IGNORED

Working at home

SailorScoutMandy

As you all know 2020 was a dumpster fire that has caused me to have to work at home since March (still no word on when they're letting people come back). 

Wanted to know what you'd suggest for a wireless headset. The one they gave is shit and kills my ears by the end of my shift. 

Product reviews on sites are sketch, wanted to ask different group of random people. 🙃🙃

Sorry, I won't be much help, but I'm still curious.  Are you using the headset just for Zoom meetings, or do you use it for your normal calls as well?  I'm not on my phone enough to need a headset for that, and when it comes to Zoom meetings, I've opted to use my computer speakers and the microphone built into my camera.  I personally don't like using headsets, and while some of the information I discuss is confidential (financial information), I don't have an issue with other people listening in, so using my speakers hasn't been a problem.  

1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

Sorry, I won't be much help, but I'm still curious.  Are you using the headset just for Zoom meetings, or do you use it for your normal calls as well?  I'm not on my phone enough to need a headset for that, and when it comes to Zoom meetings, I've opted to use my computer speakers and the microphone built into my camera.  I personally don't like using headsets, and while some of the information I discuss is confidential (financial information), I don't have an issue with other people listening in, so using my speakers hasn't been a problem.  

I'm a call center rep so I take calls all day. Really need to find one with a good mic cause sometimes the old people can barely hear me and I have to literally yell into my mic hah

• Haha 2

Administrator · Posted

Is this for use on a computer, or on a physical phone you'd have to connect to?

If for use on computer I'd suggest getting a comfy headset, and a completely separate mic. A Blue Yeti mic has hardware controls for gain that you could tune on an individual user basis. If you find someone can't hear you, instead of yelling (which does impact your tone), you could just add gain by turning the nob on the mic to increase the volume for them to hear you better.

Further, doing the above would enable you to get a very comfy headset without having to worry about the quality of the mic, which is great because often headset mic quality sucks in the first place, and the ones that don't are often compromising in other areas such as comfort.

• Like 2

When we went work from home, I just used my then daily driver, the Logitech H600.  No issues with people hearing me and no real issues with making my ears sore unless I wore it beyond 10-12 hours (wearing it for work then gaming with it afterward as well).  More recently, I caught a Logitech G533 on relatively deep discount and picked it up and found it's a ton more comfortable (cushions to surround my ears versus sitting on them) with more convenient and better onboard controls for mute, volume, etc.  Both will continue to work while having a charger plugged into them and both make beep tones in your ears to let you know when they're starting to get low.  If you go with either of those or something similar, I'd suggest picking up a longer than normal cable for those occasions when you either forget to charge them or need to charge them while in use.  The G533 comes with a decent length one, but the H600  doesn't.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

It'd be used on a pc. Was looking for headset over a multiple piece set up, desk is just a table so not too much room. Still working on upgrading that haha. 

Thanks for the suggestions doods. 

Get an arm and it hardly takes up any space, technically:

PXL_20210122_021145448.jpg

• Like 1

This is what I use every day for work:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Headsets/Wireless-Headsets/VOID-RGB-ELITE-Wireless-Premium-Gaming-Headset-with-7-1-Surround-Sound/p/CA-9011202-NA

I've been pretty happy with it. Sounds good, isn't bluetooth which is awful for audio (it uses a dongle so its plug n play), and its wireless range is good. I wear it all day as I'm constantly in a call or meeting. I got it for the same reason, the one work provided was nice but was a bit uncomfortable after an extended period of time.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
Mispelling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

Ended up with the corsair void rbg. They are hella comfy. Thanks @SNESNESCUBE64

they also had then in white which matches my pc. 🙃🙃

I really like them. I've now owned two pairs, unfortunately they do have a rechargeable battery which means it does degrade, but that took like 3 or 4 years for it to get to that point.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I've got some Bose QC35 II's that I really like. Wireless, long battery life, comfortable (I forget I'm wearing them half the time), and noise cancelling. They're expensive but I use them for calls and listening to music pretty much all work day. 

I 2nd this.. They're totally worth the money .. I've worn my so much over the years I had to buy replacement ear-pads for them, but they're still the best headphones i've ever owned
spacer.png