IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

@JVOSS Yeah, the worst part was I already owned them so this was 100% for collecting.  I've always had a a collector mindset and if I had room for it, even as a you kid, I'd keep boxes and paper work.  So, these went straight to the top shelf of the book shelf, and they weren't "packed" in there so they wouldn't be crushed with time.  

It wasn't until late college, or so, that I started selling off my games.  I have no clue why.  It might have been due to space because I wanted to move away from my parents home.  But, since I've been a Squaresoft fan since I first put Final Fantasy Adventure into my Game Boy, I have no clue why I didn't hold onto these as the last items to go in my big sell off that was from about 2000-2007.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about 10 retail variants away from finishing the DMG set and I finally broke into this stupid subset. Near impossible to find these mint because I imagine that they get thrown around at whatever store they are distributed to. Please kill me 😐 what do all of your NFR dmg cartriges look like? Is a mint set even a reasonable goal?

20200916_202000.jpg

20200916_202011.jpg

20 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Is a mint set even a reasonable goal?

Probably not, but at least we'll be in the same boat. For me, though, I have a quality threshold which is what I would call "great" condition. Anything below that gets replaced and if I have something on the lesser end of what I accept, I'll swap it out if I find a true, gem mint copy that's reasonably priced. I actually have a personal grading system for my carts and I accept 7 of 10 and up. I have 2, 6s left to replace and everything after that will be secondary and my collection average is over 8.5.

But, regarding NFRs, I doubt you'll findany that look as good as this KGJr. Man, that's cherry.  Nine's decent but not like that. I think this is also maybe the easiest title to find for the NFRs so if getting a mint copy took a while, you're going to be waiting a loooong time to get any others.

Yea. A mint copy of donkey kong land, killer instinct, and tetris attack NFRs were also found with this one but someone else got to them first so I was left with baseball scraps. I'm happy to get one though.

Yea, I would say my grading scale of what's acceptable shifts considering rarity but the NFRs that have been selling lately seem like garbage and not worth it considering the price spike. Ive only been collecting for about 6 months though so I've still got a bit of patience left.

received_854764445058394.jpeg

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

41 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Is a mint set even a reasonable goal?

for me the part that i don't care about is the back the sticker is noting for an NFR the front label is where it at. Just because a game has a sticker on the back the has the "Not for Resale Demo Game Only" dose not mean its and NFR... 

hell i can do this with a printer and sale a full set of 600 DMG's and make a ton.  but it is not a real nfr...

• 2 weeks later...

@RH,

Just spent the last few days cataloging the NA side of the collection and found something I wanted your thoughts.

i have a hand full of games that have a variant that is not documented any where. 

the variant i talking about this gloss and no gloss label.  is this something we should track?

10 hours ago, JVOSS said:

@RH,

Just spent the last few days cataloging the NA side of the collection and found something I wanted your thoughts.

i have a hand full of games that have a variant that is not documented any where. 

the variant i talking about this gloss and no gloss label.  is this something we should track?

Hmmm, interesting.  I have noticed that their are different labels.  I think the few times I've noticed a gloss/no gloss set of labels for any given single game, there was usually a serial-bump as well.  I assume label printing was managed by the game publishers, which had the labels shipped to Nintendo's manufacturing facilities.

Sure, Nintendo made all of the shells and even assembled/flashed the boards, but the label stickers are all over the place.  Some are matte (read, cheap) others are gloss and I've even found some that are extremely high-gloss and seem the most durable. And, of course, when you pay attention to the fonts of the text on the grey bars on the side, and even text orientation, you realize that almost every game has a nuanced difference which makes it seem that the developers/publishers were given guidelines to follow that weren't 100% thorough.

Anyway, But should we track it? Honestly, I think this could be a sub-list.  Maybe a list of games with BOTH matte and gloss stickers.  I say this because after a while, you start to notice fine details that make the rabbit hole of variants to big to be manageable and collectible.  For instance, when we crack open the games, we see date codes.  Most games were probably printed over multiple weeks, though their stickers are all the same.  We could consider each week a "variant" because it is a legitimate physical difference.  I'm fine with tracking date codes (I mean, I'm fine with it being cool to add that to someones database and helping find year/week numbers) but I'm not at all cool with considering those "variants".

And, of course, you can compound that out when you consider the two-digit stamps on the labels (some games have 2-3 different stamps) There could have been green PCB boards in the middle of production, etc.  Again, someone can feel free to start a database cataloging all of those details, and I'll gladly contribute from time to time, but I don't think that has any bearing on variants.

Ooooook, a lot of text.  So what about gloss/no gloss labels.  I'm going to stick with what I say.  I say make a sub-list specific to this characteristic.  In time, we might find other, binary characteristics (cart's have it, or they don't) and we can catalog those in new tabs as well.

@JVOSS @Splain I can give you edit access if you guys want to try and populate that list on a new tab.  Feel free to manage as you see fit.  However, regarding the master list, I'll say you guys can make edits but let's at least make note of those changes here, first, before making those details.  If you'd like to be added as an editor to the spreadsheet, PM me your email addresses and I'll send along that invite.

@JVOSS, @Splain I also added a new tab to the spreadsheet.  It's a "Notable Oddities" tab for any region.  I'm personally not looking to go crazy with that data.  But, I felt like it'd be nice to at least have a reference for the Killer Instinct game.  Again, if you want access to the spreadsheet, feel free to manage that tab as you see fit. I might add to it.  Again, I'm not looking to go to far down a rabbit trail but if anything really odd sticks out, put it on there.  Another "oddity" I might add are games like Bill and Ted.  I think every one of use found our not-error variant in Europe, which makes me think Acclaim of Europe simply fixed the LJN logo but didn't bother to correct/update the serial number.  This makes this, technically, a Euro game and not a North American one.  But, we can't verify that for sure, so it stays on the US list.

There's also games like Space Invaders-- it starts with revision 1.  There's also Smurfs, which is a Player's Choice title, but no non-PC version exists.  I don't consider these to be errors, just oddities, and a special list with notes seems beneficial to someone, especially the new collector getting into Game Boy variants.

Edited by RH

• 3 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted
45 minutes ago, creepsthething said:

Hello guys, I'm a bit new here. So we haven't found a box of SML1's Rated E variant. I believe this is what the box MAY look like.

I MAY be wrong, who knows. Good luck.  

Where did this image come from? Since you're not sure there's a box that looks like that, I'm guessing someone (you?) took the Player's Choice K-A box and changed the ESRB. Depends where you got the image.

Another Sunsoft Daedalian Opus is up on eBay. This is another one that can be hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284041166472

EDIT

WELL, nevermind. There are two on the bay. This one is in a lot. The other carts look like crap, but this Daedalian Opus looks better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313256910920

Edited by RH