IGNORED

Modern Games with Low Print Runs

Do you buy modern games with low print runs, for collecting purposes?

Of all my friends that are collectors, I am the only one that specifically seeks out modern games with low print runs. I specifically seek out games that seem oddball and fun. I do play them but I am also "playing the long game" collector wise.

Do any of you do the same thing?

Seems like everything is “limited” that gets released these days. I don’t really buy anything for the collecting value, just whatever I find interesting. Really the only modern low print runs I’ve bought are the Metal Storm one, golf story cause I played the crap out of it, Jay and silent bob mall brawl cause I love the Kevin smith movies, and streets of rage 4 because SoR was my jam for a few years when I was growing up

• Like 1

Like others here, I'll buy if I like the game and intend to play it. In that case it's fun to put a special new NES or Switch title on my shelf, and I like the reassurance of knowing there's a decent chance I'll get my money back (and if I'm lucky, some value appreciation) if I ever want to resell at some point down the road. The Hotline Miami and Darius collections were two limited-print titles I've had fun with recently.

Also, I only buy standard releases. I've never come across a collector's set that looked particularly appealing to me. Even when the swag is small like a little pin or postcard, I get nervous because it's one more thing I have to keep track of. I feel like most of the big box sets are made for investors who never open them anyway.

17 minutes ago, dvertov said:

Also, I only buy standard releases. I've never come across a collector's set that looked particularly appealing to me. Even when the swag is small like a little pin or postcard, I get nervous because it's one more thing I have to keep track of. I feel like most of the big box sets are made for investors who never open them anyway.

One that I couldn't resist was the Thimbleweed Park boxed edition.  It had enough neat extras that it was like the old Infocom packages,

• Like 1

Never, not popular in certain circles I know, but I think that's incredibly stupid.

I don't even like supporting companies that do that fly by night, order now or else antics, but there are these rarer cases it's a game I adore so much and yet I detest digital rental format so much I will buy the game as it's the last and only choice because they don't even get some wonky asia-english release I can import.

I think random rare games are going to be drowned out in a sea of more intentionally limited releases, even the ones not intentionally limited. It’s not for me. Besides, the only true rare games are homebrew. Rare games don’t come off assembly lines, they’re like 30 carts made in some guys garage!

• Like 7

When SoR4 was revealed to be getting a retail release and a bunch of LRG customers threw a fit because it was no longer limited, that blew my mind. Like it’s a legitimately good game first of all, and I can’t imagine just buying something because you were told it’s limited. Not judging anyone, it’s just not my MO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Strangest said:

When SoR4 was revealed to be getting a retail release and a bunch of LRG customers threw a fit because it was no longer limited, that blew my mind. Like it’s a legitimately good game first of all, and I can’t imagine just buying something because you were told it’s limited. Not judging anyone, it’s just not my MO.

I think it's great that Limited Run allows this. So you get the "special" release for the crazy collectors and the mass market version for normies, and it keeps in line with LRG's original, laudable goal of getting more physical copies of games into circulation and out of the digital-only abyss. If that's a problem for you, invest in something else.

11 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Besides, the only true rare games are homebrew. Rare games don’t come off assembly lines, they’re like 30 carts made in some guys garage!

Hell yeah. I've bought quite a few limited print Switch games over the last year, but the one pickup I value most has to be my Kickstarter white-cart version of Alfozo's Arctic Adventure.

Edited by dvertov

I was falling into this back when Limited Run started, specially because the first few titles were becoming sought after for their rarity and all... But after a while I realized that I was picking up games that I wasn´t that interested in playing, so it would be best to just pick up what I really wanted to play. Turned out to be a good decision, some of the titles I picked up haven´t been touched to this day, like Breach & Clear for the Vita.

Personally I find LRG/SRG/RAG, etc a lot of terrible games, I can understand some particular games like "the witness", "child of light" or "beat saber" for PS4, where is a high fanbase, but 80% of the released games is "meh" and the only reason why they are sold out in 2 min. is just because they are limited editions... (and scalpers buy all of them anyway when available knowing will do a great business on ebay)...

I have some of their editions, but nothing special (oddworld and gris, and not even boxed as received only the disc as sample/promo copy) and that's fine for me as I already receive lots of games as disc only, so, no, I don't buy stuff just because is a low print.

Oh, and I also hate the NTSC/ESRB logo (I am from Europe) so you can understand my disappointing about that! 😂 

On 8/28/2020 at 4:49 PM, MyFriendPedro said:

Oh, and I also hate the NTSC/ESRB logo (I am from Europe) so you can understand my disappointing about that! 😂 

As an American, one this I love and think makes total sense is that European games and movies share the same rating system. I think we need a 100% overhaul on the rating systems in the US.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DarkTone said:

I'm sure some people want the modern stadium Events 🏟 and hope to hit it big. Even those that don't collect games. 

If i stumble across one, doesn't mean I won't think about it. But I will think of this place, and collectors who would take care of it. 

NBA Elite 11 is probably the modern Stadium Events.

• Like 1