IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Zombie Nation

BeaIank

16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I haven't tried the hard mode yet, but that does sound like a lazy way to increase the difficulty.

Kind of reminds me of Dooms Nightmare setting. 

When the game was first released it was released as "Ultra Violence" being the hardest.  Since people complained about it being too easy still, they made Nightmare.  It has respawning enemies, enemies do more damage and are super aggressive, including being able to shoot immediately on seeing you instead of buffering like when you open a door, and also made some projectiles faster and pinky demons move superhuman fast.  The problem is the levels were never tested for it.  So in Doom 2, theres a level you have to kill ALL the enemies in order for a platform to raise.  If they're all not dead at the same time it wont raise.  Also if you kill 2 at the same time, the platform rises too far and you can't access it anymore.  I asked John Romero personally and he said that they never even tested for Nightmare.  Episode 4 is just about impossible to beat on Nightmare without using glitches .

So its possible they made the game on 'easy' and just added some other things that they thought would make the game more challenging, without testing it thoroughly themselves.

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

My 1CC score I posted?  Hell yes thats for the contest!  I just wanted to be able to 1CC it on hard mode at least once.  If it gets beaten later, i'm not gonna try to get do better.  Im content with just that.

The next game I love that I always struggle with on hard is "Die Hard".  I love the idea of it being random but the enemies are just too strong.

😁 unless im not seeing the whole pic you need your username written on a piece of paper and the whole tv/monitor has to be in the pic as well.

the silver lining is you will have a chance to better you score. c'mon! you can do better than that anyway wwwooooooo!!!!💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

decent chum though...

01046330-CA9E-4A65-9A27-BABED79D482D.gif

• Like 1

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

😁 unless im not seeing the whole pic you need your username written on a piece of paper and the whole tv/monitor has to be in the pic as well.

the silver lining is you will have a chance to better you score. c'mon! you can do better than that anyway wwwooooooo!!!!💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻

decent chum though...

01046330-CA9E-4A65-9A27-BABED79D482D.gif

D'oh!  I didn't even realize.  I guess thats what I get for not really doing these contests haha.  Oh well.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Contest trivia: I've never won a shooter or puzzle contest. The best I've finished in either genre was 2nd. (Sqoon, Puzznic, Klax)

I should have won Palamedes in 2018. I had 956k. But I was still bested by tables who got 18 perfects.

Not first, but I was happy to get third in Tetris considering how that game brings out the competitiveness.

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Kind of reminds me of Dooms Nightmare setting. 

When the game was first released it was released as "Ultra Violence" being the hardest.  Since people complained about it being too easy still, they made Nightmare.  It has respawning enemies, enemies do more damage and are super aggressive, including being able to shoot immediately on seeing you instead of buffering like when you open a door, and also made some projectiles faster and pinky demons move superhuman fast.  The problem is the levels were never tested for it.  So in Doom 2, theres a level you have to kill ALL the enemies in order for a platform to raise.  If they're all not dead at the same time it wont raise.  Also if you kill 2 at the same time, the platform rises too far and you can't access it anymore.  I asked John Romero personally and he said that they never even tested for Nightmare.  Episode 4 is just about impossible to beat on Nightmare without using glitches .

So its possible they made the game on 'easy' and just added some other things that they thought would make the game more challenging, without testing it thoroughly themselves.

I played a lot of Doom back in the day. I even had the 32X version. I had Doom II on PC. I think I beat it, but it was probably on normal difficulty.

14 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Contest trivia: I've never won a shooter or puzzle contest. The best I've finished in either genre was 2nd. (Sqoon, Puzznic, Klax)

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

I should have won Palamedes in 2018. I had 956k. But I was still bested by tables who got 18 perfects.

Not first, but I was happy to get third in Tetris considering how that game brings out the competitiveness.

im not sure what the trivia is ill say stinger though.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played a lot of Doom back in the day. I even had the 32X version. I had Doom II on PC. I think I beat it, but it was probably on normal difficulty.

I love it.  I can only play on UV and only recently dabbled in Nightmare.  They added a new difficulty UV+ which is basically nightmare with less ammo and non respawning enemies.  Its just about the perfect balance.

Just now, docile tapeworm said:

c'mon. run it back. you can score better.

Haha maybe.  I dunno if I can get a good run like that!  If my score can't be  accepted or I can't show a way to prove it, thats ok.  I did it for me anyway.  I'm not gonna put up a fight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The trivia was that I've never won a shooter or puzzle contest. Have you started drinking already? It's not Wednesday. 

oh i thought that was the question in the form of an answer. my bad.

puzzle isnt real vidoe games.

shooter. platforming. beat um ups. in that order. 

• Angry 1

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

oh i thought that was the question in the form of an answer. my bad.

puzzle isnt real vidoe games.

shooter. platforming. beat um ups. in that order. 

You forgot arcade, which may be the best genre of all. Puzzle games probably should be their own thing since they don't feel like regular video games..

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Eyeroll 1

I think the whole point of the NES was to create a perfect (looking) port of Donkey Kong to a home system.  That was great until the Arcades were able to add way more than what the NES could handle, which is why we got our version of Contra etc.  I wonder what the last Arcade game that was ported to the NES was? Im gonna say something like Terra Cresta.

7 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I think the whole point of the NES was to create a perfect (looking) port of Donkey Kong to a home system.  That was great until the Arcades were able to add way more than what the NES could handle, which is why we got our version of Contra etc.  I wonder what the last Arcade game that was ported to the NES was? Im gonna say something like Terra Cresta.

The arcade version of Smash TV came out in 1990, so that had to be one of the last ones. I don't remember a lot of 1990s arcade games getting ported to the NES