IGNORED

Game Debate #34: Shovel Knight

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Nights into Dreams
    • Panzer Dragoon

For once we agree. Shovel Knight actually solidly recreates a lot of the quality gameplay associated with the video game generations it is trying to callback to. It is one of the few "retro" indie games that actually feel like they are doing it for the purpose of rediscovering something that was genuinely good, and not just because "retro is cool".

Cave Story is good, but maybe a little overrated? Either way, it doesn't feel like an old school game at all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 2:28 PM, Sumez said:

For once we agree. Shovel Knight actually solidly recreates a lot of the quality gameplay associated with the video game generations it is trying to callback to. It is one of the few "retro" indie games that actually feel like they are doing it for the purpose of rediscovering something that was genuinely good, and not just because "retro is cool".

Cave Story is good, but maybe a little overrated? Either way, it doesn't feel like an old school game at all.

Yeah -- Shovel Knight actually captures the play control and feel of how you might have wished a game worked back-in-the-day.

Cave Story has a fairly "typical" early-2000's indie aesthetic with modern play control and "feel".  It's a fun game, but neither the graphics nor the gameplay have anything "retro" about them, IMO.

• Like 1

I went 8/10. Having played it and loved it in 2014, I actually re-beat the base game over the holidays so it's still pretty fresh in my mind. To my delight, it still holds up really well. *Something* couldn't quite get me to bump it up to a 9, though. And I can't put my finger on it. MAYBE it's just that in 2014 it felt really fresh, but in 2021 it feels like we're oversaturated with retro-throwback indies. I don't know. Maybe it's even unfair for me to lower it a point based on my feeling that the sub-genre has exploded, so it sort of makes the game feel a little less special to me now. But whatever, it still feels like an 8/10 to me, which is "great" per the poll.

Having said that, I think that while the expansions were welcome (I mean, not a lot indie developers give you SO MUCH content for so many years), they tended to have diminishing returns. None of them felt quite as fun to me as the original game. And by the time we got to King Of Cards I was burned out. I actually solidly disliked that one, which is weird given my love of video game TCG's.

I do think that Shovel Knight (the character) is a rockstar, though. I like that he appears in other games, and his Amiibo is AWESOME.

Administrator · Posted

I gave it an 8 but was debating between 8 and 9.  For what it is trying to achieve, the game does an excellent job of it.  It's a great retro-themed platformer/action game, that is just plain fun.  I love the style, the enemies, the music, etc.  It's just a fun game that is an awesome example of a retro-themed modern game done very well.  

I know it gets a lot of hype, but personally I think it is mostly deserved.  I really really enjoyed the game, and highly recommend!

On 1/31/2021 at 2:28 PM, Sumez said:

Cave Story is good, but definitely overrated. I played it back in 2010 or so, and I definitely thought it was a GOOD game. But in hindsight, I think more than anything I was marveling at how well made it was by a sole developer. It impressed me at the time, for sure. But as far as being a FUN game, it's not something I really have any desire to go back and replay, unlike Shovel Knight.

• 1 month later...