IGNORED

CCG - Hiring Video Game Experts to Launch New Grading Service

Good. Lets hope this shakes up the market. 

Do they have pop reports for all their other coins, comics, etc?

If they did that, they might be able to give wata a run for their money. 

If CGC puts out a quality product in a reasonable amount of time, I could see them wiping out VGA completely because of their poor case design. 

38 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Good. Lets hope this shakes up the market. 

Do they have pop reports for all their other coins, comics, etc?

If they did that, they might be able to give wata a run for their money. 

If CGC puts out a quality product in a reasonable amount of time, I could see them wiping out VGA completely because of their poor case design. 

I know for comic books they do have a census on comics graded.  Not sure about coins, but I'm guessing there is one since they are all under one umbrella in CCG. I kinda had a hunch they would be involved in video grading too since they just brought card grading into their business model.

They've been trying to recruit talent and reaching out to people for a bit now. Maybe they finally found someone to help them kick things off. If competition produces better products and prices then let's see what the future brings.

I will say that as a very casual card collector, I had no idea they even graded sports cards. It's PSA or BGS or bust there. Wonder if they can carve out a niche here...

Edited by jonebone

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

I will say that as a very casual card collector, I had no idea they even graded sports cards. It's PSA or BGS or bust there. 

psa and bgs turn around times are insane and its making a spot or two for the other grading companies. i believe cgc is well respected in the comic scene. imo csg 9.5-10 sport cards are starting to gain value.

2 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

If it's anything like pokemon cards, their games won't command much of a premium over raw and they'll grade super harsh. At least they're legit though.

Sadly this is true. I’ve only ever seen cgc 10 pristinely command value. Anything below 10 is pretty cheap. Which for casual collectors is great! Not so much for people trying to make investments though. 

Having been in the comic book collecting hobby for over 20 years and 10 years in sports cards, I can say without a doubt that CGC is the leader in comic book grading over CBCS, PGX (very shady grading company, if it is even a company at that!), and some other smaller grading company I forgot the name of. I don't think that will ever change.  Would be interesting to see with the new owners of CCG (Blackstone) will do with this business.

As for cards/TCG PSA is definitely the leader, but not perfect.  I submitted a TCG Pokemon card to them for grading under a minimum grade and when I received the card back because it didn't receive the desired min. grade I placed, I found out that the holofoil part has some scratches partly because they didn't put my card in a penny sleeve, just in a rigged card saver.  Could also be mishandled when the graded removed it from the penny sleeve and card saver which I originally shipped my card in.  

I do prefer the BGS slab because it's thicker and I feel the card has more protection than the thinner PSA slabs.  Also, I like the subgrades on the label which PSA doesn't have.  

Now, let's see how this new grading company will design their holder for their video games.  Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caliboy24 said:

they didn't put my card in a penny sleeve, just in a rigged card saver

PSA does this for most cards if they find evidence of tampering or doesn't reach the min grade. Super annoying. I don't know that other graders do that.

4 hours ago, inasuma said:

PSA does this for most cards if they find evidence of tampering or doesn't reach the min grade. Super annoying. I don't know that other graders do that.

Ya it's a pain in the you know what. I've called them several times and spoke to someone who oversees the grading there. I was hoping for a PSA 9, but it graded out an 8.5 which is ok.. A PSA 9 is probably worth a few more thousands thou.  

After all the few phone calls and emails back and forth, they managed to arrangement a settlement with me even though they didn't find any evidence that one of their graders scratched my card (I provided pictures of the foil before it was shipped out).  All is good now but I will never ever again do a min grade. I've heard a few people who have experienced what we went through and PSA for some reason does not acknowledge it. I even sent them a couple of public forum chat threads where people complained about it too. I really hope they start putting some cameras where the graders do their grading and removing each card from the savers.

On 7/8/2021 at 8:15 PM, jonebone said:

They've been trying to recruit talent and reaching out to people for a bit now. Maybe they finally found someone to help them kick things off. If competition produces better products and prices then let's see what the future brings.

I will say that as a very casual card collector, I had no idea they even graded sports cards. It's PSA or BGS or bust there. Wonder if they can carve out a niche here...

Do you know if they have just been trying to recruit graders or if they have also consulted with experts (well established collectors) to get information on grading and identifying fakes?