IGNORED

Super Rare Games - Physical Only Switch Exclusives

Super Rare announced today they will be releasing some hyper-exclusive games.

They will be indie games that are exclusive to the Switch platform (no Steam, PS4, etc).   Not only will they be exclusive to the Switch, but they will be Physical-ONLY releases.. They will not be on the eshop.

They will be taking measures to ensure supply is met for everyone that wants a copy, but there seems to be an emphasis on making these games exclusive.

Thoughts?

Yeah saw that, it’s an interesting move and even a little risky on their part because they buy the minimum print run in advance so it’s ready to ship straight away.

Switch collectors are mental though (check out reddit with all the posts of games that will never be opened) so it will probably be a huge hit.

I do hope it works for them though because I do like them more than LRG but LRG always has the better stuff. 

Seems pretty cynical, honestly. The only reason not to also publish them digitally is to try and artificially induce fomo and/or appeal to flippers. Especially doesn't jive with their past claims to be all about preservation and generally all around Good People. Their twitter justification for this felt pretty damn weak.

It's certainly an interesting strategy, but as mentioned previously, I cannot imagine these are going to be gang-buster games. I cannot imagine any developer wanting to limit the game in such a way unless they knew that otherwise it would be overlooked in the eShop. I don't collect the Switch, so I have no skin in the game, but it will certainly be interesting to watch as an outsider. 

This is amusing because some of these will likely have more copies that exist than people who have ever played the game. How many games can say that? Can any?  No "player" market, no used market, no digital market, not some collectible rerelease. These are games no one has ever played going straight to shelves.

If your game can't cut it for $5 in digital stores and has to be sold in a limited time window one-time before anyone can review it, I can't imagine you have a lot of faith in your game's performance. So who's gonna open them?

Edited by DefaultGen

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

There's certainly no inserts to document, don't worry.

You’ll never know until you try!

... also there’s gotta be SOME kind of harvest. A code stamped into the plastic? Serial number on the back of the cartridge? An alternate side cover art? Maybe there are some data points on the chip inside the cartridge?

So much data!

This is probably going to work out better for the game developer. How many games go onto the eshop and are immediately lost in the shuffle. I’d be surprised if most of the no name games sold into the hundreds let alone thousands. Especially with the poor interface for sorting through games on the eshop to find something. To go from that, to the developer being guaranteed at least the, what is it 5,000 min print?, in sales would be a major upside for them. 

It will probably be mediocre games at best, but that’s obviously not the concern of the people making rhis happen

Anyone looking at the physical exclusive Demon Throttle on the Switch at Special Resrerve?

I've been in line for a while, but am thinking about not purchasing. The game is a physical exclusive and I haven't heard them mention a limited print run. The game looks alright so I think they will keep doing reprints.

Edit: nm - one month open pre-order.

Edited by Californication

1 hour ago, Californication said:

Anyone looking at the physical exclusive Demon Throttle on the Switch at Special Resrerve?

I've been in line for a while, but am thinking about not purchasing. The game is a physical exclusive and I haven't heard them mention a limited print run. The game looks alright so I think they will keep doing reprints.

Edit: nm - one month open pre-order.

Form their website. Woof that's a long open pre-order

SRG EXCLUSIVE — ONLY PHYSICAL, NEVER DIGITAL

OPEN PREORDER JUNE 12 – OCTOBER 13

This is a new level of ridiculous, but I'm not surprised. This is the logical evolution of the artificial scarcity business model that LRG pioneered. I've always been a vocal critic of LRG shenanigans, but it looks like SRG may be the heir to the throne. It's a money making scheme that preys on the passion of gamers and the FOMO of collectors. It's also a fantastic way to monetize games that would never sell otherwise.

Needless to say, I will not be buying.

• Like 1