IGNORED

Was Mario All Stars made before Mario World?

phart010

I saw a video where they interviewed Miyamoto to talk about how Mario World was made. He said they started by porting Mario 3 to SNES. Then they started adding new features to the game..

Since Mario 3 is ported to SNES on Super Mario All stars and all 3 Mario games conceivably run on the same engine, I wonder if the games in Mario All stars were actually made first and just got released later.

• Wow! 1

NES code is extremely easy to get running on SNES due to the CPU's compatibility mode, so I don't think you should read too much into that. I think they just started the next Mario project based on what they already had in SMB3, which is pretty common - why reinvent the wheel?

SMW in general shows a lot of tendencies towards originally being developed with NES limitations in mind, and I've heard speculations that the game even started development on the NES originally. Though I'm sure it's not unlikely that an early prototype indeed did run on the NES, I think in general the game was just such an early title that for most of its development cycle they weren't really 100% certain about how the SNES hardware would end up.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Sumez said:

NES code is extremely easy to get running on SNES due to the CPU's compatibility mode, so I don't think you should read too much into that. I think they just started the next Mario project based on what they already had in SMB3, which is pretty common - why reinvent the wheel?

SMW in general shows a lot of tendencies towards originally being developed with NES limitations in mind, and I've heard speculations that the game even started development on the NES originally. Though I'm sure it's not unlikely that an early prototype indeed did run on the NES, I think in general the game was just such an early title that for most of its development cycle they weren't really 100% certain about how the SNES hardware would end up.

So true, reminds me of that release a few years back where someone kind of hotwired Super Mario World to run on the NES and it works, weird and strange, but it kind of works.  It's not the method you're thinking there of compatibility in that way but it shows how you can pipe the stuff back to the 8bit system being creative about it.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:13 AM, Code Monkey said:

No. I have a Mega Man 3 prototype that is just a ported Famicom version of the code. It's from before they reworked some of it to include the NES version of release.

16 hours ago, trj22487 said:

The Famicom is not the same as the NES.

Yes. Yes it is. It's not really a subjective take. 🙂
I mean, sure you could argue that there's a different console design and branding process that justifies separation whenever you're talking about those aspects, but not when you're talking about the system hardware and software itself. You can put a "famicom game" on an "nes cartridge" and it'll play out of the box. There is no "porting" involved, unless we're talking converting games design to run from a disk system or something like that. Which we weren't. 🙂 (besides, a disk system works perfectly fine on a US NES, too)

That's not really a feature of the Famicom as much as how it is utilized. The sound is mixed on an analog audio line and is never handled by the console.
The US and PAL NES were designed with that audio channel in mind, too, but it's only connected via the expansion port in the bottom, not the cartridge port - which was probably a mistake in retrospect. 😛 

So yeah, few occasional games like Gimmick and Castlevania 3 had to have their music redone for localized version, but it's still not much of a "porting" job. 🙂 

I doubt that they ported the entire game with all/most of the polish of All-Stars before beginning Super Mario World. More likely they just got the codebase running on the new system and went from there. Tons of sequels and followups are built on code from previous games just because it's quicker and more efficient than starting rom scratch each time. I started Alfonzo using the code from Eskimo Bob, Mall Brawl using code from Alfonzo, and a few new projects using modified code from Mall Brawl. It's pretty standard programming practice, especially when going into a similar project.

• Like 1

It would make sense that All Stars was created before SMW since there is a copy of All Stars with and without SMW included on it. If SMW was done already why not just have one edition of All Stars? I also blame All Stars as being the source of Nintendo realizing they can profit heavily off selling you the same shit over and over again. I don't count SMB/Duck or the three in one because it doesn't suit my argument 🙂

Edited by a3quit4s

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

If SMW was done already why not just have one edition of All Stars?

Because they were still trying to sell SMW individually. 🙂 Otherwise not just have every game on every cartridge? Why not have Galaxy 2 on 3D All Stars?

I didn't even find out there was a version with SMW included until ten years later, and it's really more of a double-cart (like SMB+Duck Hunt) than an expanded version of All-Stars, even though you could argue that SMW would fit in with the other games. 🙂

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

It would make sense that All Stars was created before SMW since there is a copy of All Stars with and without SMW included on it. If SMW was done already why not just have one edition of All Stars?

All-Stars came out three years later. 

2 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I also blame All Stars as being the source of Nintendo realizing they can profit heavily off selling you the same shit over and over again.

But I agree with you