IGNORED

What is your favorite LEGO set? (You don't have to own it)

RH

10 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I hear this a lot from adults and I think it’s because they haven’t looked at the sets LEGO now make aimed at adults as display pieces. They’re highly detailed models and look amazing when displayed. 
See if these sets interest you:

Star Wars:

75181- y wing

75277 - boba fett helmet

75276- stormtrooper helmet

75274- tie fighter pilot helmet

75275- a wing

Any of the architect series

21309 - Saturn V

21321- ISS

21311- Voltron 

76139- 1989 batmobile 

The Saturn V was a really compelling build.  Lots of really neat ways for bricks to connect for what, in the 90's, probably would have been the most boring set imaginable to construct.  The LEGO set designers have come a long way in their brick-connection creativity.

Really looking forward to Voltron as a family build, since we watched the entire remake series together.

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

The Saturn V was a really compelling build.  Lots of really neat ways for bricks to connect for what, in the 90's, probably would have been the most boring set imaginable to construct.  The LEGO set designers have come a long way in their brick-connection creativity.

Really looking forward to Voltron as a family build, since we watched the entire remake series together.

Yeah I loved this build too. It never got boring and I was amazed at the techniques used to get such a nice shape.

I found the Voltron set a little boring because it got repetitive. As a family I think it will be great because you can each do a part then bring it together. Looks amazing when finished though.

Harry Potter castle is a fun build too and I could imagine even better with a family. Just $$$ but I always see it on discount here so probably the same for you guys.

• Like 1

Just now, Shmup said:

Harry Potter castle is a fun build too and I could imagine even better with a family. Just $$$ but I always see it on discount here so probably the same for you guys.

I have no interest in the micro-figure version of Hogwarts, but I am sorely tempted to get all of the minifigure sized sets that plug together like the old castle sets used to...  and I don't particular care for Harry Potter.  I just think it's an awesome set expansion technique and my kids would probably enjoy getting them for Christmas and Birthdays for the next 5 years as they make their way out of the closet and into wrapping paper 😛

Fallingwater is my #1, most desired set today, but as a kid, this is the bad boy I wanted.

5571-1.png

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=5571-1&name=Giant Truck&category=[Model Team]#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

I wasn't a kid that appreciated tractor trailers but I do remember that at that time it seemed like the biggest and most complex one in the brochure within the smaller sets I'd get as a kid. Compared to a lot of modern stuff, it looks so "basic" now, but I'd still love to have that thing and assemble it.  There's a charm to it.

• Like 1

This was my first Lego set on my 4th birthday and it has always been my favorite....still keep it assembled on a shelf in my game room in 2020

spacer.png

spacer.png

I gave it a few extra flags and another little tree in the opposite corner and have a sealed Treasure Cart and two sealed base plates to go with it

spacer.png

• Like 3

When I had joined NintendoAge in 2013 I had basically just finished going through my massive suitcases full of my old Legos and pieces together most of my old sets 100%
I still have all of these and liked them all a lot. Definitely was a big part of my childhood!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Slight diversion in this topic.  When you give kids lego at a young age, the #1 rule you have to instill them is to not eat them.  That's an easy one.

Rule #2 is to neeeeeever bite the lego to get them to come apart.  Yes, I'm aware of the separator tool, but there's something about 4-6 year olds when they start using lego.  If two pieces seem glued together, the teeth seem to be the universal solution.

Anyone else had to replace pieces for sets because of munchkin chompers?  I've not replaced any parts yet, but my son has some cars and my daughter has an Elsa castle.  Both of which have a few pieces that were slightly-gnawed on. 🙄

12 hours ago, trj22487 said:

When I had joined NintendoAge in 2013 I had basically just finished going through my massive suitcases full of my old Legos and pieces together most of my old sets 100%
I still have all of these and liked them all a lot. Definitely was a big part of my childhood!

spacer.png

Looks like you got into castle about a generation of sets behind my hey-day.

I wanted that mountain castle set SO BAD, but since I already had the Black Knight's Castle and the original big grey crusader's castle, I got a firm "no".

My little brother must have picked up that dragon knight cave set (in the middle of your pic) late in its life cycle since he was 9 years younger than me.

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Looks like you got into castle about a generation of sets behind my hey-day.

I wanted that mountain castle set SO BAD, but since I already had the Black Knight's Castle and the original big grey crusader's castle, I got a firm "no".

My little brother must have picked up that dragon knight cave set (in the middle of your pic) late in its life cycle since he was 9 years younger than me.

Yeah after the King's Fortress the next thing my parents let me get was the Wolfpack Tower (hard to spot but its in that pic toward the top) but definitely 1993-97 was the real era where my parents started letting me get just about everything but the major sets. I never had Fort Legorado or the massive 1995 castle.
But I was definitely super into the Dragon Masters, Kahuna, Aquanauts, Royal King, Wild West

I do have a this one CIB as well, not sure why it didn't make the picture above. It was the final Lego castle I ever received, Christmas 1997. After that I stopped asking for them.

spacer.png

Edited by trj22487
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trj22487 said:

Yeah after the King's Fortress the next thing my parents let me get was the Wolfpack Tower (hard to spot but its in that pic toward the top) but definitely 1993-97 was the real era where my parents started letting me get just about everything but the major sets. I never had Fort Legorado or the massive 1995 castle.
But I was definitely super into the Dragon Masters, Kahuna, Aquanauts, Royal King, Wild West

Yeah, my little brother had tons of Kahuna, Aquanauts, Royal King, and the Adventurer sets.  (also had something about rock monsters?)

The last serious run of sets I had, after Black Knights, was pretty much the full run of Forest Men (missing one of their sets, I think, but have the river fort AND the larger lake fort).

I had a few one-offs like a Wolfpack treasure wagon, but none of their forts.

I originally got into the castle sets when you still got the little trashcan lid shields, and it was a big deal to have a screen printed black falcon or crusader shield come in the smaller sets and not just with the big castles 😛

24 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This is the first LEGO set I ever played with.  

6080 King's Castle

And these are probably my two favorite castle sets

6086 Black Knight's Castle

6086 Black Knight's Castle.jpg

Yeah, I had King's Castle as my first big LEGO set.

But I had the original iteration of Black Knight's castle. (i.e. same build-style as King's Castle, but SLIGHTLY bigger/fancier in the detail work due to more elaborate pieces starting to be available).

Never had any of the vacuum formed base plates.

Spent a full week this summer at my mom's house rebuilding all of my old castle sets with the kids and successfully getting the bricks sorted out from the buckets and buckets of LEGO bricks that had been under my younger brother's bed for the last 15 years after he had stopped actively playing with them.

EDIT: Not great pics, but here is what we worked on:

IMG_20200628_091059696.jpg

IMG_20200628_091128015.jpg

IMG_20200628_091109575.jpg

Edited by arch_8ngel

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, I had King's Castle as my first big LEGO set.

But I had the original iteration of Black Knight's castle. (i.e. same build-style as King's Castle, but SLIGHTLY bigger/fancier in the detail work due to more elaborate pieces starting to be available).

Never had any of the vacuum formed base plates.

Spent a full week this summer at my mom's house rebuilding all of my old castle sets with the kids and successfully getting the bricks sorted out from the buckets and buckets of LEGO bricks that had been under my younger brother's bed for the last 15 years after he had stopped actively playing with them.

Your post got me to thinking, and I realized I was wrong about my first set because I remembered it having this one single yellow window.  I remember as a kid thinking that yellow window piece was really cool.  So I got to looking again and realized this was my first Lego set.  I think what thew me off besides the grey castle pieces was the fact that both sets had hinges on the walls allowing you to open it up from the back and make it a long wall instead of an encircled castle.  

THIS was my first ever LEGO set.  

6074 Black Falcon's Fortress

6074 Black Falcon's Fortress.jpg

37 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Your post got me to thinking, and I realized I was wrong about my first set because I remembered it having this one single yellow window.  I remember as a kid thinking that yellow window piece was really cool.  So I got to looking again and realized this was my first Lego set.  I think what thew me off besides the grey castle pieces was the fact that both sets had hinges on the walls allowing you to open it up from the back and make it a long wall instead of an encircled castle.  

THIS was my first ever LEGO set.  

6074 Black Falcon's Fortress

6074 Black Falcon's Fortress.jpg

That was one I definitely wanted and never had (along with the couple other sets with Tudored wall panels).

I only had two sets that came with Black Falcon shields (a sort of hedge knight set that complements the jousting set, and one of the little boats).

My set that came with the black falcon tunics was the catapult where the guys have trashcan shields. 

10 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This was the first pirate set I ever played with.  I enjoyed this one a lot too.

6270 Forbidden Island

Have you been tempted by the fancy pirate ship/island re-release?

It is on back order right now, but I'm feeling like it might be on the list of sets I'll regret passing up...

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Have you been tempted by the fancy pirate ship/island re-release?

Haven't followed LEGO stuff in years, so no idea what you are talking about.  Link?

While I haven't followed LEGOs in years and I don't really have any desire to buy up the sets I used to own, I will say that my son is starting to get into LEGOs, so I'm a little excited to have an excuse to buy some sets, even if they are a under a theme that I'm not really interested in.  

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

Space. Monorail.

While I was never into the Space Theme, I do remember that one and thought it looked pretty cool.  

I'm pretty sure I only had once single Space Themed LEGO set, and it was a small one.  Some kind of snowmobile for the Ice Set.  Since I didn't have enough Space LEGOs to actually play with, I used to pretend that they guy was sent back in time and ended up in either the Pirate Theme or Castle Theme.  That was how I justified putting the sets together.  

EDIT:  It was 6834 Celestial Sled.  That guy ended up fighting a lot of pirates.  😛

Edited by TDIRunner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Haven't followed LEGO stuff in years, so no idea what you are talking about.  Link?

While I haven't followed LEGOs in years and I don't really have any desire to buy up the sets I used to own, I will say that my son is starting to get into LEGOs, so I'm a little excited to have an excuse to buy some sets, even if they are a under a theme that I'm not really interested in.  

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/pirates-of-barracuda-bay-21322

Not cheap, though on a per-part basis it is a way bigger set than any of the classics.

Personally, I got back into it when they did the Back to the Future Delorean, and also picked up the Exo Suit that same year.

Only other "for me" sets I've bought are the Saturn V and Voltron.

But I try to keep an eye on stuff like Barracuda Bay, since they have some really neat "brick-built" features that used to be simpler monolithic parts (and frankly, they all hold their value well enough that they are easy to flip if you decide you don't want to keep it :P)

And I'd be lying if I didn't say that part of my renewed interest has come with picking up a bunch of the Elves sets for my daughter on deep clearance price a couple years ago when they discontinued the series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/pirates-of-barracuda-bay-21322

Not cheap, though on a per-part basis it is a way bigger set than any of the classics.

Holy sh!t that's amazing.  The price actually seems reasonable for what I'm seeing.  Since I am way outside the loop when it comes to LEGO stuff, I have no idea how easy or difficult this stuff is to get, but I might look into some of it for Christmas for my son.  Although, I'm guessing he won't have much interest in basic pirate stuff the way I did.  I'm sure he would be much more interested in the modern themes that are out now.  

• Like 1