IGNORED

The Horror movie thread

Brickman

I couldn't find any threads that discussed horror movies so I've decided to create one. I'm pretty sure there's a few horror movie fans here. Discuss what you're watching, let us know some of your favourites or even show off your horror movie/collectibles collection!

I'll start by recommending two fantastic B grade movies I watched recently.

The first is Pieces.

I don't really have words that accurately describe this movie but it is absolutely so bad it is fantastic. The premise is that a teenage boy is playing with a nudie puzzle and his mum tells him off so he kills her (as you do). The movie skips to 40 years later and college co-eds are being killed for their body parts. Watch out for a hilarious kung fu scene that makes no sense with Bruce Le (Bruce Lee impersonator).

Second movie is Chopping Mall. This is actually a really good B movie and overall pretty well acted for a horror movie. The movie is non stop and is really well shot. The soundtrack is amazing and has probably one of the best head explosion scenes. The story is essentially about a group of teenagers in a shopping mall that have to fight security robots:

• Like 3
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Horror you say?

IMG_20201025_182548.jpg

IMG_20200825_130331.jpg

A god among men! I figured you would have a collection but didn't know it was this big! Nice work, I aspire to reach this level one day. Do you compare blu ray releases to see which has the better version? i.e arrow vs scream factory? Or is that just me? haha.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Shmup said:

A god among men! I figured you would have a collection but didn't know it was this big! Nice work, I aspire to reach this level one day. Do you compare blu ray releases to see which has the better version? i.e arrow vs scream factory? Or is that just me? haha.

I generally stuck with what got US releases.  And generally just the first boutique release.  I dont really have any of the reissues they've done recently.  ie I have a lot of Blue Underground Stuff, but not the later Arrow releases for the same titles.

• Like 1

I have lots of horror on laser and on dvd - lots of obscure stuff - and lots of things I really need to get around to throwing on the tube.

I recently picked up a dvd (which is really hard to find) of this:

It has Cassandra Peterson (Elvira) in a cameo and looks pretty camp.  I really need to watch it soon.

Here are couple of more obscure things worth checking out:

And a scarecrow movie about,well, scarecrows -  that is actually pretty good - I don't know why but most scarecrow movies just suck.

And @Reed Rothchild - I certainly hope those Sleepaway Camps were dupes - that series is my favorite (along with the Final Destinations) - once you get with the flow and realise that they really sublime black comedies hidden beneath a layer of really dumb they are immensely enjoyable.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Also I have a couple more rows that were cut off.  And I sold off stuff that went crazy with COVID.  Like Sleepaway Camp 2 and 3.

I was just looking on ebay this past weekend, apparently the "red cross" version of the box set goes for a pretty penny, and we have one sitting in a closet right now. (We're strongly considering selling  off our entire DVD collection, given we haven't really watched a DVD in like 3 years...)

Editorials Team · Posted

Some other slightly lesser-known titles I really enjoy:

Dolls, Brain Damage, Street Trash, Society, Deadbeat by Dawn, Bad Moon, The Entity, Ghost Story, Session 9, Neon Maniacs, The Unseen, Death Ship, Hardware, Bloody Birthday, Waxwork, Blood Diner, Humanoids from the Deep, Galaxy of Terror, Body Double, Black Death, Company of Wolves, Deep Rising, The Hidden, Dead Heat, and The Guardian.  Among others.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Some other slightly lesser-known titles I really enjoy:

Dolls, Brain Damage, Street Trash, Society, Deadbeat by Dawn, Bad Moon, The Entity, Ghost Story, Session 9, Neon Maniacs, The Unseen, Death Ship, Hardware, Bloody Birthday, Waxwork, Blood Diner, Humanoids from the Deep, Galaxy of Terror, Body Double, Black Death, Company of Wolves, Deep Rising, The Hidden, Dead Heat, and The Guardian.  Among others.

Seconded on those (except for one or two I haven't seen).

There were 4 different releases of Hardware on laserdisc with different covers.  1 US, 1 Hong Kong and 2 Japanese.  

Dust Devil and Gunhed are two more of my faves:

Here is a book you will probably like if you are not familiar with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Brilliance-incredible-Hollywoods-Greatest-Maverick/dp/B000JD3GKO/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=brilliance+on+a+budget&qid=1629821388&s=books&sr=1-1

If should be pretty easy to find a used hardback -  it was pretty common.

Edited by Tabonga

It's funny because I don't really care for the genre, but I enjoy the lore of the movies.  I don't tend to watch horror movies because I don't really want to sit through the entire movie, but I enjoy watching reviews or summaries of the movies.  So I really enjoy watching things like Monster Madness on Cinemassacre's channel or The Kill Count on Dead Meat's channel.  

• Like 1

Here are a few more obscurities I have on laserdisc:

This is from a Hong Kong laserdisc - it also is probably the oddest titled movie I have:

This is a French Canadian film I have on a Singapore laserdisc (I have several thousand lasers and this is the only one from Singapore I have.)

Just a rare US release:

Another obscure US laserdisc:

15 hours ago, Shmup said:

I couldn't find any threads that discussed horror movies so I've decided to create one. I'm pretty sure there's a few horror movie fans here. Discuss what you're watching, let us know some of your favourites or even show off your horror movie/collectibles collection!

I'll start by recommending two fantastic B grade movies I watched recently.

The first is Pieces.

I don't really have words that accurately describe this movie but it is absolutely so bad it is fantastic. The premise is that a teenage boy is playing with a nudie puzzle and his mum tells him off so he kills her (as you do). The movie skips to 40 years later and college co-eds are being killed for their body parts. Watch out for a hilarious kung fu scene that makes no sense with Bruce Le (Bruce Lee impersonator).

Second movie is Chopping Mall. This is actually a really good B movie and overall pretty well acted for a horror movie. The movie is non stop and is really well shot. The soundtrack is amazing and has probably one of the best head explosion scenes. The story is essentially about a group of teenagers in a shopping mall that have to fight security robots:

Yeah - Pieces pretty much blew chunks!!!

Chopping Mall was called Robots during production - the name was changed to Killbots on release and it did poorly.  The name was then changed to Chopping Mall and it did better with its intended audience.

--------------------

This was pretty fun - it had 2 sequels but I haven't seen either of them.

This isn't terribly obscure -  but it is a great black comedy horror film:

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I’ve always avoided watching horror movies. Never understood why anyone would intentionally sit through 90 minutes of something that induces feelings of fear and anxiety. With effects that last for up to 24 hours after the movie is over.

Because we're psychopaths! haha.

I've become pretty desensitised to most horror movies these days (although Martyrs was pretty messed up). Also, some horror movies actually have culture, religious and society messages woven into the stories so it's not just about the fear and anxiety.

I could say similar things about most action movies, who would want to sit through a movie all about cars racing around streets, shoot outs with stuff blowing up? Sounds boring to me haha.

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, phart010 said:

I’ve always avoided watching horror movies. Never understood why anyone would intentionally sit through 90 minutes of something that induces feelings of fear and anxiety. With effects that last for up to 24 hours after the movie is over.

It's fun to be scared. 

• Like 1