IGNORED

need a java teacher.

JVOSS

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

lol yes they do but if i can understand what api is maybe just maybe i can do some good in the small world of collecting data...

FYI if you're hoping to make a new Price Charting / GVN, chances are you'll be entirely unable to regardless of any effort put in on your part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JVOSS said:

lol yes they do but if i can understand what api is maybe just maybe i can do some good in the small world of collecting data...

An API is basically a license to link to another service. Ebay has an API where you can pay a fee and make a web request to pull data from them. They'll spit out any sales data you request like total sales, average price, whatever you want. All of that is provided via API.

This seems like it would be more suited to a web programming language like PHP or Python, not something as incredibly heavy as Java that's used more for client application development. Ebay should offer a PHP API you could learn more easily.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Code Monkey said:

An API is basically a license to link to another service. Ebay has an API where you can pay a fee and make a web request to pull data from them. They'll spit out any sales data you request like total sales, average price, whatever you want. All of that is provided via API.

This seems like it would be more suited to a web programming language like PHP or Python, not something as incredibly heavy as Java that's used more for client application development. Ebay should offer a PHP API you could learn more easily.

I agree with everything you said here, but a fun note - GVN was originally built on Java and stayed that way until recently. I believe GoCollect have since ported over to PHP. 

I wonder if someone could do that for just limited print games. I mean with only hundreds of games as opposed to tens of thousands the data should be more manageable. And since lmited print games seem to be a continuing trend with a live aftermarket, you may be able to monetize the data.

Edited by Californication

with the api i have it is limited qty but i don't know how to handle the newer web codeing. (was html about 30 years ago) never did much after that and now the new stuff like php, java, style sheets, and html5 have no clue how this all works now. it a how lot of code that i don't know how to use anymore so was hoping someone can guide me.

If you have specific questions about programming concepts or Java syntax, then StackOverflow is a much better place to search and then ask if you don't find your question has already been answered (unlikely for Java). I bet a lot of the code around pulling data from Ebay is already well documented elsewhere.

It's not clear what sort of program you're trying to write and it sounds like you have almost no Java or Javascript knowledge so I can see why people are hesitant to "help" (i.e. write your program for you)

Good luck!