IGNORED

Ranking the Friday the 13th Movies

G-type

3 hours ago, G-type said:

Part 9: Jason Goes to Hell: The final Friday is the one I put as last on my list. It had a few redeeming qualities, but mostly a misfire. if I had the power to fix any of them, that's the one I'd pick:

The poster, I actually think is actually pretty rad, even if it does scream early 90s. It looks right in place along side Mortal Kombat.

spacer.png

the look of Jason here is  pretty cool too. I kinda dig the idea of the mask has begun to grow into his head.spacer.png Harry Manfredini (the original F13 composer), is generally underrated, and I think his work is a large part of why this series was so successful. I'm not a fan of what he does here though. It sounds like the cat walked across his keyboard:

I can respect the desire to extend the lore a bit, and adding more occult stuff is cool, but the idea of the body jumping Jason was just bad. I thought they had learned their lesson from the imposter Jason in part V. The director from part 1 Sean Cunningham is back as the producer here.. I get why he has no attachment to the mask since it was introduced after his involvement, but I think it was a serious miscall to demand they get rid of it. Jason in a hockey mask is scary. The husband from Desperate Housewives with a little dark makeup under his eyes is NOT SCARY.

spacer.png

I liked the beginning with the Jason task force... I would have maybe liked to have even learned a little bit more about them and get some more background on setting up the Jason trap. If you want to preserve the surprise of the opening scene (which I liked) maybe have the first time not work. Jason gets away, and the task force has to regroup so that next time they'll get him for sure.

Give more backstory on Pamela Voorhees. Show her making deal with the devil to bring Jason back (prior to her death). Make the bounty hunter guy more of an occult expert

when the occult ritual is performed, Actually show him go to hell! Don't make that promise in the title and not deliver. I would love to see Jason in Hell. They could have done what the Preacher comics did with the Saint of Killers. Hell freezes over when Jason arrives because his heart is so cold. The devil tries to break him and make him feel something (pain) to get the fires started again (the gates are frozen shut and no new souls can get in). Jason is whipped and flayed but unfazed, and the devil is exhausted and gives up. Jason then kills him and walks out of hell and back to the real world to leave the door open for a sequel.

The way Jason looked at the beginning especially, was what I disliked most. The way his head is makes him look like a fat pud. I actually think he looked beat in Freddy vs Jason. Tall, strong, his skin black from death, etc

14 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The way Jason looked at the beginning especially, was what I disliked most. The way his head is makes him look like a fat pud. I actually think he looked beat in Freddy vs Jason. Tall, strong, his skin black from death, etc

he maybe looked a little too much like the Toxic Avenger... FvJ is a good look. I actually prefer the leaner more athletic Jason... Derek Mears/2009 is my favorite

21 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Its at least SOME sort of recognition that F13 8 takes place and he was messed up from toxic waste, which we all NY'ers know flows at midnight every day.  
PS look at this beautiful moment, I kinda wish they kept it the film because its SO FREAKING STUPID AND EMBARRASSING.  

• Haha 1

I checked my Letterboxed ratings for all the Friday the 13ths and all of them were pretty average 2-3/5 so I think it would be hard to meaningfully order them. My blazing hot, hippity hottest take is that my favorite F13 movie is Jason Takes Manhattan. It's totally falsely advertised, but Jason on a Boat is still rad.

1, 3, and 5 are my favorites from the rest. Jeez, are my favorites 1, 3, 5, 7? "The bad ones??". There's so many kills in all these movies that if I can remember specific ones, it kind of jumps to the top of the list. The twist and ending of the first movie are just too memorable to not put it among my favorites. The 3D nonsense and Jason getting his mask in 3 definitely make it memorable. 5 is just had a lot of dumb and strange kills, plus another "shocking twist". 

The most memorable part of Part 2 for me is that like half the teenagers at one point leave camp to go to town and just... don't end up dying? Am I remembering that correctly? Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

IV, and then I and II, and then a random jumble of the rest movies somewhere distantly behind.  

Goes to Hell and Manhatten are probably the worst.  5-7 are also pretty bad.

I’d agree with most of this.

While not perfect I enjoy Freddy vs Jason quite a bit as well

I know it's kind of poorly done, but I've always liked part five.  The ending especially is what always fascinated me.  It's like the horror that Jason creates is so intense the only way to escape from it is to become the monster yourself.  I always thought that horror aspect that five presented is where the series should have went, with maybe a new "Jason" in each sequel.  I think the creators of "Scream" had a similar idea.  Obviously the ending was written off as a dream, and the sequel bringing him back as an undead wasn't nearly as interesting.

6-7-3-8-4-2-1-9-X-5

big fan of the F13 movies. 5 is by far the worst. not a fan of X either. i like Part 1 good enough, but it's hard to rank, as it doesn't have Jason as the killer, and the big murderer reveal of his mother is fun, but still makes it seem separate. i only watched Freddy vs Jason once, and i consider that its own thing, so i'm not ranking it. Ditto for the remake, although i liked that quite a bit.

Once Jason gets his super powers in 6 is when i feel the series is the best. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've always loved Jason's look in JGTH. New Blood was his best look ever though, IMHO. Best human Jason has to be part 3 or 4 for me. Richard Brooker and Ted White rule.

Kane Hodder got kind of screwed by getting in late in the series, despite being arguably the most iconic Jason, and then he got screwed out of FvJ after years of being the one to keep the Jason character going.

Edited by Van Jackson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Van Jackson said:

Kane Hodder got kind of screwed by getting in late in the series, despite being arguably the most iconic Jason, and then he got screwed out of FvJ after years of being the one to keep the Jason character going.

The official line is he was recast because of the visuals... New Line wanted Jason to tower over Freddy. But I don't buy it. Kane is only a couple inches shorter than the guy they used. I think it was about the money. Kane had become too well known and they didn't want to have to match what they were paying Robert England.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:52 PM, G-type said:

The official line is he was recast because of the visuals... New Line wanted Jason to tower over Freddy. But I don't buy it. Kane is only a couple inches shorter than the guy they used. I think it was about the money. Kane had become too well known and they didn't want to have to match what they were paying Robert England.

This is the correct information; Ronny Yu wanted a "taller Jason". That's literally it. Ken K did a great job; he was also the stuntman/cook thrown into the mirror in the diner in Part 8.