IGNORED

i might have a problem

Nes Freak

a virtual boy hording problem lol.  not really.  i get so many virtual boys in for repair i rarely have time to just fix my own consoles to resale lol.   the ones that are in pieces are consoles that have been prepped for repair for customers that have sent in via reddit or virtual boy planet and are in line for the solder repair. on a busy week i can get up to 4 consoles a week.

i just got in a new load for myself to repair and resale later and or use for parts and thought id show how many consoles i have atm.

btw if you all need to have your VB solder fixed you know how to call!   not ghostbusters...  😛

20210527_024605.jpg.86a8353e1f1a11d6a8620e0922448b65.jpg

Edited by Nes Freak
  • Like 5
  • Wow! 2

I recently taught myself how to solder fix these and did 5 of them so far. They all turned out well with no screw ups lol.

The repair is very stressful though and I can't imagine doing more than 2 per month so it's awesome that you're getting through these so quickly.

2 hours ago, bowser said:

I recently taught myself how to solder fix these and did 5 of them so far. They all turned out well with no screw ups lol.

The repair is very stressful though and I can't imagine doing more than 2 per month so it's awesome that you're getting through these so quickly.

its a pain to do but ive come up with way to speed things up  a full repair take me an hour per unit give or take.

• Wow! 2

Out off all of my stuff, the Vboy is what most people want to play, mainly because not many people outside hardcore nerds have tried it outside of a blockbuster demo. I wonder what the last two games i need for the “full set” are going for nowadays. 

Waterworld, and i think the bowling one. 

38 minutes ago, Nes Freak said:

its a pain to do but ive come up with way to speed things up  a full repair take me an hour per unit give or take.

That's cool. It takes me about 2 hours for the fix including disassembly, testing and reassembly. The ribbon cables are really annoying because even if the soldering is perfect sometimes you have to re-seat them a couple of times on the motherboard to get a stable connection.

This was my very first attempt at this fix:

JZrAhPL.jpg

I started soldering too high up and used too much IPA to clean off the residue, ended up rubbing off part of the code from the board. Maybe it's not a big deal but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist lol.

And this was my latest one:

5wzN4er.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my work now after some practise 🙂 

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread 😛 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Out off all of my stuff, the Vboy is what most people want to play, mainly because not many people outside hardcore nerds have tried it outside of a blockbuster demo. I wonder what the last two games i need for the “full set” are going for nowadays. 

Waterworld, and i think the bowling one. 

its a popular console for being a flop tbh.  water world is the second most expensive us released game  so now its  probably 200 to 300 now...  nesters funky bowling iis  not too bad yet.

8 minutes ago, bowser said:

That's cool. It takes me about 2 hours for the fix including disassembly, testing and reassembly. The ribbon cables are really annoying because even if the soldering is perfect sometimes you have to re-seat them a couple of times on the motherboard to get a stable connection.

This was my very first attempt at this fix:

JZrAhPL.jpg

I started soldering too high up and used too much IPA to clean off the residue, ended up rubbing off part of the code from the board. Maybe it's not a big deal but I'm somewhat of a perfectionist lol.

And this was my latest one:

5wzN4er.jpg

I'm pretty happy with my work now after some practise 🙂 

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread 😛 

not bad  my first attempt was  worse looking lol.  and your good 😛

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bowser said:

your welcome.  btw you can see my current work here 😛

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112621152847?hash=item1a38be6a4f:g:drMAAOSwAy5aty9a

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Nes Freak said:

your welcome.  btw you can see my current work here 😛

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112621152847?hash=item1a38be6a4f:g:drMAAOSwAy5aty9a

Wow that is beautiful 😍

I've seen this eBay listing in the past and was impressed with the professional quality of the work. It's nice to meet the person behind it 🙂

I only have access to a basic temperature controlled soldering station and a children's magnifying glass to check my work after soldering lol. I probably can't do better than this with my current equipment.

Keep up the great work!

Edited by bowser
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bowser said:

I'd agree with this as I've done a few and it's draining trying not to ruin the ribbon cable.  I figured out how to do them 2 years ago, and back then the prices hadn't skyrocketed to epic stupid levels yet.  The last 2 I got I was lied to and some oaf ruined 3 of 4 ribbon cables entirely, I'm talking curled crusty burnt bacon strip looking stuff where the copper wires spread all over in that mess.

One I got rid of fairly recently, and I have one more in my closet with one solder fixed side, the other is jacked up, but it does work.  If someone wants it I'd make a lovely trade or reasonable sale under ebay value, then you can have him or someone else just fix the other eye up and you're good to go.

A friend of mine on facebook if he still does them wanted like $10/eye to repair them in 2019, you just paid the shipping both ways.  I'm done bothering, not worth it and I can't source them for a respectable price anymore as I'm not a business.

You could buy a 'junk' one for like $30-50 online, then run the solder fix and sell the headpiece alone for $150 comfortably solder fixed before the dumb virus in 2019.  At that rate a stand was $30-40 (new or repop), the clip/visor was just below that range, and a controller was $25-30.  Battery box was like $15-20, people paid like $50-60 for the combo ac/adapter clip on tap for that since it sucks up AAs pretty bad like a game gear would.

If he's getting $450 for them now, they've nearly doubled in value in around 18mo.

It makes me glad I nailed that entire set down in 2019 by August, and I've even kept (short of stand an entire second solder fixed system lying around in case the first one croaks for parts.