IGNORED

Reading suggestions

SailorScoutMandy

Editorials Team · Posted

I'll nominate something that is already in my backlog.  The first Discworld book.

The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1)

It's spawned a franchise that is still going decades later, revered by fans.  And it's rather short and manageable.  I have never read my copy, but this would be a good excuse.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'll nominate something that is already in my backlog.  The first Discworld book.

It's spawned a franchise that is still going decades later, revered by fans.  And it's rather short and manageable.  I have never read my copy, but this would be a good excuse.

That’s been on my list forever too.  I’ve actually put  it on my hold list through the library several times and then forgotten about it when it finally comes available.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Also been on my want to read list forever so I’ll third this one.

I’ll throw a few of my backlog as suggestions with goodreads links for plot summary.

Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14497.Neverwhere

Patrick deWitt - French Exit

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36300687-french-exit?from_search=true&from_srp=kIG3O4kCnA&qid=1

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted

I'll propose A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

PiersAnthony_ASpellForChameleon.jpg

This is the first book in the Xanth Series that is STILL on going with 44 books currently in the series.  It's a magical kindom where puns a massive part of the world, ie Pineapples are basically hand grenades (old WWII slang for American grenades), Boot Rear is a fizzy soda that when drunk will make you feel a kick in the but.  Catastrophe is a plaque with a back half of a cat stuck on it (Cat-ass-trophy).  If you love puns you'll love this book for sure.  But the book is more than that which is why the series has lasted so long...

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
15 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

I'll propose A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

PiersAnthony_ASpellForChameleon.jpg

This is the first book in the Xanth Series that is STILL on going with 44 books currently in the series.  It's a magical kindom where puns a massive part of the world, ie Pineapples are basically hand grenades (old WWII slang for American grenades), Boot Rear is a fizzy soda that when drunk will make you feel a kick in the but.  Catastrophe is a plaque with a back half of a cat stuck on it (Cat-ass-trophy).  If you love puns you'll love this book for sure.  But the book is more than that which is why the series has lasted so long...

You're telling me there's a series of 44 (and counting) books wherein likely every single page contains some manner of silly pun?

Moderator · Posted
On 3/23/2021 at 11:19 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I 4th this as I also have the book but have never read it. 

Social Team · Posted
20 minutes ago, Gloves said:

You're telling me there's a series of 44 (and counting) books wherein likely every single page contains some manner of silly pun?

I've read about the first 17 books.  Every single page.....that's not too far off.  I'd be hard press for someone to show me a book with more puns that isn't a single one off book but a trilogy at least.  Fun fact the the book series was meant to be only be a trilogy but it sold so well he just continued the story/characters/world.

Edited by FireHazard51

Social Team · Posted
12 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Ooh.  Yes please.  I’ve never been able to pass a “shoulder work ahead” sign without commenting about there being guys doing shrugs on the side of the road.  It’s a disease really.

You sir think exactly like the author Piers Anthony.  So many every day terms or sayings that I never thought about how easy they can be made into puns.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Oh, and a suggestion, one of my favorite books, the first in a series of 4 (though you could easily just read the first 2, there's a few hundred years gap between book 2 and 3):

Hyperion!

image.jpeg

Also in my backlog 😅

Clearly it doesn't matter how fast I move, there's always a plethora of shit still to do

I know it's huge reading but I'd love to finally read Dune. Was given the awesome recently released copy that's beautiful. But it's just such a task lol. 

The crown tower by michael sullivan has been on like to read list for awhile. Same with Mythos: the greek myths retold by stephen fry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I know it's huge reading but I'd love to finally read Dune. Was given the awesome recently released copy that's beautiful. But it's just such a task lol. 

I loved Dune.  Very cool concept and really engrossing to read.  I think I made it through most of the Frank Herbert novels but he lost me on like book 5 or something when we encounter Space Jews.

1 hour ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Now is as good a time as any to crack into Dune with the new movie coming out, which looks like a much more faithful adaptation.  Sci Fi in the way that it looks at the future of humans more than just the future of our technology.  Kind of a timeless book with still a lot to say about politics, religion, and philosophy.

Edited by fox

Just now, fox said:

Now is as good a time as any to crack into Dune with the new movie coming out, which looks like a much more faithful adaptation.  Kind of a timeless book with still a lot to say about politics, religion, and philosophy.

I had an older release I was trying to read but it's so much tiny font my eyes when crossways hahha. I'm hoping with larger font it'll be easier 

On 3/24/2021 at 12:19 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

That cover art looks really cool.  Never read their stuff but now I am interested.

• 2 months later...

Some more books that have been on my "to read" list. These have all been made into movies and I'm curious to read the original:

John Dies at the End by David Wong is like a mash-up  of Douglas Adams and Stephen King. Two wisecracking slackers attempt to thwart an invasion by supernatural beings after taking a drug called Soy Sauce which gives the users a window into another dimension.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Details the grueling journey of a father and his young son over a period of several months across a landscape blasted by an unspecified cataclysm that has destroyed industrial civilization and almost all life. When I read the graphic novel Sweet Tooth, it reminded me of this a little bit.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn a crime thriller about whether or not Nick Dunne is involved in the disappearance of his wife Amy.

Who censored Roger Rabbit by Gary Wolf. Quite a bit different from the movie... in this the toons star in comic strips and speech balloons appear over their heads when they talk

If this group is open to doing graphic novels, I would also like to nominate the graphic novel I created, The Scientists: a Goonies-like adventure story about a group of smart kids kidnapped from a science fair who must try to escape from a mysterious experiment. I have physical hardback and paperback versions available, but I can also provide a free PDF copy if anyone needs it. I mostly just would like to hear feedback and discussion on it.

Edited by G-type
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...