IGNORED

Mega Man 3 Alternate Artwork Sells for $556

46 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Thought it was the painting/picture. Still neat though. 

I'm not sure what a "production cell" as it's called in the article is, but if it's anything like an animation cel, (one L), it is painted. Although I'd be surprised if the original painting were this small. Maybe it's a step in some photostat process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Link said:

I'm not sure what a "production cell" as it's called in the article is, but if it's anything like an animation cel, (one L), it is painted. Although I'd be surprised if the original painting were this small. Maybe it's a step in some photostat process. 

Yeah I'm really not sure. Interesting, though. 

Just thought $556 would be a STEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAL if it was "full size". 🤣

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

this is sweet.

Damn we really did get the worst art in USA

lol and here I am, saying this is not as good. Different strokes.

I much prefer the dynamic layout and action scene of the US art to this hall of faces and plain generic background. I also appreciate the evident paint medium and color fidelity on it. Whether that's appealing is up to the viewer, but aside from the impish face I don't think it's fair to say it's bad in any way. His body, the other characters, the landscape, castle, and background, and sky are all pretty well done. In both the released and alternate.

With the UK version Mega Man's face looks better, or at least adheres to the style in the manual and the actual graphics. Wily does not do that and does not look very good. The rendering of him is far more skilled than MM1USA, but he looks afraid rather than menacing, and the realistic level of detail feels out of place with the cartoon characters in the foreground. 

Edited by Link
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Link said:

lol and here I am, saying this is not as good. Different strokes.

I much prefer the dynamic layout and action scene of the US art to this hall of faces and plain generic background. I also appreciate the evident paint medium and color fidelity on it. Whether that's appealing is up to the viewer, but aside from the impish face I don't think it's fair to say it's bad in any way. His body, the other characters, the landscape, castle, and background, and sky are all pretty well done. In both the released and alternate.

With the UK version Mega Man's face looks better, or at least adheres to the style in the manual and the actual graphics. Wily does not do that and does not look very good. The rendering of him is far more skilled than MM1USA, but he looks afraid rather than menacing, and the realistic level of detail feels out of place with the cartoon characters in the foreground. 

The different robot master themes was a huge draw for me to mega man, so seeing them all lined up like that makes it desirable. I can see how the US art is more dynamic and interesting however. 

• Like 2