Jak & Daxter vs Ratchet & Clank vs Sly Cooper

AstralSoul

Favorite series?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite PS2 era platformers?

• Jak & Daxter
    • Ratchet & Clank
    • Sly Cooper

Back in the early 2000s I remember getting a PS2 and wondering what the next big 3D platformer would be. Especially since GameCube didn't launch with one and really only had Mario Sunshine at this point. I went to GameStop and saw 3 games: Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Ratchet & Clank, and Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus. I couldn't decide which one to buy. I had heard good things about all 3 and had played a demo of Sly Cooper at Best Buy before this. So I bought all three. I couldnt stop playing Sly Cooper and finished it before I even touched the other two. I couldn't really get into Jak & Daxter at first but I loved Ratchet & Clank too. 

Years go by and I continually think about this pivotal moment in my gaming repertoire. These days I am mostly a bigger Ratchet & Clank fan but it could be in large part due to its the only one of those still running. But even taking the first 3 games only into account I think R&C still was the best and most consistent. I ended up loving the first Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper but the sequels in my opinion did not live up to the originals unlike R&C.

Anyway just a little anecdote to lead into my question... What was/is your favorite of the three PS2 era 3D platformers? Preferably judge just based on the original trilogies but vote however you want. Ratchet and Clank gets my vote all the way.

Administrator · Posted

I enjoyed all of these, but my hands-down favorite has to be Ratchet and Clank!  They just got the formula very right with that series, and I enjoyed the characters in R&C much better (especially Clank!).  The later entries in the series are also tons of fun and great games!

• Like 1

I mostly stepped away from gaming in the PS2/Xbox/GC era, so I haven't played any of those series. I always thought Jak and Daxter looked particularly cool and I'm pretty sure I own the remaster trilogy. I'll probably play the new Ratchet for PS5 when it hits $30 or less, so that should be a fun introduction to the series. I doubt I'll ever play Sly, but never say never.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Man that's a tough choice. I probably have to go with Ratchet and Clank. Up Your Arsenal is one of the finest games I have ever played regardless of console from start to finish. It is probably in my all time top 10 somewhere.  I do also enjoy the open world of Jak 2 and 3, but the villains and side characters are much less fun than pretty much anything R&C has to offer. Jak and Daxter is an excellent collect-a-thon platformer, straight up. But almost on the strength of UYA alone, my vote goes to Ratchet.

I don't particularly enjoy Sly Cooper. Never have been a fan of stealth games or missions.

• Like 1

Tough choice between Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper.  I really enjoyed the first Ratchet & Clank.  The second one wasn't bad, but I think I liked the original better.  Up Your Arsenal, the third one, is my favorite.  It was the first online game that I really got into.  There's a good chance I spent more time playing it than any other PS2 game.

I really enjoyed the first Sly Cooper too.  Sly 2 is one of my favorite PS2 games.  I think I liked it more than any of the single player campaigns in R&C.  I really didn't care for Sly 3 though.  It almost felt like a mini game collection with platforming segments in-between.  Maybe I would have liked it better if I didn't go into it when I felt like playing a platformer.

I probably enjoyed R&C better back in the day, but I think if I went back to them now, I'd have more fun with the Sly games.  I'll just say my favorite is not Jak & Daxter.  

Edited by Red
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...