IGNORED

April 2021 Read : The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

SailorScoutMandy

Woo. The first book had been chosen. 

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. 

This will be discussion thread for the book. However I did ask before you write something please label your post with like the chapter or page number your on so that way if someone isn't that far yet they can easily avoid the post. Or just use the spoiler function. 

Post can be about what you did or didn't like, something that caught your attention in the story, etc.. this isn't highschool literature class, you won't be failed for not being complex enough. 😁

Current goal is to have book finished by end of April and then we will vote again. 

As always feel free to provide suggestions and feedback. 

happy reading! 📚📚

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted

Is this a good version?
https://www.amazon.com/Color-Magic-Novel-Discworld-ebook/dp/B000W9399S

I ask, because I know sometimes there are different revisions of these books, so if there is a better one, I'd get it.  If it doesn't matter, then please ignore ha.  

I've always been curious about the Discworld series, and thought about getting it on Kindle.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Oh, it's certainly not a requirement . I imagine most are the same.  I just meant like...if someone has to buy it anyway (like me) if there is like a better or definitive version out there, I'd rather get it.  There may not be for this particular entry.

I've read a few books before where there is like the one "good" version that everyone tells you is the best, or something something.  I don't know, not a big deal ha!

• Like 1

@spacepup‘s question totally reminds of when my wife and I first started dating.  It was back when all the physical book stores were actively shuttering and we used to go around seeing what we could find.  Pick up this beautiful hard cover faux leather Hitchhikers Guide compendium on the cheap.  At some point she loaned it out and it was never heard from again.  Haven’t been able to find an adequate replacement since.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I actually started reading it a few days ago.  Sucked me in pretty quickly.  Been on hold cuz Survivor but pretty stoked to read this finally.  

I got excited because I thought you were talking about the show Survivor returning. Obviously something else haha.

Social Team · Posted

I may be the odd one here but I read to music.  I'll read a book to only one album and some books series by artist and not just an album.  If I hear a song from the album it will bring the story back to my mind so it's like a bonus to a good song.  I noticed this when I was a teen and would play the same album/playlist over and over again when reading.  Unfortunately I'm an idiot and don't keep track of what albums I listen to what books I read except for two series and one book of recently.  So now I gotta find an album to devote to this book.

Social Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Never understood how some can do that. I need like total silence or just plain white noise like storms (pandora has an excellent station for this). 

Music acts as a white noise machine for me.  So long as it's something I know well and enjoy it'll just drown out anything and I sink into the story I'm reading.  Otherwise the slightest background noise distracts me.  Sure the music is there but generally I don't listen to it.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I may be the odd one here but I read to music.  I'll read a book to only one album and some books series by artist and not just an album.  If I hear a song from the album it will bring the story back to my mind so it's like a bonus to a good song.  I noticed this when I was a teen and would play the same album/playlist over and over again when reading.  Unfortunately I'm an idiot and don't keep track of what albums I listen to what books I read except for two series and one book of recently.  So now I gotta find an album to devote to this book.

I've only done this once when I was 16. I would listen to Halfway Between The Gutter and the Stars by Fatboy Slim while I read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. Not related in anyway but the Praise You video (which I loved) was all over MTV and had just found an old 1940-50s copy of the book at a thrift store.

• Like 2

How's everyone enjoying the book so far? 

I didn't know much going into it but I really like it so far. Only thing that bothersome is it doesn't have chapters? So it's hard for me to pick a place to stop reading. Unless my copy is just messed up and it really does have chapters. Lol

I really like the prologues through our giving background on the 

Spoiler

Demi gods playing games with the characters. 

It reads like a big ol d&d campaign. Crazy after crazy. 

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Lunch. Time to get a move on. 

PXL_20210407_184837915.jpg

I'll note that I'm an incredibly slow reader. This may well be the only book I read all year. Maybe with some encouraging words from some friends I might get it done in a timely manner. 

You can do it! You’re the best! You got this man, we believe in you! This book has nothing on you!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Shmup said:

It might be because I’m reading this before bed, but I’m up to page 35 and I’m lost. I couldn’t tell you what is happening right now. Also, really long chapters make it hard to stop and pickup again. It’s ok so far but a bit different from what I was expecting.

Right! I had to get a sample from Amazon just to make sure my copy wasn't just poorly laid out or something. I think it's great once your reading it, but stopping and picking up again is a little werid. 

Can't believe over 40 books in the series. Tho I hope they're written better, Formatting wise that is. Lol

36 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Lunch. Time to get a move on. 

PXL_20210407_184837915.jpg

I'll note that I'm an incredibly slow reader. This may well be the only book I read all year. Maybe with some encouraging words from some friends I might get it done in a timely manner. 

You can do it. 😁😁

Also that's is how I eat my lunch at work too hahaa. Just prop up the kindle and read hands free.

• Like 1

I'm only 30% through it, but there is a cocaine fueled pace to it in a sense. Def like the character building and visual storytelling.

Character wise I really like 

Spoiler

The frickin luggage!! Read the next spoiler if yer up to about 30% I guess?

Spoiler

in the big broken drum taven fight, the luggage biting them fingies and eatin people oh man..  The tongue! Yesss I love the idea of the giant tongue. Pretty cool part all around.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1