IGNORED

Nes boxless games

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

Question for you all, I'm slowly knocking out my nes collection.......I have 63 on my list as of right now, mostly CIB.  Can anyone tell me the unboxed ones that I can't get CIB......

Thanks in advance.  I would like to knock out as many cheapo's as I can right now.  If there is already a website or something, point me in that direction 😉  

Edit:  Which games came with no box, i.e. Super Spike V'ball/world cup......Miracle Piano.......etc.

41 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Question for you all, I'm slowly knocking out my nes collection.......I have 63 on my list as of right now, mostly CIB.  Can anyone tell me the unboxed ones that I can't get CIB......

Thanks in advance.  I would like to knock out as many cheapo's as I can right now.  If there is already a website or something, point me in that direction 😉  

Not entirely sure what you're asking here.  Based on how you've worded it, I think it really comes down to how much you're willing to spend, but my kneejerk reaction is going to be any/all of the $200+ games, as those are generally going to be bought as CIB or left to sit forever on a shelf as cart only, or, at best, cart + instructions.  In general, the vast majority of folks are willing to sell just the boxes or boxes + instructions for any of the big boys separately for less than what you could realistically buy the whole kit & kaboodle for.  So, if you pick up Little Samson or Flintstones 2 loose, don't hold your breath waiting on boxes and manuals for them without figuring that you're near certainly going to end up needing to sell the loose ones and re-buy CIB copies in order to get them to that state.

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Not entirely sure what you're asking here.  Based on how you've worded it, I think it really comes down to how much you're willing to spend, but my kneejerk reaction is going to be any/all of the $200+ games, as those are generally going to be bought as CIB or left to sit forever on a shelf as cart only, or, at best, cart + instructions.  In general, the vast majority of folks are willing to sell just the boxes or boxes + instructions for any of the big boys separately for less than what you could realistically buy the whole kit & kaboodle for.  So, if you pick up Little Samson or Flintstones 2 loose, don't hold your breath waiting on boxes and manuals for them without figuring that you're near certainly going to end up needing to sell the loose ones and re-buy CIB copies in order to get them to that state.

Which games came with no box, i.e. Super Spike V'ball/world cup......Miracle Piano.......etc.

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Which games came with no box, i.e. Super Spike V'ball/world cup......Miracle Piano.......etc.

Ooooohhhh...lol.  Pretty sure it's those two, SMB/DH, and SMB/DH/WCTM.  Everything else was released at retail at some point and included a proper box.  I've heard of some other odd system/game combos over the years that weren't at all common, but none of the games released in that way (SMB3, for instance) either failed to come in a box within that combo or at least have a boxed version available via non-combo purchase.  I know that in the NA days I saw that someone had made up really nice "repro" (quotes are because they didn't really exist, so the homebrew version was the only one to actually exist) boxes for Miracle Piano, but I don't believe I ever saw any proper ones made for any of the others.

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

Ooooohhhh...lol.  Pretty sure it's those two, SMB/DH, and SMB/DH/WCTM.  Everything else was released at retail at some point and included a proper box.  I've heard of some other odd system/game combos over the years that weren't at all common, but none of the games released in that way (SMB3, for instance) either failed to come in a box within that combo or at least have a boxed version available via non-combo purchase.  I know that in the NA days I saw that someone had made up really nice "repro" (quotes are because they didn't really exist, so the homebrew version was the only one to actually exist) boxes for Miracle Piano, but I don't believe I ever saw any proper ones made for any of the others.

ya @jonebone has miracle piano and the afformentioned superspike v'ball/world cup on ebay, or had, with repro. boxes.  Thanks for the answer, if that is all, then I should be able to get those pretty easily i would hope 😆  Figured I would knock out the unboxed games quickly, if that is all, im almost done 😆

Every NES retail game came in a box.  Miracle Piano came in a box; SMB/DH came in a box, the other combo carts as well...  it's just a matter of where do you want to draw the line?  Does the box have to be of standard dimensions?  If so, what if it's slightly bigger (Carmen Sandiego, Stack UP) or maybe twice as big (Arkanoid, Dizzy the Adventurer)?

This is one of the attributes that always bugged me about the NA database: it had a big "no box" symbol for Miracle Piano that you couldn't change... and it's like a wtf for me... wadda ya mean, no box?!?!  I've seen Miracle Piano for sale CIB a thousand times!  Same with SMB/DH, it has a box: if you want it CIB, get the Action Set... 😛

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
8 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Every NES retail game came in a box.  Miracle Piano came in a box; SMB/DH came in a box, the other combo carts as well...  it's just a matter of where do you want to draw the line?  Does the box have to be of standard dimensions?  If so, what if it's slightly bigger (Carmen Sandiego, Stack UP) or maybe twice as big (Arkanoid, Dizzy the Adventurer)?

This is one of the attributes that always bugged me about the NA database: it had a big "no box" symbol for Miracle Piano that you couldn't change... and it's like a wtf for me... wadda ya mean, no box?!?!  I've seen Miracle Piano for sale CIB a thousand times!  Same with SMB/DH, it has a box: if you want it CIB, get the Action Set... 😛

so you mean the set for it right, as in the piano, etc.  and action sets for the rest?  I'm really not looking to collect all the nes action sets etc.  Just wanting the games.  Eventually, piano if i so choose so, and can put the cart in with it.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

so you mean the set for it right, as in the piano, etc.  and action sets for the rest?  I'm really not looking to collect all the nes action sets etc.  Just wanting the games.  Eventually, piano if i so choose so, and can put the cart in with it.

Yeah, that's what he meant.  I mean, if you're going to define "boxes" in that manner, why stop there?  All of this stuff came packed in factory cases, so I guess it's not really "complete" unless you have the factory shipper boxes that they call originally shipped in...right?  🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yeah, that's what he meant.  I mean, if you're going to define "boxes" in that manner, why stop there?  All of this stuff came packed in factory cases, so I guess it's not really "complete" unless you have the factory shipper boxes that they call originally shipped in...right?  🤪

i figured as much, but just wanted to make sure.  Thanks for the help everyone!  If there are anymore that anyone wants to set out, then just feel free, i just wanna make sure I get what i can, when I can and do it accurately.

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

My point was more a question of where do you (or Jeevan, specifically) draw the line?  Carmen SanDiego came in a slightly larger box with the big book inside, but it's still sort of the same shape as a standard retail NES box, so would he count that?  Then Stack-Up is a little bigger, and then Arkanoid is a little bigger than that, and so on upward until you get to a box the size of Miracle Piano.  So the factory cases analogy is pretty silly as we're obviously talking about retail display boxes, it's just that it's a pretty grey area and each CIB collector has to decide at what point the size of the box is too unwieldy to want to have it in your home...

3 hours ago, Jeevan said:

You'd only need a single Action Set to have SMB/DH CIB; it's not like you'd have to dedicate a giant storage facility to your vast collection of Action Sets.  Plus it looks kind of nice on display...

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You'd only need a single Action Set to have SMB/DH CIB; it's not like you'd have to dedicate a giant storage facility to your vast collection of Action Sets.  Plus it looks kind of nice on display...

true, but im not going that far 😉  maybe eventually, but not right now.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

My point was more a question of where do you (or Jeevan, specifically) draw the line?  Carmen SanDiego came in a slightly larger box with the big book inside, but it's still sort of the same shape as a standard retail NES box, so would he count that?  Then Stack-Up is a little bigger, and then Arkanoid is a little bigger than that, and so on upward until you get to a box the size of Miracle Piano.  So the factory cases analogy is pretty silly as we're obviously talking about retail display boxes, it's just that it's a pretty grey area and each CIB collector has to decide at what point the size of the box is too unwieldy to want to have it in your home...

If we're collecting cartridges, which is clearly the case here, right there.  SMB/DH, Miracle Piano, etc., did not come with a cartridge box, which was clearly inferred (then specified when I was confused about what Jeeves originally asked).  If you look at other games that were packed in (Duck Hunt and Gyromite in the very first NES sets released, SMB3 in later system sets, etc.), there are examples of Nintendo packing in games but including the packaging specifically for those games.  The retail packaging for a few games were larger, as you mentioned, but not outrageously so, so as to prevent them from being easily and cleanly displayed on the shelf alongside the other games.  Sticking an Action Set box or Miracle Piano set on a shelf next to other cartridges (alongside, not presented on their own separate shelf or shelves above/below/whatever) would really take some doing and disrupt everything pretty severely.

So, again, if you're going to say they came in a box, then why draw the line at the system box, since that wasn't the only packaging they only came with?  The games in question didn't come in boxes of their own, they were included as part of another set with display boxes intended for systems, large system addons, etc., and weren't just retail packaging for the game; an argument could be made toward the piano (which I personally think falls flat because the company was into selling the pianos versus the software, since they sold the same hardware across numerous systems and quickly ported their software to faciltate its use there), but arguing for the system boxes just falls flat, as they're first and foremost for those systems--not the "freebie" games packed inside.

4 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

If we're collecting cartridges, which is clearly the case here, right there.  SMB/DH, Miracle Piano, etc., did not come with a cartridge box, which was clearly inferred (then specified when I was confused about what Jeeves originally asked).  If you look at other games that were packed in (Duck Hunt and Gyromite in the very first NES sets released, SMB3 in later system sets, etc.), there are examples of Nintendo packing in games but including the packaging specifically for those games.  The retail packaging for a few games were larger, as you mentioned, but not outrageously so, so as to prevent them from being easily and cleanly displayed on the shelf alongside the other games.  Sticking an Action Set box or Miracle Piano set on a shelf next to other cartridges (alongside, not presented on their own separate shelf or shelves above/below/whatever) would really take some doing and disrupt everything pretty severely.

So, again, if you're going to say they came in a box, then why draw the line at the system box, since that wasn't the only packaging they only came with?  The games in question didn't come in boxes of their own, they were included as part of another set with display boxes intended for systems, large system addons, etc., and weren't just retail packaging for the game; an argument could be made toward the piano (which I personally think falls flat because the company was into selling the pianos versus the software, since they sold the same hardware across numerous systems and quickly ported their software to faciltate its use there), but arguing for the system boxes just falls flat, as they're first and foremost for those systems--not the "freebie" games packed inside.

You can collect whatever you want, however you want, just don't pretend that the combo carts did not come in a box, or set up a strawman argument that there is some sort of law stating that boxes don't count if they can't be displayed a certain way.

Who cares what else came in the boxes with these games?  Everything that came in the Miracle Piano box is there for the purpose of being used with the Miracle Piano Game Pak; if you don't want to collect the box because it's too big for your tastes, that's fine, but you don't need to post a wall of text trying to justify your actions.  Miracle Piano was sold at retail CIB; if you don't want to collect any/all of the components, that's fine... 🙂

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

but arguing for the system boxes just falls flat, as they're first and foremost for those systems--not the "freebie" games packed inside.

I guess this falls down to semantics, or how you want to define what you collect.  I've been collecting NES CIB for decades, and for me that means collecting everything that came with every game; so if I want everything that came with SMB/DH, I need to get an Action Set.  If I want everything that came with World Class Track Meet, I need to get the retail release of the Power Pad, because the only way to CIB the stand-alone WCTM cart is with the stand-alone manual, both of which were only released in the retail Power Pad box.

If you want to define CIB NES collecting as only acquiring game boxes that were roughly the size of an NES cartridge, that's fine, just know that you won't be getting all of the components that came with every game in the NES library, which to me, is what collecting CIB is by definition...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I guess this falls down to semantics, or how you want to define what you collect.  I've been collecting NES CIB for decades, and for me that means collecting everything that came with every game; so if I want everything that came with SMB/DH, I need to get an Action Set.  If I want everything that came with World Class Track Meet, I need to get the retail release of the Power Pad, because the only way to CIB the stand-alone WCTM cart is with the stand-alone manual, both of which were only released in the retail Power Pad box.

If you want to define CIB NES collecting as only acquiring game boxes that were roughly the size of an NES cartridge, that's fine, just know that you won't be getting all of the components that came with every game in the NES library, which to me, is what collecting CIB is by definition...

So, legit question here--you specify collecting CIB but needing to get all of the components that came with the games.  So, in your collection, do you actually have every plastic slip cover baggie, every sticker, warranty card, specific-to-that-game-in-that-era Nintendo Power insert, etc.?  I could call that "complete" collecting versus CIB (more commonly understood as Cart, Instructions, Box).  If one doesn't actually have all of the minutiae of paperwork that came in each box when it was originally distributed, I'd argue that they're not really concerned about having all of the components that came with every game in the NES library at all.  You might have or be after all that paperwork, but it's not stated here and I don't honestly know.  Also, if that's the case, how maddening is it to not have the specific/correct twist ties, plastic baggies, etc., when picking up games that weren't just games?  I would imagine that stuff would be virtually impossible to get if it wasn't there already, not without just throwing in whatever fit the bill (which, at that point, would be entering "repro" territory).

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

So, legit question here--you specify collecting CIB but needing to get all of the components that came with the games.  So, in your collection, do you actually have every plastic slip cover baggie, every sticker, warranty card, specific-to-that-game-in-that-era Nintendo Power insert, etc.?  I could call that "complete" collecting versus CIB (more commonly understood as Cart, Instructions, Box).  If one doesn't actually have all of the minutiae of paperwork that came in each box when it was originally distributed, I'd argue that they're not really concerned about having all of the components that came with every game in the NES library at all.  You might have or be after all that paperwork, but it's not stated here and I don't honestly know.  Also, if that's the case, how maddening is it to not have the specific/correct twist ties, plastic baggies, etc., when picking up games that weren't just games?  I would imagine that stuff would be virtually impossible to get if it wasn't there already, not without just throwing in whatever fit the bill (which, at that point, would be entering "repro" territory).

I'm going for everything that each NES game came with *except* the outer cellophane wrap they were sealed in and the inner plastic bag that the cartridge was placed in; so that means all known inserts and the styro block for each game.  But the C-I-B is by far the most important; I go for those first and worry about other inserts later.  And the fact that you spell out CIB as an acronym where "B" specifically stands for box is what makes this argument so maddening to me: I mean, the word box is right in your own definition!!!

I get that system boxes are large and cumbersome, but if you want to have everything that SMB/DH came with, the Action Set box is part of that.  And you know all those inserts that came in the Action Set in that big bag?  Well the SMB/DH manual is one of those inserts; it didn't come with the game - it came with the Action Set, just like the cartridge.  For people who don't count the box as part of a complete SMB/DH, why are they counting the manual?!?

Anyway, Jeeves had his question answered long ago, so let's just agree to disagree.  I'll continue to go after all those ungodly-sized NES boxes while everyone else is thumbing their noses in disgust.......

21 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

This is the correct answer. All of these games came in boxes with additional contents. If someone doesn't want to collect those boxes, that's fine but don't pretend they don't exist.

1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

So, legit question here--you specify collecting CIB but needing to get all of the components that came with the games.  So, in your collection, do you actually have every plastic slip cover baggie, every sticker, warranty card, specific-to-that-game-in-that-era Nintendo Power insert, etc.?  I could call that "complete" collecting versus CIB (more commonly understood as Cart, Instructions, Box). 

Yes.........yes I do. Not only that but I'm collecting every variant of every game with all of the various contents that came in each variant.

Events Helper · Posted

Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to know.  I do want to get the necessary means to play all these games, but do not have to have boxes for the ones mentioned before in the thread!  Thanks again, and happy hunting for all your needs as I wouldn't wanna go down the nes box rabbit hole and inserts etc. 😆  I have enough of a problem, and strain on ye olde bank account, to figure out how to get all the boxes that i do need/want 😉  

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 9:50 AM, Jeevan said:

Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to know.  I do want to get the necessary means to play all these games, but do not have to have boxes for the ones mentioned before in the thread!  Thanks again, and happy hunting for all your needs as I wouldn't wanna go down the nes box rabbit hole and inserts etc. 😆  I have enough of a problem, and strain on ye olde bank account, to figure out how to get all the boxes that i do need/want 😉  

As a heads up, all of the pianos for Miracle Piano are functionally and structurally identical, although only the ones for the NES and SNES have the Nintendo seal on them, which would be the technically correct one(s) to have to match the NES cart.  The hardest part to get if you're not getting it as a set is the cable, and your mileage will likely vary wildly if you try using a homemade one (there are instructions online as to which wires inside an NES controller match their respective pins on a full parallel/serial plug, but in my experience they haven't worked while the real deal cable always has).  If you're interested in checking it out cross-platform, you really only need to worry about picking up a single piano, although you would need to track down the appropriate software and adapters for other platforms (SNES/Genesis/PC/Mac).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/4/2022 at 12:29 AM, Code Monkey said:

Not only that but I'm collecting every variant of every game with all of the various contents that came in each variant.

Including serial-number variants? That would mean collecting every copy ever of every game ever made... ever...

-CasualCart

2118515083_BuyAllGames.jpg.00798aa3f1f3e94448d003c2998300bf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/5/2022 at 2:04 PM, darkchylde28 said:

As a heads up, all of the pianos for Miracle Piano are functionally and structurally identical, although only the ones for the NES and SNES have the Nintendo seal on them, which would be the technically correct one(s) to have to match the NES cart.

The rabbit hole actually goes a little deeper than that.  The "real" NES version has NES related material (images and text) all over the box: front, back and sides, but it must've sold better than expected, because the majority of supposed NES Miracle Piano boxes out there are actually the generic/original PC box with a sticker slapped on the front of the box to signify that it is for the NES.  I don't know how many times an NES collector has told me he has a boxed/CIB NES Miracle Piano over the years, only to see that it's really just the PC conversion with the NES sticker on the front.  The real NES Miracle Piano box is actually a bit of a pain to track down, especially in good condition...

Edited by Dr. Morbis