IGNORED

Question: Can you think of a gamer service that you wish existed, or was much better than the options available?

RH

Editorials Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Someone playing through and ranking/scoring/grading every game for N64/NES/Genesis/PS1/Game Boy/etc.

I know a guy doing the SNES library and I've got some solid progress through the GB library. The real value would come from having a handful of people individually rank them all, so biases could be smoothed out and we could collectively come up with a good ranking for each library. But it's a lot of work playing all those games enough to give an honest ranking.

As a starting point, I've love to see/maintain a project on VGS where we all vote/discuss/come up with a top 1%/5%/10% for  each console library. That would be a lot more doable for most people and it would be useful info for people looking to collect the cream of the crop for those consoles. I know we've had threads discussing that very thing, but I want to get real serious about it.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I actually did do that for NES on NA, but really had a tough time getting people to submit results.  The sample size was never good enough for me

I did a "what's the best 3DS game" on r/3DS several years back. It was interesting and all, but people could only discuss/submit what they had already played. So it was just another "what's your favorite game and why is it Fire Emblem Awakening." So unless you've got a good number of people who have actually played most of the games in a library, and would be willing to check out a game that someone else says is top 10% so you can weigh in, there's not a lot of new information to be had.

I had a dream of crowdsourcing a ranked list on r/gameboy, where people would volunteer to play two games and report back which one they liked more. Not just the games everyone knows; they'd have to play two random games. But again, it's useless until you get enough data, and with a 500-game library, it's literally a hundred thousand matchups on just the first pass. So maybe some sort of optimization algorithm could start to auto-decide the obvious stuff and only the close calls would be assigned out? I pitched the idea and nobody liked it, so I'm doing it all myself lol.

Maybe we could try something here where we do NES games, and you can earn points for submitting data points. Top contributors get... something.

@Splain @Reed Rothchild Yeah but the problem is everyone like dumb RPGs, so that would fill up most of the top spaces, especially on consoles like the dumb super NES.

It's a little known fact that RPGs are Boooooooooooooooooooring, and I refuse to acknowledge the authority of a ranked list with a bunch of RPGs stinking up the upper echelons of it. 😤

• Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, OptOut said:

@Splain @Reed Rothchild Yeah but the problem is everyone like dumb RPGs, so that would fill up most of the top spaces, especially on consoles like the dumb super NES.

It's a little known fact that RPGs are Boooooooooooooooooooring, and I refuse to acknowledge the authority of a ranked list with a bunch of RPGs stinking up the upper echelons of it. 😤

You and quest can be in charge of the "second take" list where Bubsy is at #14 and Chrono Trigger is at #685