IGNORED

What's your opinion on Inindo?

tigerwolf

I admit it. I have this self-defeating obsession with Inindo on the SNES. I know I play these games with some serious pro-Koei bias and rose-tinted glasses, but for some weird reason I keep coming back to this game.

It's cryptic, sluggish, grindy, and has some of the most mind-shatteringly awful dungeons in the history of RPGs. It has terribly slow UI. The graphics look worse than an NES game. The instruments in some of the songs are shrill and grating. 

But it may also have one of the most unique blends of game mechanics in the 80s-90s. Autonomous NPCs that hunt you down to steal your gold. Building relationships with daimyo, then acting as their secret spy or saboteur. Joining soldiers in wars. Forging friendships with other NPCs so you can either have them help you in dungeons or steal all their items to make a quick buck. 

The stupidest part is that I almost always give up the game in the first third, forget about it for a few months, then start a new save. I'm trying to force myself through the game to the end, but it's such a slow grind to build up my party's levels. 

Am I the only one who's fascinated with this game? Or are there other folks like me with a penchant for oddities.

A well-written and thorough overview of a deeply-flawed game there. Well done @Reed Rothchild- not much to add to that writeup. The main thing missing is the very odd choice in the game where you get Easy or Hard mode when leaving the first dungeon. You either see Nobunaga looking unscathed, or a bandaged one with fire behind him. This sets the course for the entire game. If you're unlucky enough to roll the Hard Mode, then all random battles seem tougher, and the end boss ends up way more challenging. For a game that's already a candidate for Most Grindy Game Ever, it's certainly not ideal. 

It's the Koei meta-game that's most interesting about Inindo for me, and what keeps me coming back. The spreadsheet of managing relationships between characters and daimyo is a neat idea I've not really seen in a lot of other games. And the passage of time is interesting, too. That you have the first half of the month to get a job, then the last half for completing work, then the grand strategy map shows up for the end of the month, showing the overall strategy of each daimyo. On paper, it's intriguing. In execution, it's lacklustre, stiff, and grindy. But somehow it keeps me hooked for some reason. I think it's because it's the only Kou Shibusawa Koei game that touches on what happens "on the ground" in-between all the grand strategy. 

It's an unhealthy relationship, I confess. Tedious but fascinating.

On 11/22/2021 at 6:21 AM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

I have a RoTKII fetish so your username is an out of control reference for me my dude.

I hate Inindo tho. For a JRPG experience set in that KOEI-esque universe I'll play Destiny of an Emperor on NES.

Very glad to meet a fellow RTK2 fan! It's my fave game.

And you're right - Destiny of an Emperor is a better JRPG. One day I need to finish the fan-translated sequel. 

The only downside is that Destiny doesn't scratch the Edo-era Japan itch. 

• Like 1

As Reed's write-up suggests, there must be something wrong with me; I've long wanted - and still want - to try this game.

I'm a big Koei fan like tigerwolf (although I think he might even be more passionate about the Simulation series than I am) but I've never played Inindo. I've always been intrigued by what I've seen about the game, and despite what I'm reading here, I'm getting those 'challenge accepted' feelings.

It's been a rough year for me to try and eke out the time for much gaming, but I think I still want to come around to Inindo eventually when time (and having beaten other games first) permits.

• Love 1

On 11/26/2021 at 3:56 PM, Renmauzo said:

As Reed's write-up suggests, there must be something wrong with me; I've long wanted - and still want - to try this game.

I'm a big Koei fan like tigerwolf (although I think he might even be more passionate about the Simulation series than I am) but I've never played Inindo. I've always been intrigued by what I've seen about the game, and despite what I'm reading here, I'm getting those 'challenge accepted' feelings.

It's been a rough year for me to try and eke out the time for much gaming, but I think I still want to come around to Inindo eventually when time (and having beaten other games first) permits.

I just beat @Reed Rothchildto the punch and completed the game. Some bad video footage of most of the lame ending here: 

If you do choose to play @Renmauzo, here are a few tips:

- the caves are long and sucky. Use maps without shame. 

- SNES Central has a walkthrough that includes recommended levels you should be at for each cave or optional quest: https://snescentral.com/0/1/8/0180/walkthrough_casmaster.html

- do not skip grinding. You need to grind levels whether you like it or not.

- stay in the first cave and grind until you reach Level 7. It will feel long, but it sets you up immediately to be able to recruit allies into your party. 

- every single point matters. If you find an item with a 2 point gain on any stat, upgrade without pause. The game's levelling is tight and 'swingy'. You will notice a huge difference in your power and defense with every level up.

- in the early game, steal. Make friends with Sohei, and feel no shame about taking their Gold Suits. The sooner you can get higher-power weapons and armor, the better.

- many weapons have powers when you use them as an item. You NEED these items, as they often end up far more powerful than your attacks. For example, the Health Rock near the end of the game casts Heal 3, which gives you 50HP of healing for every character in your party. But without using up your previous magic points.

- Sleep Bombs have a 100% success rate for putting enemies and bosses to sleep. At 350GP each, they are the biggest bargain in the game. A MUST for the final two bosses. 

- having at least one healing character and a strong fighter like a Swordsman or Ronin is key. You want your healer to have Wings, so you can cast that spell to teleport from city to city. You really want to save as much game time as you can. The earlier you get to Nobunaga, the better. He gets more powerful in later years, it seems. 

- enjoy the fun of befriending people in Inns, spying for daimyo, and joining wars. Somehow this is the most interesting aspect of the game to me -- the meta-game

Edited by tigerwolf
  • Thanks 1