IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2021 - 665/677

scaryice

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

I understood all of the words in this, but pretty much none of the meaning.

Ah, let me give you an annotated version:

"Time to take care of Star Voyager, as I've been doing for many years now [I've beaten the game for NA/VGS for a bunch of consecutive years], because I am just a marvelous warrior [humorous quote from the ridiculous end-of-game credit crawl, see below for my screenshot from 2018]:

217027656_StarVoyager(U)!4.png.5ecbd8b4fad5b71b666085bd92f838ba.png

Last night I started this on a lark [I was riding a small bird at the time], got excellent RNG as I only had to search 3 planets to get the two super items, but then my emulator crashed [this is a quote from the Bhagavad Gita, also said by J. Robert Oppenheimer at the test of the first atomic bird].

Today I had essentially perfect RNG, as the two super items were on the first two 2 planets I checked [here I'm talking about childhood trauma, and also a bird], but then I only beat the game by the skin of my teeth and had to fight like a cornered rat to make it [bird bird bird]. I'm guessing the thing that saved my run was (if I'm correct) [bird bird] that your base treats each attack separately, so that the SOS calls [from a bird] you get aren't cumulative and it's able to heal in between [two birds]."

I hope that helps.

• Haha 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 612/677
4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It's always exciting to have @bronzeshieldback in action. Will you be riding your lark into any further NES battles soon, oh marvelous warrior?

Very kind of you! We shall see -- Sky Kid keeps taunting me in my dreams (not really) (but it sort of does). But I have that real cart of Laser Invasion and it's supposed to be a good one (never really played it).

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

After I get a respectable catch for the Blue Marlin contest this weekend, I'm going to start on Dragon's Lair. From what I understand, it's mostly memorization

Sort of. At least for me, knowing what to do was the first 25% of the game, and actually executing was the latter 75%. The big choke points are that one sadistic jump in the last level, and the final boss fight (which is the only difficult boss fight), but the next-to-last level is also quite demanding.

It's a miserable experience with a vague whiff of a good game somewhere in there.

AHOY!

I've finished Pirates!- this game and uncharted waters are very similar.  For me pirates was harder to get into but after reading about the scoring conditions it's much easier to complete than uncharted waters. Having the 8 different save slots makes it less stressful because you can always go back to an old save if something doesn't work out.

On a personal note I'm now 20 games from completing the nes library.

IMG_7149.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 613/677
5 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

AHOY!

I've finished Pirates!- this game and uncharted waters are very similar.  For me pirates was harder to get into but after reading about the scoring conditions it's much easier to complete than uncharted waters. Having the 8 different save slots makes it less stressful because you can always go back to an old save if something doesn't work out.

On a personal note I'm now 20 games from completing the nes library.

IMG_7149.jpg

Had no idea you were that close! That's so great! Care to share your final 20?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Had no idea you were that close! That's so great! Care to share your final 20?

arkanoid, bard's tale, ikari 1-2-3, top gun 2, shingen, silent service, last starfighter, l'empereur, robowarrior, metroid, might and magic, star voyager, snake's revenge, metroid, pool of radiance, conflict, miracle and one i'm saving for the end if i get there

surprisingly for all the lengthy or difficult games I thought that I went out of my way to complete early just about everything left I'm dreading playing but I'm sure I'll enjoy something

17 minutes ago, Tablew/chairs said:

arkanoid, bard's tale, ikari 1-2-3, top gun 2, shingen, silent service, last starfighter, l'empereur, robowarrior, metroid, might and magic, star voyager, snake's revenge, metroid, pool of radiance, conflict, miracle and one i'm saving for the end if i get there

surprisingly for all the lengthy or difficult games I thought that I went out of my way to complete early just about everything left I'm dreading playing but I'm sure I'll enjoy something

Metroid is there twice, but are you trying to beat it without a walkthrough/map? I finally got around to beating it a couple years ago, and it's really not very difficult or lengthy, if you know where stuff is.  Is miracle Miracle Piano? Just play Jingle Bells and I say you beat it.

1 hour ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Bard's Tale & Pool of radiance are really good, unless you hate RPGs I guess...I'm really surprised Metroid is on here. As someone else said, is Metroid on there twice as a typo or are you trying to beat both label variants? 😄

58 minutes ago, WashYourFace said:

Metroid is there twice, but are you trying to beat it without a walkthrough/map? I finally got around to beating it a couple years ago, and it's really not very difficult or lengthy, if you know where stuff is.  Is miracle Miracle Piano? Just play Jingle Bells and I say you beat it.

Oh should be mutant virus, I almost have the list memorized. I never played Metroid as a kid so there was no urge to play it earlier and now it’s basically just there so I don’t end up with all strategy and rpgs games, Ill probably use a walkthrough thou. Not sure what I’ll do with miracle I’ve hooked it up to make sure the keyboard worked but I need to investigate how much of a “game” it is.

21 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Bard's Tale & Pool of radiance are really good, unless you hate RPGs I guess...I'm really surprised Metroid is on here. As someone else said, is Metroid on there twice as a typo or are you trying to beat both label variants? 😄

I generally enjoy the rpgs once I buckle down and start them usually day 1 entails finding the motivation to actually put the game in the system

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Star Voyager won't take you more than 4-6 hours, and Robowarrior can be beaten on your first try with enough patience. Are your playthroughs spoiler-free?

18 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

I can't believe that I've beaten 25% of your Final 20!

You must be saving Ikari III to be played after the first two. That one is shockingly easy.

Silent Service is a difficult one to learn. It mystified me for decades, but after reading the instruction manual and looking at a walkthrough on GameFAQs it's actually not all that difficult.

RoboWarrior is actually pretty fun if you know what you're doing. You'll have infinite continues, but you won't want to die too often since it costs you half of your items to continue. The stage maps on StrategyWiki are essential, as the game was entirely too cryptic. Don't hesitate to use your battery powerups, as your Bomberman is fragile and those full-health boosts are plentiful. And the game is quite long and must be beaten in one sitting. Be ready to spend 2-5 hours on it.

Snake's Revenge is also pretty fun, as long as you know what you're doing (and using walkthroughs is recommended there, too). I think it's longer and harder than the first Metal Gear, but it has the nice variety of gameplay styles that you would expect from a late Konami title.

Conflict is a time sink, but I've enjoyed it enough to play through it several times for this thread. A quick read of the walkthrough on GameFAQs will make most your strategy for most of the maps pretty obvious. Hang back and let your enemy come after you. Protect your flag tank and your factories. Build an air unit immediately if you don't start with one. Shoot down the fighter jets with anti-aircraft weapons when they come for you. When your opponent no longer has means for reinforcements, send bombers after their flag tank and factories.

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I can't believe that I've beaten 25% of your Final 20!

You must be saving Ikari III to be played after the first two. That one is shockingly easy.

Silent Service is a difficult one to learn. It mystified me for decades, but after reading the instruction manual and looking at a walkthrough on GameFAQs it's actually not all that difficult.

What’s the win condition you use for silent service? There’s no straightforward end right I’m pretty sure that’s why I’ve skipped over it for so long

On 4/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, Tablew/chairs said:On a personal note I'm now 20 games from completing the nes library.

On a personal note I’m 20 games from completing the nes library.

Congrats, that is quite a feat! 

Curious... about how long have you been working on the NES library? Any ideas on what you’re gonna do after you finish the final 20? SNES? Or go for some of the NES games that never got a North American release?

8 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

What’s the win condition you use for silent service? There’s no straightforward end right I’m pretty sure that’s why I’ve skipped over it for so long

The one that has been applied here in this thread for the past several years is to beat all of the "Convoy Actions" (which are all short and mostly very easy) and at least one "War Patrol" well enough to break the built-in high score (thus achieving the game's highest rank, WGSC or World's Greatest Submarine Commander). There are five available War Patrols, but their differences are pretty superficial. The greatest trick, aside from having to successfully win 4-6 ambush scenarios within a War Patrol to get a WGSC-caliber high score, is being efficient enough with your torpedoes to not run out of ammo before you've sunk enough ships to get that rank. There is actually a section of your sub during a War Patrol where it actually logs all of your kills so you can easily see if you've sunk 40,000 tons of enemy ships yet. Once you hit that quota, just run your ass back to one of your friendly ports and pat yourself on the back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Strikezone1 said:

Congrats, that is quite a feat! 

Curious... about how long have you been working on the NES library? Any ideas on what you’re gonna do after you finish the final 20? SNES? Or go for some of the NES games that never got a North American release?

I would say 2010 but it wasn’t too serious I just would beat a game and cross it off the list. Eventually I started recording the finish dates, using a spreadsheet and then at some point about 2012 getting pictures of the ending screen.  There’s lots of snes and ps1 rpgs I‘d like to play but I don’t think I’ll be finishing the nes games anytime too soon.

Just finished open tournament golf tonight. I've said quite a lot about it in this thread already but wow. I'm not normally a sports gamer and I've never golfed in my life but this game was a joy. Sometimes it could get a little trolly with the randomness when you slice, but it's a lot of fun. 

Advice if someone is going to take it on: READ THE MANUAL! There is so much information in there it's insane. I would also recommend ranking up as soon as you can. Sure you may not win as many tournaments, but the prizes for all placements go up, as do the prizes for longest drive, closest to the pin, and hole in one

20210404_205139.jpg

OpenTournamentGolf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2021 - 614/677
2 hours ago, Khromak said:

Just finished open tournament golf tonight. I've said quite a lot about it in this thread already but wow. I'm not normally a sports gamer and I've never golfed in my life but this game was a joy. Sometimes it could get a little trolly with the randomness when you slice, but it's a lot of fun. 

Advice if someone is going to take it on: READ THE MANUAL! There is so much information in there it's insane. I would also recommend ranking up as soon as you can. Sure you may not win as many tournaments, but the prizes for all placements go up, as do the prizes for longest drive, closest to the pin, and hole in one

20210404_205139.jpg

OpenTournamentGolf.jpg

Cool to read that and find out its not just me. If you think about it, it has pretty much every swing feature that mario golf 64 has. Its incredible how well done it is. Mario golf 64 gets so much credit, but this game is so more ahead of its time. Wonder why its so overlooked. Not sure on release date, but maybe too close to SNES?

Edit: apparently not, released in 87. Crazy. Never knew about this game until much later in life 

Edited by NESfiend