IGNORED

Since I’ve only seen one ever, I’m curious if anyone thinks Real OR Fake!?!?

9 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I believe Acclaim/ljn, Virgin, and Hi-Tech were all granted manufacturing licenses and made their own carts. Any others @Dr. Morbis?

It’s just odd that Virgin had other games but overlord was the only one with the pcb and shell made by Virgin. It was released very late though so maybe Nintendo was like f it you do this shit lol

This got me thinking of his comment on the introduction thread, throw that Tyson cart in here those shams at WATA called a fake.  I'm curious to see what the real experts here opinions are on that one.  They right, or just too confused and called if fake to get it out of the way?

10 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

It’s just odd that Virgin had other games but overlord was the only one with the pcb and shell made by Virgin. It was released very late though so maybe Nintendo was like f it you do this shit lol

Yeah, if you look at all the third party shells and boards (outside of Konami), they were all released very late in the NES lifecycle. Presumably Nintendo cut off manufacturing for NES at some point to focus on SNES, thus allowing third parties to get involved.

12 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

rather than writing them off, were told NO by Nintendo (too small of a run to waste rigging the assembly line for, game variety not compatible or worth throwing on the line, or whatever), but, as a concession, Nintendo says, "here, we'll send you some 5 screw cart casings since they are useless to us as we can no longer use them on our new 3 screw assembly line, and you can make your own damn carts out of those pcbs."  But, in doing so, Nintendo doesn't think to send the back labels along to be stuck on the carts, so we get what we have today: a random mishmash of games from one specific company that has 5 screw carts out of time and place, all of which are missing their back labels.

That's my theory anyway.... 😛

They might have done something similar with Playtronic in Brazil.

Superspike/World Cup used leftover gold zelda carts for the shells. They even used leftover US labels until they ran out and started making their own. 

The result: a weird USA shell/label/board...not released in USA.

Gold Superspikes.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:53 AM, DK said:

They might have done something similar with Playtronic in Brazil.

Superspike/World Cup used leftover gold zelda carts for the shells. They even used leftover US labels until they ran out and started making their own. 

The result: a weird USA shell/label/board...not released in USA.

Gold Superspikes.jpg

Purdy I kinda want one 

• Love 1

My Metal Gear 5 screw has the Konami chipset and board, and it's been postulated in the rare variant thread that this is the case for all the rare Konami 5 screws.  This hasn't been proven though, as really nothing has been proven about these Konami-Ultra oddities, we're still trying to unravel the mystery.  But the fact that this one doesn't have the Konami chips and board, as well as the fact that the label is not perfect--it's off center and peeling up in a couple spots on top--make me wonder about its authenticity.  I have no strong feeling either way though, and there's no consensus yet about what one of these SHOULD look like, so call it what you like.

Here's a picture of mine.

20220213_175901.jpg.971522bdb1bc5eeb61d71169351a9c0c.jpg

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2022 at 8:57 PM, wyansas said:

My Metal Gear 5 screw has the Konami chipset and board, and it's been postulated in the rare variant thread that this is the case for all the rare Konami 5 screws.  This hasn't been proven though, as really nothing has been proven about these Konami-Ultra oddities, we're still trying to unravel the mystery.  But the fact that this one doesn't have the Konami chips and board, as well as the fact that the label is not perfect--it's off center and peeling up in a couple spots on top--make me wonder about its authenticity.  I have no strong feeling either way though, and there's no consensus yet about what one of these SHOULD look like, so call it what you like.

Here's a picture of mine.

20220213_175901.jpg.971522bdb1bc5eeb61d71169351a9c0c.jpg

Just my two cents, I had two silent service 5 screws. One had the Konami board the other did not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1