• Lady Gaga - "Shallow"
  3. 3. Choose one

• Smashing Pumpkins - "1979"
    • Weezer - "Say It Ain't So"
  4. 4. Choose one

• Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Can't Stop"
    • Ozzy Osbourne - "No More Tears"

This poll is closed to new votes

2121, but some of these were tough.  Smashing Pumpkins has been my favorite 90s band for ages, but this was/is my least favorite song of theirs.  Weezer is practically overplayed, but it doesn't change the fact that I enjoyed their music as a kid, and whether overplayed or not, I can still enjoy songs like this one for a bit of high school and college nostalgia.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

1112.  BCD is right.  Easy one. The real question is: 1979 v tonight tonight

I was very close to doing Tonight, Tonight and Buddy Holly.  And Under the Bridge.  And Bad Romance.  Really I had lots of options this time.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

The first one was toughest as that Duran Duran song felt like such a departure from their earlier work when it was released. As much nostalgia as I have attached to 1979, I have even more attached to Say it Ain’t So and it’s a much more fun song, and one of the first songs I learned on guitar. 

19 minutes ago, doner24 said:

The first one was toughest as that Duran Duran song felt like such a departure from their earlier work when it was released. As much nostalgia as I have attached to 1979, I have even more attached to Say it Ain’t So and it’s a much more fun song, and one of the first songs I learned on guitar. 

I almost mentioned that Say It Ain't So is one of the first songs college guys learn to play on their electric because it's easy and fun to play, plus it was good to impress the ladies.

29 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I was very close to doing Tonight, Tonight and Buddy Holly.  And Under the Bridge.  And Bad Romance.  Really I had lots of options this time.

Tonight, Tonight is epic.  Also this hangs over the side wall by my desk.  I found it at an antique shop (lol...) for $20.

PXL_20210615_153331047.jpg.86d8088c9e76040b3ff4bb2493d02e57.jpg

• Like 2

I could never get into Weezer no matter how much I listened to their music.  I was even in college when they were huge, so I'm basically their main target audience.  But for whatever reason, I just don't care for their music.  

To this day, I still remember my two roommates debating Weezer at 2:00 in the morning after a night of drinking.  One of them loved Weezer, and the other hated them.  I swear they went back and forth for a good hour.  While I don't care for their music, I didn't feel strongly enough about it to step into the argument, so I jus sat back and ate popcorn.

Moderator · Posted
5 minutes ago, RH said:

I almost mentioned that Say It Ain't So is one of the first songs college guys learn to play on their electric because it's easy and fun to play, plus it was good to impress the ladies.

Yep and Wonderwall on acoustic 😂 I’m guilty of both. 

35 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Tonight, Tonight is up there amongst my favorite songs of all time.  

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Tonight, Tonight is epic.  Also this hangs over the side wall by my desk.  I found it at an antique shop (lol...) for $20.

@RH, that sign is awesome.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, doner24 said:

Yep and Wonderwall on acoustic 😂 I’m guilty of both. 

There were two "guitar guys" in college.  Those with acoustics, playing on the quad doing there best DMB impersonation, and those with electric guitars who learned Weezer, Radiohead (if you were good) and maybe something like R.E.M. for some local cred (this was North East Georgia).

Moderator · Posted
Just now, TDIRunner said:

Great song, and great video with the homage to Méliès’ A Trip to the Moon. Fun fact, the main character in the video is the voice of Spongebob. 

Just now, doner24 said:

Great song, and great video with the homage to Méliès’ A Trip to the Moon. Fun fact, the main character in the video is the voice of Spongebob. 

While I consider the song to be one of my favorites of all time, I think I can say for sure that the music video is definitely my favorite music video of all time.  

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yeah, I flipped out when I found it.  I've not done a ton of searching (for all I know one could be on eBay right now) but the few times I've checked, I've never found this sign.  I do recall, however, finding other examples where apparently Virgin made various, pseudo-antique advertisements for the album.  The back has brown paper glued to the frame, so someone didn't take the graphic and put it in the frame.  I think it sat in someone's storage for a while because between the glass and the art there's some dust and stuff. This is a rare case where I actually like the "damage" because it makes it look even more legit old, which 100% matches the style of the record.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Bad Romance would have made for a tougher decision. I enjoy most of the songs from A Star is Born, which was an excellent movie although I didn't let that sway my vote.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I could never get into Weezer no matter how much I listened to their music.  I was even in college when they were huge, so I'm basically their main target audience.  But for whatever reason, I just don't care for their music.  

To this day, I still remember my two roommates debating Weezer at 2:00 in the morning after a night of drinking.  One of them loved Weezer, and the other hated them.  I swear they went back and forth for a good hour.  While I don't care for their music, I didn't feel strongly enough about it to step into the argument, so I jus sat back and ate popcorn.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, RH said:

There were two "guitar guys" in college.  Those with acoustics, playing on the quad doing there best DMB impersonation, and those with electric guitars who learned Weezer, Radiohead (if you were good) and maybe something like R.E.M. for some local cred (this was North East Georgia).

When I was in college the Black Keys were a local band (they weren’t students) playing in shitty Kent bars.