IGNORED

My NES Collection - Hello from Virginia!

theinhumanwretch

Hi All - having finally joined VGS after NintendoAge's end I wanted to post some pics of my NES collection. 

I've about 375 licensed/unlicensed NES games, prototypes, and CIB peripherals (also added a few arcades to the game room):

CIB Wisdom Tree set (just missing Sunday Funday)

CIB Color Dreams

Protoypes and a few other oddities. For prototypes, I have Frankenstein, Wally Bear & No Gang, Chessmaster, Moon Ranger, and Hunt for Red October. All are development and have significant differences from final.

Frankenstein: A+B on 2nd controller allows you to advance through the levels
Wally Bear: early version where you play through the entire game without enemies present. You can also enter houses, showing the developer was at least at one point considering an expanded game.
Hunt for Red October: very early version where you go through one underwater level and face 3 giant octopuses at the end. The enemy ships appear as swastikas (at least I think they are) on the radar. My guess is this is a WW2 combat reference.

Uforce Test Cartridge: this came from Alan Weiss, who was involved with the UForce development (and also produced 'Deadly Towers'). He said they used these at the factory in China where the UForces were built as a way to test the systems. It's really interesting to see how everything reacts when you use the different parts of the UForce. I'll post a video sometime in the future.  

Any questions/feedback welcome! Looking forward to being a part of VGS    

nesCarts.jpg

aracdes.jpg

wisdom.jpg

colordreams.jpg

prototypes.jpg

roproto1.jpg

roproto2.jpg

uforceboard.PNG

uforceTV.PNG

• Like 11
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

Wow! That's quite the amazing collection! I try to beat every game I buy, so I'd have my work cut out for me if I were in your shoes. 😄

You probably already have them, but make sure to pick up Castlevania III, and Super C. Konami put out some of the best 8bit games ever made between the NES and Game Boy, and you don't get much better than C-vania 3 and Super C. 🙂

Do you plan to keep building, or is this the finalized dream set of yours?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AmandaCathedral said:

Wow! That's quite the amazing collection! I try to beat every game I buy, so I'd have my work cut out for me if I were in your shoes. 😄

You probably already have them, but make sure to pick up Castlevania III, and Super C. Konami put out some of the best 8bit games ever made between the NES and Game Boy, and you don't get much better than C-vania 3 and Super C. 🙂

Do you plan to keep building, or is this the finalized dream set of yours?

Thanks! yeah definitely plan to keep building. I'd like the full licensed and unlicensed NES collection eventually.  Fortunately I have both C3 and Super C - agree they are awesome and just recently did a play-though of C3 with my 9 y/o son. After 35 years of playing it, I finally beat the original Castlevania recently, and my son is actually able to beat it in about 15minutes. 

I try to at least play all the games I've bought, but time doesn't often allow. Beating them all does sound great -- retirement goals 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 9:49 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Your Hunt for Red October proto is awesome!  If you ever make a video of the gameplay from start to finish, please post a link to it on this site.  I'm the world's only fan of the released NES version, and I'd love to see "what could have been..."

Thanks! Good idea - I’ll record and post something soon. It’ll be interesting to hear about what you recognize from the final game. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 1:53 AM, theinhumanwretch said:

Uforce Test Cartridge: this came from Alan Weiss, who was involved with the UForce development (and also produced 'Deadly Towers'). He said they used these at the factory in China where the UForces were built as a way to test the systems. It's really interesting to see how everything reacts when you use the different parts of the UForce. I'll post a video sometime in the future.  

Very nice stuff and interesting information!!!

I guess you wouldn't by chance know whether the manufacturing took place in mainland China, or if it had taken place in "Taiwan" or "Hong Kong" ? The reason I'm curious about this is because at that point in time, most of the manufacturing seems to have been done in Taiwan, and to a lesser extent, Hong Kong, and only later was everything switched over to the mainland.

On a different note, I started looking at the U-Force boxes, and some of them are labelled "Made in China" (a bit ambiguous), others are listed as "Made in Thailand"*, and others had no place of origin on the box.

*Thailand was not a very large manufacturing centre for gaming stuff back in the day.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:52 AM, fcgamer said:

Very nice stuff and interesting information!!!

I guess you wouldn't by chance know whether the manufacturing took place in mainland China, or if it had taken place in "Taiwan" or "Hong Kong" ? The reason I'm curious about this is because at that point in time, most of the manufacturing seems to have been done in Taiwan, and to a lesser extent, Hong Kong, and only later was everything switched over to the mainland.

On a different note, I started looking at the U-Force boxes, and some of them are labelled "Made in China" (a bit ambiguous), others are listed as "Made in Thailand"*, and others had no place of origin on the box.

*Thailand was not a very large manufacturing centre for gaming stuff back in the day.

He said China, but I don't have many details beyond that. To your point, I'd be interested to know specifically where. 

• Like 1