IGNORED

Not sure about authenticity on Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!! (MTPO) on ebay

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• The title was changed to Not sure about authenticity on Mike Tyson’s Punch Out!! (MTPO) on ebay

I agree that label looks bad. He sold another 5 screw Tyson in February for a little over 1k open auction. Positive feedback for the sale. I believe this guy is intentionally faking damage on reproduction  labels and replacing with a five screw shell. 

4312E5D1-3590-48D9-AC6F-F9DD5DAF61C0.png

Edited by Funky_brewsta

The damage on the label looks completely wrong.  The way the corners are cut is wrong.  Even the code on the bottom is wrong imo.  The board is legit, but in extremely poor shape.  My guess is what @Funky_brewstasaid, it's a legit board that received a case swap into a 5-screw case with a fake label. 

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

When they stopped using 5 screw shells in 1987 and the dates on the board are from mid March 1988, is there really any question about it? It's a board swap and fake label.

Then explain the Konami/Ultra 5 screw variants...

That said, this one is 100% not the real deal.

I'd generally agree about a board swap, maybe a fake label if someone just didn't find a good method to cleanly transplant.  But to be fair, NOS shows up all the time, not just in the internet era, and if a company found an old box of like thousands of one style clamshell vs another it's possible.  They're not going to go -- Eh?  Wow, founds these in back, they're old, toss that crap out!  Nope, they'll use it as it would be throwing away money otherwise.  That's how you can get a few weird variants.  Just because maybe only a handful of some Konami/Ultra(using wiz post there above) 5 screw carts show up doesn't mean back in the moment they arrived there wasn't a 1000 more from a batch. We're looking on 30+ years later, stuff gets thrown out and lost -- a lot.

8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Then explain the Konami/Ultra 5 screw variants...

No one can.  This is a completely unique thing thats only seen by Konami/Ultra.  The consensus is they're some sort of in house test print or something.  They don't even have back labels!  I don't consider them 'official' because I can't see them being officially released without that back label warning.