IGNORED

The Horror movie thread

Brickman

I still remember at some time in 1995/6 seeing Halloween 3 was gonna be on TV.  I could never find it, or at least what I saw as Halloween 3 "Season of the witch" must have been some different movie.  The elusive Halloween 3!  I was so excited.  I think it was on TNN or something at 1 or 2 am.  Didn't take me long to get super confused where's Michael? Ahh the good old days.

Editorials Team · Posted

Did some reorg.  This is 95% of my horror movies and about 75% of my total movies

Criterions, rando thrillers and action and scifi, then oversized, Grind house, Arrow, Vestron, Scream Factory, Twilight Time, Kino, Olive, Synapse, Code Red, Scorpion, then Full Moon, Blue Underground, and all of my misc horror

PXL_20211018_020127042.jpg

PXL_20211018_020143357.jpg

PXL_20211018_020153949.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Did some reorg.  This is 95% of my horror movies and about 75% of my total movies

Criterions, rando thrillers and action and scifi, then oversized, Grind house, Arrow, Vestron, Scream Factory, Twilight Time, Kino, Olive, Synapse, Code Red, Scorpion, then Full Moon, Blue Underground, and all of my misc horror

Absolutely amazing. Definitely a collection I am working towards but nowhere near. What was your address again? haha.

I always thought I was a big horror fan until I realized how many movies were out there that I haven't seen. I've seen all the big ones like Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Scream, and I love those among many others. But there are a lot of lesser known and talked about ones I haven't seen or even heard of. I think for me also it's hard to go too far back until the genre because most of the movies are very very cheesy. I'd say only in the last 20 years has the genre as a whole gotten a lot more respectable and gritty. That said I'm still waiting for a horror movie to actually scare me. The Exorcist scared me as a kid but that was basically the only time I remember being scared by a movie. But we're also talking about a movie which is quite possibly the pinnacle of the genre. 

That said my cookie cutter list of favorite movies:

Child's Play - My absolute favorite, Chucky is my favorite, and I love all the movies (except Seed of Chucky which is garbage) but the original is still the best.

Scream - Not scary in the slightest but I loved the mystery of the movies the first time I saw each one. I love all of them including the short lived tv series, but the original is still the best.

Halloween - As a series probably the best overall horror series, even though a lot of people so point out how weak some of the later ones are. And I don't disagree. But there's just something about Michael Myers that makes him one of the best slasher villains. As with most horror series, the original is the best, but I enjoyed all of them with 4 and 5 probably my least favorites. I saw Halloween Kills last weekend and I won't spoil it but I will say I liked it but not as much as the 2018 Halloween.

Gremlins - I debated about even putting this here because it's more of a comedy - well I guess the first one tried to be scary. But regardless I absolutely love these movies. I might actually like the second one more only because it's freaking hilarious and I never found the first one scary anyway. But they're both amazing, two of my favorite movies of all time.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - God I love these movies. When I first saw them I thought they actually happened. I know they were inspired by a real serial killer but the events that actually happened are quite different. But regardless the first remake of TCM from 2002 or so was the first horror movie I saw in the theater and the movie that made me love the genre. So the remake is my favorite, but I love them all. Leatherface is a fantastic and iconic horror villain.

Friday the 13th - Unlike most other horror franchises I don't care for the original as much. I think the series got better as it went along. I don't really have a favorite (as long as we're not talking about Jason X) but I enjoy them all.

Saw - Okay so I'm cheating with this one because I've only seen the first three movies. But I absolutely loved them. Don't ask me why I've never seen the rest. I guess because my friends told me they sucked. But I have the collection so I'll watch them eventually. But the first three movies are stellar especially the first one. 

I've gone on long enough. There are a lot on forgetting and I'm sure there are a ton more I need to see.

Administrator · Posted
On 10/17/2021 at 10:03 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Did you get the Shout Factory Halloweens? I got mine in the mail and the boxes for 1-3 are pretty nice looking.

3 hours ago, AstralSoul said:

I always thought I was a big horror fan until I realized how many movies were out there that I haven't seen. I've seen all the big ones like Halloween, Friday the 13th, and Scream, and I love those among many others. But there are a lot of lesser known and talked about ones I haven't seen or even heard of. I think for me also it's hard to go too far back until the genre because most of the movies are very very cheesy. I'd say only in the last 20 years has the genre as a whole gotten a lot more respectable and gritty. That said I'm still waiting for a horror movie to actually scare me. The Exorcist scared me as a kid but that was basically the only time I remember being scared by a movie. But we're also talking about a movie which is quite possibly the pinnacle of the genre. 

That said my cookie cutter list of favorite movies:

Child's Play - My absolute favorite, Chucky is my favorite, and I love all the movies (except Seed of Chucky which is garbage) but the original is still the best.

Scream - Not scary in the slightest but I loved the mystery of the movies the first time I saw each one. I love all of them including the short lived tv series, but the original is still the best.

Halloween - As a series probably the best overall horror series, even though a lot of people so point out how weak some of the later ones are. And I don't disagree. But there's just something about Michael Myers that makes him one of the best slasher villains. As with most horror series, the original is the best, but I enjoyed all of them with 4 and 5 probably my least favorites. I saw Halloween Kills last weekend and I won't spoil it but I will say I liked it but not as much as the 2018 Halloween.

Gremlins - I debated about even putting this here because it's more of a comedy - well I guess the first one tried to be scary. But regardless I absolutely love these movies. I might actually like the second one more only because it's freaking hilarious and I never found the first one scary anyway. But they're both amazing, two of my favorite movies of all time.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - God I love these movies. When I first saw them I thought they actually happened. I know they were inspired by a real serial killer but the events that actually happened are quite different. But regardless the first remake of TCM from 2002 or so was the first horror movie I saw in the theater and the movie that made me love the genre. So the remake is my favorite, but I love them all. Leatherface is a fantastic and iconic horror villain.

Friday the 13th - Unlike most other horror franchises I don't care for the original as much. I think the series got better as it went along. I don't really have a favorite (as long as we're not talking about Jason X) but I enjoy them all.

Saw - Okay so I'm cheating with this one because I've only seen the first three movies. But I absolutely loved them. Don't ask me why I've never seen the rest. I guess because my friends told me they sucked. But I have the collection so I'll watch them eventually. But the first three movies are stellar especially the first one. 

I've gone on long enough. There are a lot on forgetting and I'm sure there are a ton more I need to see.

Well hopefully we can introduce you to heaps of great movies in this thread 🙂 there’s already been some great suggestions.

In regards to B&W horror, I find that people either love it or hate it and find it too cheesy. I personally love it because a lot of them look cheesy but the stories are really good, they have a gothic story vibe. It’s also really interesting to see how they did effects back then.

I think a lot of us horror fans have become desensitised and don’t find too many movies scary. However check out Martyrs (French version) that will mess you up. Also most of David Cronenberg’s stuff still freaks me out and now his son is continuing his legacy, check out Possessor.

Also, it looks like you’re a slasher fan like me. Check out the movie I recommend on the first post, Pieces. You’ll have a great time with that one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shmup said:

Well hopefully we can introduce you to heaps of great movies in this thread 🙂 there’s already been some great suggestions.

In regards to B&W horror, I find that people either love it or hate it and find it too cheesy. I personally love it because a lot of them look cheesy but the stories are really good, they have a gothic story vibe. It’s also really interesting to see how they did effects back then.

I think a lot of us horror fans have become desensitised and don’t find too many movies scary. However check out Martyrs (French version) that will mess you up. Also most of David Cronenberg’s stuff still freaks me out and now his son is continuing his legacy, check out Possessor.

Also, it looks like you’re a slasher fan like me. Check out the movie I recommend on the first post, Pieces. You’ll have a great time with that one.

I don't hate B&W movies per se but I don't know what it is but I generally can't get into them. I love the idea of the effects back then, much more interesting to learn how they did special effects back in the day, and prefer practical effects over CG any day. But yeah I'm looking into the ones mentioned in the thread, I'll check out Pieces. Slasher subgenre is my favorite of course but I failed to mention I love paranormal stuff too like the Exorcist, Conjuring, and Insidious. I know there's so much more but for every one I list I could list 5 more that I liked. But at the same time for every one I've seen there are probably 20 I haven't seen.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NZCollector said:

I'm quite surprised nobody's mentioned Psycho here yet. May be a basic pick, but it's such a timeless film I can't help but watch every year. That and the 30s Universal monster movies, something about those has a weird charm to them. 

Yep love all those too. Bride of Frankenstein is probably my favourite of the Universal Monster movies. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 4:43 PM, NZCollector said:

I'm quite surprised nobody's mentioned Psycho here yet. May be a basic pick, but it's such a timeless film I can't help but watch every year. That and the 30s Universal monster movies, something about those has a weird charm to them. 

If you haven't seen Van Helsing the opening scenes are a great tribute to the old black and white Universal horror flicks.

• Like 2

Guys, if you love the horror genre and keen on getting your pants wet, I’d really recommend going oriental and watch horror movies from Asia. 

- The Ring

- The Eye

- Shutter

Those are some of the classics. The US remakes are nowhere near as unsettling as their Asian counterparts.

An action/horror/thriller I also recommend is Oldboy. A Korean classic that isn’t about the supernatural, but about torment, bruises and revenge.

Edited by GPX

23 minutes ago, G-type said:

My favorite horror film of the past 10 years is probably, It Follows.

spacer.png

I wouldn't rank it in my top tier, but I also really enjoyed it. I liked the sense of dread that pervades the entire movie and knowing that

Spoiler

there will never be an end to this thing. Even if gets passed on 100 times, you'll always need to look over your shoulder until you die. Horror movies are almost about quick, gruesome deaths so this deviation is interesting and fun.

26 minutes ago, GPX said:

. got any other recommendations for this hybrid genre?

Motel Hell is awesome.

The Sleepaway Camp series comes off at first glance as being pretty dumb but that is a mask for some wicked black humor.

Near Dark is great.

Somewhat uneven, the Leprechaun series is worth checking out.

Reanimator might be up your alley.

Street Trash is pretty good.

The first Critters is most excellent - later ones in the series don't have the same punch.

All About Evil is pretty neat - it is hard to track down though.

Somewhat of a guilty pleasure is this little gem:

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Motel Hell is awesome.

The Sleepaway Camp series comes off at first glance as being pretty dumb but that is a mask for some wicked black humor.

Near Dark is great.

Somewhat uneven, the Leprechaun series is worth checking out.

Reanimator might be up your alley.

Street Trash is pretty good.

Thanks! 

I’ve watched the Sleepaway Camp series and did enjoy them. Most of the slasher movies are kind of hybrid comedies if you enjoy the silly kills and silly one-liners.

Though I tend to think the hybrid comedy/horror ones are equal scares with equal LOL moments. Kind of like the movie is trying to give you palpitations while tickling your armpits. 🙂

I watched house of the devil last night, anyone else seen it?

I absolutely loved it. The 80’s homage was so well done (it was even filmed on 16mm!) and I loved the slow suspenseful burn to the end.

I hadn’t heard of the director but he’s done a few other movies that I’ll check out.

I was surprised to read that this movie has polarised views, some love it and others hate it.

7 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I watched house of the devil last night, anyone else seen it?

I absolutely loved it. The 80’s homage was so well done (it was even filmed on 16mm!) and I loved the slow suspenseful burn to the end.

I hadn’t heard of the director but he’s done a few other movies that I’ll check out.

I was surprised to read that this movie has polarised views, some love it and others hate it.

I watched it when it first came out and wasn't particularly impressed. Something about it felt very flat to me (with the exception of one particularly fun and extremely fast kill). I was really into horror movies at the time so I had a good idea of what the genre was doing, BUT I didn't have much of an appreciation for older 80s style films. I suspect I would probably like it a bit more if I rewatched it now.