IGNORED

Turrican

guitarzombie

Am I the only one that just loves this game/series?  I never hear it talked about.  Maybe I just miss the discussions.

I heard about Super Turrican for the NES (PAL only release, althought was teased for a US release in 92/93 IIRC).  Bought it a while ago and loved it.  Just recently I just got Turrican Flashback for the Switch, so I finally got to play the real Amiga ST versions, along with Mega Turrican (Sega) and Super Turrican (SNES) and loved them!  I also have it for Game Boy and Universal Soldier (which is really supposed to be Turrican 2).

I haven't played the others but I've been jonesing to keep Playing Turrican 1.  I think its my fav.  I wasn't in love with Mega Turrican but I have to play it a few more times.  I thought it was just a bit harder than the others in an unfair way.

Anyway, lets say you?

30 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I always thought it looked cool, but never spent any real time with it.

Have you played the Super Turrican Director's Cut that was released with the Analogue Super Nt?

I have not but I did hear about it.  I believe its the same people that did the Turrican Flashback release that just wanted to 'rerelease' the SNES games correct?  I don't know how much its different.

20 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Spoiler: I think very highly of Super Turrican 2

The flashback only has the 4 games I listed but I believe the Anthology will have it.  I heard its very different.  

Also I have no idea how they got away with all the blatant Alien ripoff stuff in the SNES/Genesis versions.  I think its great but it was surprising there wasn't some sort of lawsuit.  

Cool to see you tried the NES port, super underrated game. Might even be in my top 20.  I also like how intricate but sensible the controls are, lots of fun. It's also notable the original creator programmed/designed/composed everything in that port. 

I've actually yet to play the Amiga originals (don't really have access to Amiga in US), but they look just as good.  Mega Turrican on Genesis was my first real introduction to the series.  The soundtrack by Chris Huelsbeck hooked me in.  I think I can agree with you about the difficulty, I remember some of the later areas being tough/long, but might have to try again.

In regards to the series, perhaps it was more popular in Europe? Glad to see it getting some recognition now though.  If I had a Switch I'd like to check out the flashback collection to play the originals, looks solid. 

• Like 1

I have never played any of them, but I definitely see them mentioned all the time as some of the best action games for their respective platforms. Not as well known as something like Contra, for sure, but even without ever trying one out for myself, I know they are highly regarded games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I beat Mega Turrican years ago. Never played the others. I liked it a lot.

I still have my Mega Turrican cart and box that I paid $5 for in the early 00s.

The SNES version is pretty similar but I have to say I liked it better.  I suppose because of the button constraints for the Genesis they couldn't use the laser but made it some sort of pulley, but that didn't stop the NES version for having just about everything haha.

3 hours ago, asmikace said:

Love Mega Turrican and thee bastardized Universal Soldier on the Genesis. Turrican 1 on the Genesis really hard due to the instant draining of health in the game. I really been wanting to play the SNES ones and even the European NES port.

That health draining thing is also present in the Amiga port, as well as Turrican 2.  Curious to try that genesis port.

3 hours ago, JeremiahJT said:

I have tried to play the TurboGrafx-16 version, but I just cannot get into. I think the high difficulty does hurt the game. And the controls.

The controls take a little to get used to, but this is one of those games that's very generous with 1 ups and health, you just have to keep checking for hidden blocks.  Also saving your powerful grenades just for the boss and they usually go down real quick.

17 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

That health draining thing is also present in the Amiga port, as well as Turrican 2.  Curious to try that genesis port.

The controls take a little to get used to, but this is one of those games that's very generous with 1 ups and health, you just have to keep checking for hidden blocks.  Also saving your powerful grenades just for the boss and they usually go down real quick.

Unfortunately it does not give you any invincibility frames and your health depletes fast. I believe I made it to the fish boss and as I recall the grenades did not seem to do much damage to it.

They're def strong enough.  I held back on the grenades but watch playthrus and saw how powerful they were.  I think it was an interesting move to do that with the health bar, instead of enemies doing a set amount of damage.  

It certainly is a tough game, but I think there are plenty others tougher on the SNES and NES.

I don't really understand the popularity of the Turrican series, they seem to come ripe with every mistake typically made by European game devs in the early 90s. Terrible visibility, huge confusing stages, enemy bullet sponges, and no feedback on damage, no knockback or invincibility frames, allowing you to just stand in place and soak up damage.

That said I've yet to try either of the SNES games. They don't seem to be as popular, so I never gave them any attention.

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

I don't really understand the popularity of the Turrican series, they seem to come ripe with every mistake typically made by European game devs in the early 90s. 

Well, they're mistakes to you.  The only thing I found bizarre is how 'forward' the character is on the screen, instead of more in the middle or the left side.  I think it was more of an issue on the NES version, but the Amiga ports seem fine.  But after a while, I didn't mind.  

I also didn't realize that Turrican 3 was actually created FOR the Genesis, then ported to the Amiga (As Turrican 3) but the Genesis version came after because of publishing reasons.  I believe they're exactly the same, but the SNES version is different.  So I think its odd they changed the energy beam to that pulley thing.  Now I wanna give it another shot.

• 2 weeks later...