IGNORED

Music Debate #115: Van Halen

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking band. Or artist.
    • 8/10 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. More than a few songs you like. You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area. Or still alive.
    • 5/10 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time. You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.

^that sums it up for me. I mean, "Running With The Devil" is amazing. And certainly, if hard-pressed, I could cull their entire discography down to like a dozen-song playlist that I'd be happy enough to listen to. If I had to. But as I mentioned in the Nirvana thread, Nirvana/grunge/late 80s "college rock"/early 90's alternative - that's the stuff that really molded my ears. So to me, VH kind of felt like music that my older cousins listened to or whatever. It wasn't "my" music.

Kinda hard not to put a 10 for me. Van Halen was a huge guitar influence and have/had never heard anything quite like it. Great party music and I still listen to them quite a bit. Pretty unique band with DLR and his sideshow antics. Saw them live twice and likely the loudest concert I've ever been to. 

Like a lot of classic rock stuff, there is definitely some over playing of certain songs. 

So close to being a 10, but I'm going with 9 because I want to limit myself to using no more than 10 votes of 10 in the music debates.  Van Halen would probably be in my top 15 if I bothered to make a list.  

Edit:  After typing this, I accidentally clicked on 10 and hit submit before I could catch myself.  Maybe that's my body trying to tell me that 10 is the correct vote.  

Edited by TDIRunner

easy 10 for me. Eddie is my #3 favorite guitarist of all time, after Hendrix and Slash. the first VH album would easily make my top 10 ever, and depending on the day, may make top 5.

i'm only counting Roth-era VH, btw. Van Hagar is a different band. Sammy Hagar's solo stuff and Montrose are both excellent, but his stuff with the Van Halen brothers never had the kick it should have.

My thing with Van Halen is that none of their albums are start to finish good. A good song here, a good song there, skip this, skip that, good song again, skip again kind of thing. As a band I give them a 7 or 7.5 but Eddie Van Valen as a guitar player I'd give a 9 out of 10. I only wish he would've done some solo albums kind of like Satriani/Vai kind of stuff and ventured outside of the rock box/band thing.

Edited by Radagast