break is the ultimate challenge.

remember when you would go on a streak of winning with one pencil! That thing would be battered and tattered but she was held on high because of her toughness! I even retired one once lol “Wilma”.

Yeah, I was never that great.  We often bought cheap pencils and those were usually of some type of press wood chips and glue or something.  It felt like those things broke by pushing to hard on your paper, so Pencil Fighting was never an option.

We did have one kid who was practically unbeatable.  If he got the first move, he one.  Period.  I noticed that the best pencils seemed to be made of hard wood, and had a graphic on them that was on a thin piece of wrapped plastic.  When I played as a kid, it was only when I found a pencil like that on the ground.  Next "retired" one, but I did have a couple that lasted a while.

There was also this.  Kids did this every day, all the time at recess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2022 at 6:45 AM, docile tapeworm said:

@RH that reminded me of this

We used to launch ourselves out of the swing to see how much air and hang time we could get. We tried to see if we could land beyond the sand area.

We were banned from the swings for about a month.

Being a kid on a playground in the 80s was brutal.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

We used to launch ourselves out of the swing to see how much air and hang time we could get. We tried to see if we could land beyond the sand area.

We were banned from the swings for about a month.

Being a kid on a playground in the 80s was brutal.

Ditto 

I trained my twins to do it too.  The preschool is not a fan.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1