IGNORED

Ebay liability for international shipping

Domestically shipping is always on the seller. If it doesn’t make it from the seller to the buyer in the same condition the buyer bought it in, it’s on the seller to remedy it. eBay almost always sides with the buyer. As for international I can’t speak on that, I purposely don’t offer it to avoid BS. 

Administrator · Posted
13 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Who is liable if a game gets f'd up by customs if an international buyer wins an auction on Ebay?

Seller unfortunately.

I bought some sealed games internationally where the seller listed them as "CIB" in case customs opened them.

• Thanks 1

Yeah it's on the seller if the game doesn't reach its destination.

But customs? That's all on the buyer. Seller has absolutely no responsibility here, that's completely standard and has always been like that. Has nothing to do with eBay either, unless they are using the Global Shipping Programme

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LaC said:

No matter what people can still take things up with Paypal and totally try to screw you.

I thought I was protected by only allowing the global shipping program.  But buyers can use external shipping centers without you realizing it. 

If the tracking shows that was delivered to the ebay warehouse, ebay will refund the buyer out of their own pocket if the buyer opens a case against you.

4 hours ago, Sumez said:

eBay sellers not allowing international shipping is the most annoying junk ever...

Well if you don’t live in the US and are trying to buy from US eBay then of course it is for you!

2 hours ago, Shmup said:

Agreed. You actually lose more potential sales for a higher price by not offering it. 

I wouldn’t let one bad experience let it ruin selling overseas.

Losing potential sales is definitely a repercussion of this but at a higher price is probably up for debate. With the state of logistics in the COVID world I’d just take out as many factors as possible. Not sure what OP is selling but for low value items I’d keep it to US only. 

14 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Well if you don’t live in the US and are trying to buy from US eBay then of course it is for you!

Losing potential sales is definitely a repercussion of this but at a higher price is probably up for debate. With the state of logistics in the COVID world I’d just take out as many factors as possible. Not sure what OP is selling but for low value items I’d keep it to US only. 

Yeah very true about low value items, probably not even worth it. I normally don’t bother selling outside my own country for things $100 under.

From about $150-200 I definitely notice more competition in auctions or BIN and a lot of times they go to Canadians or European countries with an even split then slightly lower percentage to US. 

That’s just my experience though (sending from Australia) so could be different in the US.

Also for those who use the GSP on eBay, I can’t speak for all but a lot of international buyers avoid sellers who use it because it adds like $15 extra to the shipping cost. 

Ebay if you just click to block international actually doesn't, unless they fixed it some years back.  I had a close call with a scum bag, but it would have been an utter loss with mail, etc bs.  After that I banned international on there as it was too high risk, but then to find months later someone crept in.  I had to manually go into the sellers pages, find a list of all the continents/countries and individually ban everything which was extreme and stunk, but it has held since.

I don't care if there's a sliver of a chance of making more, the screw the seller mechanic ebay has with easy lies making easy returns with me eating shipping, you tack on two ways of international charges if not customs duties too on top and it's basically paying someone to screw you.  Sorry if that makes someone outside of the US pissed, but experience and research shows risks outweigh rewards.  Not that I won't do it on here or a private forum, but a site with an evil overlord that gets a digital hard on over only appeasing the buyer is just not worth it.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:16 PM, LaC said:

No matter what people can still take things up with Paypal and totally try to screw you.

I thought I was protected by only allowing the global shipping program.  But buyers can use external shipping centers without you realizing it. 

I thought ebay switched to Managed Payments or did that not happen to everyone yet??

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Ebay if you just click to block international actually doesn't, unless they fixed it some years back.  I had a close call with a scum bag, but it would have been an utter loss with mail, etc bs.  After that I banned international on there as it was too high risk, but then to find months later someone crept in.  I had to manually go into the sellers pages, find a list of all the continents/countries and individually ban everything which was extreme and stunk, but it has held since.

I don't care if there's a sliver of a chance of making more, the screw the seller mechanic ebay has with easy lies making easy returns with me eating shipping, you tack on two ways of international charges if not customs duties too on top and it's basically paying someone to screw you.  Sorry if that makes someone outside of the US pissed, but experience and research shows risks outweigh rewards.  Not that I won't do it on here or a private forum, but a site with an evil overlord that gets a digital hard on over only appeasing the buyer is just not worth it.

This option should work.

image.png.8c88408768f6a1f1df57f50ed43d5f7e.png

Just to give a perspective on this as a buyer in Canada, I can confirm eBay takes the hit on GSP issues once it reaches eBay's shipping centre because this happened to me. A game I bought that used GSP got lost in shipping between eBay's centre and me (Canada Post lost it), eBay refunded me directly without involving the seller, seller wasn't pulled in at all (I verified this with the seller later).

Also, personally, I prefer sellers who use GSP, because it's less hassle for the seller and for me (see above). It also lets me pre-pay customs via eBay without any "processing fee", whereas if a seller mails a game internationally to me themselves, the courier company usually decides to charge me the customs fee plus a $10+ "processing fee" for doing so. I hate that crap. So I actually like it any time I see a GSP listing.

Some people have said they've had issues with items getting damaged in GSP shipping, but I haven't. All the things I've bought via GSP have arrived still as packaged by the sender, sometimes they come via Canada Post and sometimes they come via private carrier but I haven't had any damaged.

• Thanks 1