IGNORED

Ever had trouble with food deliveries? Share your tales!

AmandaCathedral

I know there's another thread about fast food, so I'm sorry if this is a little needless, but I was wondering if you all have had any interesting stories about people who have delivered food to your house?

I seem to have the most trouble with Pizza Hut. I'll only order from them once in a blue moon, and always remember why I never do it despite loving their food. I don't know if it's because it's Canadian Pizza Hut or what, but here's what happened the most recent time.

It was about a week ago now, and due to the pandemic the guy wasn't letting me hold the debit machine, which was already weird since nobody else in nearly a year of this nonsense has asked for me not to hold the machine. I play along for a bit, and after he puts in the price, he very quickly chooses the tip option so it's on a percentage. I tell him that he needs to redo it so I can not tip him 25%, and then he starts playing dumb about how there isn't an "amount" option. I try to take it from his hands so I can do it myself, and he pulls it away and tells me not to.

I tell him exactly how to do it, and he lets on he didn't know despite knowing exactly what button to press at the screen that says "amount" or "percentage" to make it so he tried to get the maximum tip percent, and then when it gets to the point where I have to put my debit pin number in, he asks me "what numbers do I press"?

I kind of lose my cool for a moment and say to him, "Can I NOT tell you what my debit number is? Give me the machine so I can put it in!" I grab the machine from his hands at that point and do it myself so he can't see, and then he calls me a cunt before making me take the pizza out of his bag, as if suddenly it's not an issue for me to touch things.

The guy was clearly up to no good, but I'm not going to accuse him of what since I have no idea.

Anyone else have any bizarre food delivery stories?

We would get calls from people out in bumble funk nowhere wanting delivery.  We didn’t have a range, so it was a judgement call if you knew where it was.  New guy decided to take it and disappeared.  Called like an hour later from some trailer park at night lost.  We legit thought Leatherface got him.

Lots of no tippers.  Like you talk to me on the phone to take your order, I get your rice, your egg roll, your soup, your cookies, tons of sauces, pack up all of that in little containers, get in my own car and drive it to your house.  I do everything but cook your entree.  That isn’t worth a tip?  You tip a waiter who carries a plate 20 feet to your table.  What gives?  

That is ok we would put those addresses into the computer and black ball them.  Next time they called they would suddenly be out of our delivery range. No tip, no delivery 😉

• Like 1

Worked for the hut , domino s , and pj s ( not the coffee ) . 

From what you explaining , you could ve gotten him suspend , written up , and my favorite being fired . For acting like that . 

But also wanted to mention , no one wants to tip their waiter/ delivery driver nowadays from what i exprience . As they are prepping and preparing your lunch or dinner . I mean , have plenty of account(s) at where i deliver a 70 plus order by not even getting tipped or around it off to the nearest dollar ( 78,35 to 79,00 ) . So i learned quickly at who the no tipper(s) were , dealth with that accordingly .

And with the delivery fee that is added to your delivery , the driver does not receive that . Corporate does . 

But they have over option(s) for delivery like grubhub or ubereats . But their delivery fee(s) are much higher . 

But the way that dude represented himself at the work place , you talked to their GM or DM ( general manager or district manager ) .

Edited by Jfreakofkorn
  • Like 1

My wife and I ordered something from Doordash one night from a fried chicken place. The guy had another delivery first (not uncommon) and went to that location first even though it was further away - so it was probably an hour from the time he left the restaurant to getting to our door. Not a huge deal - fried chicken tenders are still good at room temp.  BUT...

the guy shows up at the door empty handed. Tells me that he had another delivery first with the same name as mine, and supposedly gave the person BOTH orders. I call bullshit on that since he knew he had another delivery and no other food, but thats what he said. Then he claimed that he realized his mistake after he left and went back but the customer wouldn't respond. He said he couldnt get ahold of me by cell phone so he drove all the way to the house to tell us that he didn't have our food. So I call Doordash of course to get a refund and order from another place. 10m later the guy comes back to the house to tell me he's "trying to figure it out with Doordash" and I explained I took care of it and sent him away.

Definitely the worst and most frustrating delivery experience. Waited nearly 2hrs total for our dinner and ended up empty handed. Thankfully a place nearby was still open

18 hours ago, AmandaCathedral said:

I kind of lose my cool for a moment and say to him, "Can I NOT tell you what my debit number is? Give me the machine so I can put it in!" I grab the machine from his hands at that point and do it myself so he can't see, and then he calls me a cunt before making me take the pizza out of his bag, as if suddenly it's not an issue for me to touch things.

Insanity. Absolutely no way the guy should be asking somebody for their PIN number but even if they gott worked up about it for whatever reason the reaction he had was completely inappropriate under any circumstances let alone speaking to a custom when he's at work. Totally agree with Jfreakofkorn , I would expect the driver would get disciplined pretty hard if you reported it. I can't imagine that they'd brush it off and instead leave you to go write reviews about their business and how their drivers act

Edited by GharetSaiDe

I could have pursued it further, but it's not worth my time and stress to deal with something like that. I've already decided that if I want to punish the Pizza Hut drivers for all the bad service they've given me over the years, I'm just going to make the special effort and pick up from the store rather than do delivery at all. 😛

2 hours ago, AmandaCathedral said:

I could have pursued it further, but it's not worth my time and stress to deal with something like that. I've already decided that if I want to punish the Pizza Hut drivers for all the bad service they've given me over the years, I'm just going to make the special effort and pick up from the store rather than do delivery at all. 😛

I went to Pizza Hut today for a pizza and I ended up getting carry out. Besides the high delivery fee, they charge tax for some reasons. A $12 pizza would have been almost $17 and that wasn't counting a tip.

Never really had a “bad” experience- Living in the bay area allows me and my wife to literally get anything delivered almost within two hours and we have used multiple different services. Everything from sushi, to a new 80” Flatscreen (when our living room one shit out in early april 2020)

door dash

grub hub

postmates

amazon/amazon fresh

imperfect produce

home depot

target

walmart

ikea

lowes

bestbuy

The business for delivery services is pretty ravenous around here, and the service is almost always perfect because of how high the competition is. 

The only issues we ever have are with door dash because we have been using it about once a week since a year before Covid and every once in a while a place will miss a sauce or something. We dont burn anyone though, its not worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm convinced that the ever increasing delivery fees are basically a laziness tax.

100% true and I will happily pay it. We joke about it often. 
But I know people that make legit decent money off door dash, whose jobs have been affected by the big Rona. So We justify it by “supporting the community”

If delivery fees are 7$, and a tip is 10$, I will pay 17$ all day to skip a 30-45 minute round trip to pick something up-  its just less exposure to people, and puts money in someones pocket. 

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Never really had a “bad” experience- Living in the bay area allows me and my wife to literally get anything delivered almost within two hours and we have used multiple different services. Everything from sushi, to a new 80” Flatscreen (when our living room one shit out in early april 2020)

door dash

grub hub

postmates

amazon/amazon fresh

imperfect produce

home depot

target

walmart

ikea

lowes

bestbuy

The business for delivery services is pretty ravenous around here, and the service is almost always perfect because of how high the competition is. 

The only issues we ever have are with door dash because we have been using it about once a week since a year before Covid and every once in a while a place will miss a sauce or something. We dont burn anyone though, its not worth it. 

100% true and I will happily pay it. We joke about it often. 
But I know people that make legit decent money off door dash, whose jobs have been affected by the big Rona. So We justify it by “supporting the community”

If delivery fees are 7$, and a tip is 10$, I will pay 17$ all day to skip a 30-45 minute round trip to pick something up-  its just less exposure to people, and puts money in someones pocket. 

I've been tipping more, especially if I go out since the waiters/bartenders are really hurting right now. 

• Like 1

I’m glad tipping isn’t a thing here, avoids awkward situations around what is the right amount etc. Much better to pay a living wage to workers and deliveries. Also gives workers a sense of worth not getting poverty wages.

Although Uber and the likes are messing that up with their slave labour rates. Hopefully that is fixed soon.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm convinced that the ever increasing delivery fees are basically a laziness tax.

That's one good reason I don't.  If I want a pizza, the dominoes is seriously a 1/2 mile down the road.  I'll go in and get their $6/large 3 topping pizza deal which is carry out only.  Even if that didn't exist, I'm not paying some bullshit delivery fee and then also on top be expected to tip the driver.  Suddenly you're like a $10 pizza with a $7 lazy and guilt tax.'

I'm fine pulling up even to a restaurant and giving a moderate tip for those who prep the food and carry it out to me, but that's where I draw the line, and I've done a bit more due to the crap going on now because the wait staff don't deserve being burned.