IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Just knocked off Othello.  A LOT more effort than it really should be...basically had to follow along with a YouTube video and hope like hell the level 5 CPU didn't throw a wrench into it like it did against TMR (who's video I was following initially).  Level 4 seems to play out without variance, but occasionally the Level 5 one doesn't cooperate.  Took me three attempts to pull off the victory while essentially following a walkthrough.  Yikes.

Wrecking Crew is done. Now that I'm done with this, I'll start Fire N Ice in the next couple of days unless someone else has already or desperately wants to start it for a first-time completion. (Speak up NOW!) These kinds of puzzle games are nice to play in-between marathon sessions of longer games. Speaking of which, I started Magic of Scheherazade last night. One "chapter" down, four to go.

With Wrecking Crew completed, I have now surpassed @Doctornick's 2015 Championship score and eclipsed the 700 point mark for the fourth time. I'm also a completion or two away from edging past my 2020 championship score and moving into third place all-time.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

Raid 2020 is done. You're welcome, y'all.

This game is so broken that you can't even pause properly. The start button is your standard pause, and it didn't even respond every time I used it. Select takes you back to your mission briefing screen. Neither seems to last permanently; instead, they restart your game from your previous place after some number of seconds. Worse yet, if you try to pause with start in Pitbull's lair at the end, this game is such a hot mess that it automatically resets to the title screen. I had to replay the first 80% of the game twice, and desperately had to avoid my impulse to pause on my third time through the last stage.

• Wow! 1

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Raid 2020 is done. You're welcome, y'all.

This game is so broken that you can't even pause properly. The start button is your standard pause, and it didn't even respond every time I used it. Select takes you back to your mission briefing screen. Neither seems to last permanently; instead, they restart your game from your previous place after some number of seconds. Worse yet, if you try to pause with start in Pitbull's lair at the end, this game is such a hot mess that it automatically resets to the title screen. I had to replay the first 80% of the game twice, and desperately had to avoid my impulse to pause on my third time through the last stage.

We're you playing on a cartridge in an actual NES or on an emulator?  Because if you're playing on real hardware, I'll have to remember this pause problem whenever the time comes for me to try and beat this turd...

7 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

We're you playing on a cartridge in an actual NES or on an emulator?  Because if you're playing on real hardware, I'll have to remember this pause problem whenever the time comes for me to try and beat this turd...

For the record, I was playing with my Everdrive. I have never owned a physical copy of the game, and the only time I played an original version I lost interest before completing the first stage. 

• Thanks 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 480/677 (bonus games - 56/100)

Family Feud is done.

That was a lot of work for 4 points! But I have now edged past my 2020 Championship score, into the third highest points total in the history of this competition. I don't know if I'll be able to catch my top two scores or not, but I feel good about my chances of getting back to 800 points for the third time, and maybe by early May at this rate.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

48 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Was wondering how long it was gonna take you to bite the bullet on [Sesame Street 123] 😛  ABC is next right? 😛

I'm just trying to keep my game-a-day streak alive as long as possible, and I had very little gaming time today. I wanted to finish Magic of Scheherazade, but I have almost two chapters left in that. I'll probably do ABC on the next day where I have almost no gaming time.

27 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'm just trying to keep my game-a-day streak alive as long as possible, and I had very little gaming time today. I wanted to finish Magic of Scheherazade, but I have almost two chapters left in that. I'll probably do ABC on the next day where I have almost no gaming time.

That's not a bad idea tbh.  It's not like anyone's clamouring to get those ones off the list 😛  Magic of Scheherazade is one of those games I've been meaning to put time into as well.  I love the game, but never put the time in to beating it.  Maybe next year.

Anyway, for my progress report, I've now hit the 50% mark on Conflict, all on the highest difficulty.  I've noticed I'm having the best luck just straight rushing to the base tank and hoping for the best - you can't afford to take casualties, but if the RNG goes your way, you can usually get there within the first few turns and take it out.  By the time you build up the points to build anything of any use, it's too late to matter anyway as you'll likely take out two or three units along the way.  Also got my 12th win in Bases Loaded...haven't been putting much effort into it, but any time I have 20 minutes to kill I knock a game off.  15% down and counting.

10 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyway, for my progress report, I've now hit the 50% mark on Conflict, all on the highest difficulty.  I've noticed I'm having the best luck just straight rushing to the base tank and hoping for the best - you can't afford to take casualties, but if the RNG goes your way, you can usually get there within the first few turns and take it out.  By the time you build up the points to build anything of any use, it's too late to matter anyway as you'll likely take out two or three units along the way.  

I can't really imagine trying to play through that without being able to build any meaningful reinforcements. The high-end units are so much more powerful and mobile, especially aircraft. As military strategy goes, Conflict seems to be among the most realistic yet severely unbalanced as a game. 

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 482/677 (bonus games - 56/100)

Legacy of the Wizard finally beaten. This game has been on my to-beat list longer than any other game, ever since I saw the preview for it in Nintendo Power in 1988. And it was a workout. On the surface,the game appears to be an action-RPG with metroidvania elements, but it's really an action-puzzler, somewhat like Castlequest or Milon. I never quite got the controls down for the block moving glove, and each time it slides the wrong way you have to leave the room to reset each puzzle. I don't know how anybody could beat this game without a guide. I used the one on the U Can Beat Video Games YouTube channel and it was still a struggle.

PXL_20220329_233646923.jpg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 484/677 (bonus games - 56/100)

The Magic of Scheherazade is done.

This is my 200th completion of the year. This is only the second time I've had 200 completions in a year. The record is 220 from 2019, where I also set the all-time points record. I'm not sure if I can catch either of those records, unless I can find several new conquests among the last 235 games.

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 487/677 (bonus games - 56/100)

The Goonies is done.

This was a first-time completion for me. It was manageable, but not a gimme, with help from maps of the stages available on StrategyWiki. Of course, I was just trying to play through it quickly without gathering any of the special power-up items.

I may try my hand at getting a first-time completion at Goonies II later this week.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 487/677 (bonus games - 59/100)
6 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

I finished a couple backlog games so I’ll start plucking away at Lolo again. 

I can and likely will knock out rainbow island this week too

I was planning to ask you how far along you were with Lolo 3.

And also whether @Jeevan had made any progress on Dragon Warrior II.

EDIT: I had to get home and edit this with my computer, because I couldn't tag Jeevan.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

Events Helper · Posted
4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I was planning to ask you how far along you were with Lolo 3.

And also whether @Jeevan had made any progress on Dragon Warrior II.

EDIT: I had to get home and edit this with my computer, because I couldn't tag Jeevan.

fell free if u got it handy, I got sidetracked with irl stuff.  if no one does in a few I'll hit it.

15 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

fell free if u got it handy, I got sidetracked with irl stuff.  if no one does in a few I'll hit it.

I'm probably a week to two weeks away from starting an RPG. I wouldn't mind doing either Dragon Warrior II or IV, so it's just a question of whether anyone else has started either of them or plans to do so imminently. Since you've mentioned DW2 a couple of times, I figured I should check in with you as I get close to my decision.

Events Helper · Posted
9 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'm probably a week to two weeks away from starting an RPG. I wouldn't mind doing either Dragon Warrior II or IV, so it's just a question of whether anyone else has started either of them or plans to do so imminently. Since you've mentioned DW2 a couple of times, I figured I should check in with you as I get close to my decision.

I have not, if I don't mention in the next week feel free 😉