IGNORED

Best NES controller replacement parts

phart010

11 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

just my opinion but ive tried a few aftermarket rubbers and never have any luck. i just frankenstien oem parts to make really good controlers and really shitty ones the latter i let @Bearcat-Doug use.

I used to save the rubber pieces out of broken controllers too. I don't know how good the aftermarket ones are, but it doesn't seem like something that should be too difficult to make.

I don't use those, but I use similar ones that do work like originals. Be damned if I can find them again.

I'll have to go through my ebay history.

edit: yeah, I can't find them. They weren't translucent, but white/black rubber like OEM.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

just my opinion but ive tried a few aftermarket rubbers and never have any luck. i just frankenstien oem parts to make really good controlers and really shitty ones the latter i let @Bearcat-Doug use.

^ Best advice is right here.  Over the years of yard-saling and flea-marketing and whatnot, I would occasionally come across NES consoles with the controller chords cut (I assume by angry Mom's who wanted their little Johnny's to stop playing video games once and for all), and I saved them all for parts for whenever I wear out my primary controllers, which does happen about every five years...

TLDR:  OEM parts for life!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I don't use those, but I use similar ones that do work like originals. Be damned if I can find them again.

I'll have to go through my ebay history.

edit: yeah, I can't find them. They weren't translucent, but white/black rubber like OEM.

Really interested in getting those OEM-like replacement ones that you mentioned 

9 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I was just about to link that, he doesn't sell garbage.  Though so far I've yet to buy any as I like others still use salvageable OEM parts first, only go to the other as a last resort.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 8bitdontquit said:

@phart010 Did you end up ordering either of these? Interested in some feed back. I've already ruined 3 controllers in 2 years of the nes comp. and the new season is about to begin. 

I actually placed an order for the ones at mortoff games around the time I posted that link. Unfortunately haven’t received them yet, they are super slow to ship. I sure hope the quality is worth the wait

Edited by phart010

@8bitdontquit ironically, after mentioning the order here last night, it just arrived in the mail today. I will report back when I try these out

edit: ok just tested it out for two minutes. Seems pretty good, I did have a button miss, but I’m not sure if that’s due to the wear on the pcb contractors, I did clean them a little with alcohol. 

The buttons are not excessively clicky, although I haven’t tried the clear ones to be able to compare. They do feel more firm than my worn out originals, although that may be how they are supposed to feel. I have an NES classic mini to compare with, definitely slightly more firm than the NES classic mini controller, but not by a lot.

My first impression when opening my controller was that these look like exact replacement parts. They appear to be the same type of material as the originals. 

Overall I’m pretty happy with these 

Edited by phart010
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2021 at 10:37 PM, Tulpa said:

I haven't seen them for sale in quite some time. They're virtually indistinguishable from the originals, aside from some age the originals may show.

They might be the mortoff ones. You may have to wait 3 weeks for them, but I thinks it’s worth the wait

Edited by phart010

40 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@phart010 when you say "clicky"...?

i like when they click. like a snap from a good pickle.

i hate when the button feels mushy and i cant tell if i pushed it or if it came back up...

I’ve read on another forum where people are talking about the clear ones and they excessively stiff/clicky. Just mentioning here that the white ones do click slightly, but not excessively

• Like 1

19 hours ago, phart010 said:

They might be the mortoff ones. You may have to wait 3 weeks for them, but I thinks it’s worth the wait

Yeah, that's them.

I remember that the dude who runs it sometimes disappears off the Internet for a while. Might be the reason for the long ship times. Quality parts, though.

I prefer to refurbish the originals if possible.  You can boil them for 30 - 45 seconds to help make them snappy again, and once they're dry you can drag them across a piece of paper restore their conductivity.  I got this from a video by retro repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my order from mortoff games a few days ago.  Pleasantly pleased , the d pad ones feel identical. The buttons pads had a bit of "snap" feel to them but that settled out in a few hours. Like brand new controllers and Under $12 shipped for 3 sets..  wish I had ordered them sooner.!

Edited by 8bitdontquit
  • Like 2