IGNORED

What is your favorite LEGO set? (You don't have to own it)

RH

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I'm an adult.

You do realize that playing Switch games, and video games in general, is considered to be child's play by many adults.  Plus, there's nothing wrong with taking interest in the same stuff your kids enjoy (or your potential kids may enjoy.) I loved LEGO as a kid.  I didn't touch them again until I had children and I actually think I enjoy them more today when I did was a kid, but it's now a corporate build effort.

I mean, to each person their own preference, but to just not like LEGO (especially when you are an engineer???) it just... well I find that surprising.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, RH said:

You do realize that playing Switch games, and video games in general, is considered to be child's play by many adults.  Plus, there's nothing wrong with taking interest in the same stuff your kids enjoy (or your potential kids may enjoy.) I loved LEGO as a kid.  I didn't touch them again until I had children and I actually think I enjoy them more today when I did was a kid, but it's now a corporate build effort.

I mean, to each person their own preference, but to just not like LEGO (especially when you are an engineer???) it just... well I find that surprising.

I was kidding re: adult. 😛

I just don't like legos. I see them as like figures that you build. I love figures, but I like them to look good/realistic as much as possible (please ignore my Nendoroid collection), and I don't enjoy the lego aesthetic.

• Haha 1

I was kidding re: adult. 😛

I just don't like legos. I see them as like figures that you build. I love figures, but I like them to look good/realistic as much as possible (please ignore my Nendoroid collection), and I don't enjoy the lego aesthetic.

Fair enough. I can understand that.  Did you play with them a a kid?  Curious because I really do think that's a big factor for most of us.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, RH said:

Fair enough. I can understand that.  Did you play with them a a kid?  Curious because I really do think that's a big factor for most of us.

I did, yes.

That said, I didn't have a happy childhood, so take that as you will.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I did, yes.

That said, I didn't have a happy childhood, so take that as you will.

I got them as a kid and never opened them. Some doctor from Kentucky bought all of my sets in the late '90s for $2500. I don't even want to know what they are worth now. I already want to cry everytime I see some NES game that I had as a kid sell for $50k+.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got them as a kid and never opened them. Some doctor from Kentucky bought all of my sets in the late '90s for $2500. I don't even want to know what they are worth now. I already want to cry everytime I see some NES game that I had as a kid sell for $50k+.

I need to go back to my parents house one day and look through all of my old childhood photos. I know there is a photo from my 4th or 5th birthday.  My brother and I were born three days short of a year, so we shared birthdays and some times presents.  Anyway, my whole family (Mom, grandparents, aunts and uncles) went and and cleared out all of the Return of the Jedi toys on clearance.  That photo is all of the toys my brother and I got that year, unopened, completely covering the dinner table at my grandparents.  It was an amazing site to behold, a bunch of figures, an Ewok Tree, and a wagon, Jabba the Hutt, a speeder (maybe two) a C-3P0 bust figurine case, and more stuff I can't even remember.

I mean, we played with those toys until we wore them out, but I have no clue what that table would be worth today if we somehow miraculously kept all of those items NIB.

Edited by RH

There are so many interesting modern LEGO sets out there that I've never owned and probably never will, it would be pretty much impossible to pick a favorite.  So I will stick with the sets I owned as a kid.  I was a huge fan of the Pirate and Castle LEGO themes and my brother was into Town.  So I had experience with most of the original lines outside of Space.  I really went back and forth between the Pirate and Castle stuff, but overall I think I preferred the Pirate sets the most with the 6277 Imperial Trading Post as my favorite overall set.  I never had the big Pirate ship (which probably would have been my favorite), but I did have the Caribbean Clipper which was slightly smaller.  

I remember selling the 6277 Imperial Trading Post in my college days for about $150.  It looks like it goes for a little more than that today.  

• Like 1

Just now, RH said:

I need to go back to my parents house one day and look through all of my old childhood photos. I know there is a photo from my 4th or 5th birthday.  My brother and I were born three days short of a year, so we shared birthdays and some times presents.  Anyway, my whole family (Mom, grand parents, aunts and uncles) went and and cleared out all of the Return of the Jedi toys on clearance.  That photo is all of the toys my brother and I got that year, unopened, completely covering the dinner table at my grandparents.  It was an amazing site to behold, a bunch of figures, an Ewok Tree, and a wagon, Jabba the Hutt, a speeder (maybe two) a C-3P0 bust figurine case, and more stuff I can't even remember.

I mean, we played with those toys until we wore them out, but I have no clue what that table would be worth today if we somehow miraculously kept all of those items NIB.

I had the airport and space monorail sets, the big castle and pirate ship sets that were mentioned earlier. For some reason I was given the big sets under the pretense they were somehow educational, so they sat unopened for 15 years until that doctor came and bought them all. I never had any interest in Legos.

40 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I never had the big Pirate ship (which probably would have been my favorite), but I did have the Caribbean Clipper which was slightly smaller.  

I had the Imperial Flagship as the only "big" pirate set I owned (otherwise I had probably a half-dozen of the smaller pirate sets... my primary interest being in the spring-loaded cannons and the LEGO gold coins to supplement the LEGO RPG that my sister and I made up for the castle sets)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

LEGO RPG that my sister and I made up for the castle sets)

That's awesome.  You just reminded me about a time when my brother and I made an RPG out of our Micro Machine toys.  Outside of LEGOs and video games, Micro Machines were also near the top of toys I enjoyed the most (and outside of video games, the only toys from my childhood that I still have today).  

The Micro Machine RPG we made was primitive and it included mostly military Micro Machines.  We used dice and rulers along with a bunch of preset numbers and stats to battle each other.  It was fun, but my brother couldn't' get into it as much as I could.  

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

It's not technically "LEGO," but I really like the nanoblocks.  They are a bit more challenging, and the smaller blocks make for smaller displays and also more fine details.  They are pretty time consuming though.

Anyway - I don't have this one, but I REALLY want it, I just can't justify the expense:

himeji-castle.png.ac089f7e53c3fc630868a24fcf50d0a9.png

https://www.nanoblock.com.sg/collections/deluxe-editions/products/himeji-castle-special-deluxe-edition-nb_042

• Like 1

This thread has made me start looking up my old sets, which has allowed me to discover Brickipedia which has been bringing me all sorts of nostalgic happiness this afternoon.  The unfortunate side effect is that all of this makes me want to start buying my old LEGO sets again.  Fortunately, I have just enough self control to avoid this...... barely.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I hear this a lot from adults and I think it’s because they haven’t looked at the sets LEGO now make aimed at adults as display pieces. They’re highly detailed models and look amazing when displayed. 
See if these sets interest you:

Star Wars:

75181- y wing

75277 - boba fett helmet

75276- stormtrooper helmet

75274- tie fighter pilot helmet

75275- a wing

Any of the architect series

21309 - Saturn V

21321- ISS

21311- Voltron 

76139- 1989 batmobile 

15 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This thread has made me start looking up my old sets, which has allowed me to discover Brickipedia which has been bringing me all sorts of nostalgic happiness this afternoon.  The unfortunate side effect is that all of this makes me want to start buying my old LEGO sets again.  Fortunately, I have just enough self control to avoid this...... barely.  

Also check out Brick Link. Normally better pricing than eBay and has a great database.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's awesome.  You just reminded me about a time when my brother and I made an RPG out of our Micro Machine toys.  Outside of LEGOs and video games, Micro Machines were also near the top of toys I enjoyed the most (and outside of video games, the only toys from my childhood that I still have today).  

The Micro Machine RPG we made was primitive and it included mostly military Micro Machines.  We used dice and rulers along with a bunch of preset numbers and stats to battle each other.  It was fun, but my brother couldn't' get into it as much as I could.  

Ours was a little more free-form than that.

But one time my sister decided to "buy" all of the weapons by spending her building time finding all of the "gems" (i.e. transparent headlight bricks) and gold coins, so then I wasn't able to arm my mercenary company to attack her village 😛

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I hear this a lot from adults and I think it’s because they haven’t looked at the sets LEGO now make aimed at adults as display pieces. They’re highly detailed models and look amazing when displayed. 
See if these sets interest you:

Star Wars:

75181- y wing

75277 - boba fett helmet

75276- stormtrooper helmet

75274- tie fighter pilot helmet

75275- a wing

Any of the architect series

21309 - Saturn V

21321- ISS

21311- Voltron 

76139- 1989 batmobile 

Yeah none of those look good to me in the slightest. They're still legos, and look like lego bricks. I'd FAR rather a regular figure that doesn't look like legos.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I might check it out for the database and pictures, but definitely not interesting in buying...........must........restrain.......myself.   

Their database is awesome.

Tons of fun to browse by era and see sets that only vaguely remember from the wishlist books.

Yeah none of those look good to me in the slightest. They're still legos, and look like lego bricks. I'd FAR rather a regular figure that doesn't look like legos.

I get what you are saying, but I'm just the opposite.  I want to build it and look at it for a little bit, but I don't want to display it afterward.  I would love to build the upcoming Nintendo LEGO set, but i have no desire to keep it as a display piece.