IGNORED

April 2021 Read : The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

SailorScoutMandy

Administrator · Posted

My kindle says I’m 15% through.  I think I need more time with it to feel like I’m fully in the universe.  The skipping around is a bit random and after a short while I realize it, but it isn’t always the most intuitive imo.

I do feel like the characters are interesting and I want to know more about

Spoiler

Twoflower and the Luggage.  It definitely seems interesting and I want to see where it goes.  Also, I think the relationship between Twoflower and Rincewind is interesting and I do want to see where their journey goes.  Rincewind is interesting because I can already tell he is relatively complex and even flawed, but that is a good thing.

9 hours ago, spacepup said:

My kindle says I’m 15% through.  I think I need more time with it to feel like I’m fully in the universe.  The skipping around is a bit random and after a short while I realize it, but it isn’t always the most intuitive imo.

I do feel like the characters are interesting and I want to know more about

Reveal hidden contents

Twoflower and the Luggage.  It definitely seems interesting and I want to see where it goes.  Also, I think the relationship between Twoflower and Rincewind is interesting and I do want to see where their journey goes.  Rincewind is interesting because I can already tell he is relatively complex and even flawed, but that is a good thing.

Yea it's a little much to take in, I don't think I can read more than this first book based off the writing style sadly. At least I can say I tried tho. 

Spoiler

Flawed characters are the best, I think it really allows for more growth to be seen in the story. If you start with perfect characters, how is the story to evolve

I'm about 60% through according to kindle tracker 

Spoiler

I wish they spent more time in the temple of 8. I feel that could have been so cool but it was very brief. Same with the visits with the dryads. 

I hope his one use spell is to do laundry or something hilariously uncool, while people have been scared of it the entire time. Haha 

8 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Yea it's a little much to take in, I don't think I can read more than this first book based off the writing style sadly. At least I can say I tried tho. 

Reveal hidden contents

Flawed characters are the best, I think it really allows for more growth to be seen in the story. If you start with perfect characters, how is the story to evolve

I'm about 60% through according to kindle tracker 

Hide contents

I wish they spent more time in the temple of 8. I feel that could have been so cool but it was very brief. Same with the visits with the dryads. 

I hope his one use spell is to do laundry or something hilariously uncool, while people have been scared of it the entire time. Haha 

I’m glad I’m not the only one struggling with it.

I’ve decided to not continue reading the book. I don’t like to do that because it is the first book, but I don’t have too much free time, so I don’t want to read a book I don’t enjoy. I will read these comments to get the gist of it 🙂

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:19 AM, SailorScoutMandy said:

This is a problem with the Wizard books of Discworld, you hop around a little bit more than the others.  If you finish it, and feel like you can give it one more go, read one of the Witch books, Wyrd Sisters or Lords and Ladies.  They are more focused on the main characters, and the world is a little bit more of the familiar "fantasy" world.  

Moderator · Posted

Finished it up, very good book. Loved the chaos and the characters, I can’t help think that Jim Butcher took inspiration from Rincewind for Harry Dresden. The ending is.....interesting, but based on comments from blogs, this isn’t typical of the Disc World books, and most seem to think this is one of the weaker books in the series. I’m looking forward to reading more in the series, especially the ones that focus on Death. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

I'm lagging a bit behind due to being a bit busy.  Still making some progress.  The story is interesting, and I like the sense of humor, some parts very dark even though light-hearted, but if I'm being totally honest, the style isn't the most casual / enjoyable to read.  I get what he's going for, but it's just not my favorite.  I don't mind the pace of action and whatnot, that doesn't bother me, but a few times I've had to go back and re-read a few sections because I was a bit lost for a moment.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
On 4/26/2021 at 12:45 PM, doner24 said:

Finished it up, very good book. Loved the chaos and the characters, I can’t help think that Jim Butcher took inspiration from Rincewind for Harry Dresden. The ending is.....interesting, but based on comments from blogs, this isn’t typical of the Disc World books, and most seem to think this is one of the weaker books in the series. I’m looking forward to reading more in the series, especially the ones that focus on Death. 

Yeah, same.  I pick them up whenever I find them at thrift stores, which has me up to 6-7 random books across the different characters.  I like that you can apparently read them in whatever order you want.

I gave it a 4/5 on Goodreads.

• Like 1

I don't read much high fantasy but I thought this book was ok. I feel like the humor was really the only thing going for it. There didn't seem like there was any particular story structure or character development; it just seemed to be "this happened, and then this happened, and then...". That being said, I still kind of feel the allure of checking out the next book to see where, if anywhere, the story goes. And why are there so many naked people? Is it just a power fantasy thing?

Spoiler

And did I miss the part where Twoflower learned english or whatever the native language is? I feel like one minute Rincewind has to translate everything for him, and then after they get split up, Twoflower and Hrun are in Wyrmburg chattin' it up in their cell.

Edited by Aguy
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 2:45 PM, doner24 said:

I can see the dresden reference. Both think more in the moment and deal with consequences. 

• 4 weeks later...

I finally found time to finish it up yesterday evening, after barreling through the first 3/4 in a few days.  Busy couple of months!  That being said, having seen the movie, I am really disappointed with the random, non-ending ending that I was presented with.  Apparently I finished the book a couple of nights ago as I was dozing off and didn't realize it was the end of the book, so last night I backtracked from the explanatory appendix immediately after the end a bit to make sure I was in the right spot, finished the book, then used Google to make sure the digital copy I had wasn't somehow incomplete.  At this point I'm not sure if the movie version actually straddled two books (in that it actually had a real ending) or if the folks who adapted it for the screen simply took a good guess as to where things would end up and wrapped them up there.

I enjoyed the book overall, the characters, the worldbuilding, the rushing pace and overall goofiness of everything happenig.  However, if I had picked this up when it was new, without knowing that there were a plethora of sequels a quick click away, I have doubts that I would ever pick up another book by the author given the totally disappointing, random nonsense of the non-ending ending presented.  Even a "to be continued" or "Rincewind and Two-Flower will return" would have solved this.  Needless to say, I don't react well to being held hostage as a reader (or a viewer) to such cliffhanger nonsense when there's no guarantee that the creator has or will actually produce the bit that resolves the precipice I've been left on.

In context of knowing there's a bunch of other books and a fully fleshed out universe it's good, but in the context of how it was originally released, screw that guy, lol.