IGNORED

The Horror movie thread

Brickman

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'm not a horror fan but had a roommate who loved these kinds of movies.  The more b rated the better.  Personally there is only one horror film/series that deserves my  attention....

Hide contents

This is a film that more than a few film critics think served as inspiration for that series:

Also really low budget it was shot over a period of a few years - since it features a teenage cast a couple of them visibly age in some scenes.  It never got a major release and went the route of the drive in circuit.  It also played on low budget independent television stations since the rental was cheap - I saw it more tnat once on the Friday night horror movies on WTCN in Minneapolis.  If you don't mind low budget efforts it is worth checking out.

The science fiction author Fritz Leiber appears in a rare acting role in the original versions of the film.

Social Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

This is a film that more than a few film critics think served as inspiration for that series:

Also really low budget it was shot over a period of a few years - since it features a teenage cast a couple of them visibly age in some scenes.  It never got a major release and went the route of the drive in circuit.  It also played on low budget independent television stations since the rental was cheap - I saw it more tnat once on the Friday night horror movies on WTCN in Minneapolis.  If you don't mind low budget efforts it is worth checking out.

The science fiction author Fritz Leiber appears in a rare acting role in the original versions of the film.

AdorableJampackedDassierat-size_restrict

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2021 at 9:55 AM, FireHazard51 said:

I'm not a horror fan but had a roommate who loved these kinds of movies.  The more b rated the better.  Personally there is only one horror film/series that deserves my  attention....

I love the Evil Dead trilogy. (The Ash vs Evil Dead tv series was great too). I even liked the Evil Dead remake. Very different tone, but still good. If you are an Evil Dead fan, I'd also recommend Return of the Living Dead and especially Braindead/Dead Alive

spacer.png

Edited by G-type
  • Like 4

I just watched Prince of Darkness again last night on Peacock.  Not Carpenter's best work, but it's always been a favorite of mine.  I really enjoy the mending of Science and Religion and some scenes are genuinely unnerving.  If you're a Carpenter fan and haven't seen it, it's a must watch for sure.

1 hour ago, MrMark0673 said:

I just watched Prince of Darkness again last night on Peacock.  Not Carpenter's best work, but it's always been a favorite of mine.  I really enjoy the mending of Science and Religion and some scenes are genuinely unnerving.  If you're a Carpenter fan and haven't seen it, it's a must watch for sure.

I actually haven’t seen this Carpenter film, thanks for the heads up on it 🙂 I’ll add it to my Halloween movie list.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Shmup said:

I actually haven’t seen this Carpenter film, thanks for the heads up on it 🙂 I’ll add it to my Halloween movie list.

I'd post a meme'd gif, but it would spoil one of my favorite jump scares of all time.

I actually put my coworker's face into the gif once for a work thing.  It was such a huge hit, but I no longer have it 😥

Dead Alive was another movie like Evil Dead I never got into.  In the mid 90s I was renting all these horror movies and when I heard about Dead Alive, it was the 'goriest' movie of all time.  I watched it and was disappointed because its like, silly, red water gore.  I was hoping it to be more realistic and serious.  Then I watched it a few years ago.  It was so obviously a comedy!  What was I thinking?  I just re-watched TCM 2 a few times.  Again, never realizing how kind of silly it is.  Its growing on me more.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Awesome. I’ll check it out. I loved the first one but was a little sceptical when I heard they would do a second.

I was thinking about it a bit.  Halloween kinda broke the genre for slashers, but after the first one, it was always trying to keep up with what was popular.  Friday the 13th, Scream/Blair Witch etc.  The past few movies seems like they stand on their own.  The problem is, you can't ever have another 'suspenseful' art horror piece like 78.  With our ADHD world it'll be too boring. So I think with this one they got all the main points right.  Great music, atmosphere, Michael comes off as truly evil and scary.  Its also got a high kill rate, so I can't say it was really lacking in anything.  Im gonna watch it again later.

17 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Great music, atmosphere, Michael comes off as truly evil and scary.  Its also got a high kill rate, so I can't say it was really lacking in anything.

This is what I loved about the first reboot, especially with making Michael so evil, I’m glad they stuck to this. I might save it specifically for a watch on Halloween.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
57 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I still need to check out the Halloween 2 remake as well as these new ones. I wasn't particularly impressed by the first remake, but I'm interested.

The new Halloween is basically a Halloween 2 remake.

As if the franchise couldn't be any more confusing 😅

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Lots of bad takes for bringing back the series.  It should have ended at 2.  But then you get 4, and 5 which puts off answering questions on someone else which 6 tries.  Its so convoluted, the hell with it, lets start over again with h20.  Another quick success leads to a rushed new one, which I absolutely hate.  So the series now going "Fuck it.  Fuck it all" I'll run with.  Id rather have 78, 18 and Kills and call that my series.  But it isn't any more as convoluted as F13.  It comes with the territory.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I just went and read up on the series and yeah... It's almost as convoluted as the Saw mythology. I totally forgot that H2O and Resurrection even existed. It's crazy how this series has endures.