IGNORED

What is your favorite LEGO set? (You don't have to own it)

RH

9 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Holy sh!t that's amazing.  The price actually seems reasonable for what I'm seeing.  Since I am way outside the loop when it comes to LEGO stuff, I have no idea how easy or difficult this stuff is to get, but I might look into some of it for Christmas for my son.  Although, I'm guessing he won't have much interest in basic pirate stuff the way I did.  I'm sure he would be much more interested in the modern themes that are out now.  

Yeah, it's actually a really competitive price-per-part. 

Non-licensed sets, the benchmark for "fair pricing" is usually $0.10/brick (though a lot of the sets nowadays bloat the part count with tiny accent pieces).

This one is back-ordered on the LEGO site, but it's a site-exclusive, and they claim they're fulfilling back-orders within 60 days.

Treat yourself and then build it with him!  The practical worst case is he pleads with you to just let him play with it once it's all built 😛 and you don't risk him feeling like he blew his "big gift" on something he didn't ask for 😉  (and true worst case is once they are discontinued a complete open-box version will still get your money back with no problem)

Edited by arch_8ngel

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Yeah, it's actually a really competitive price-per-part. 

Non-licensed sets, the benchmark for "fair pricing" is usually $0.10/brick (though a lot of the sets nowadays bloat the part count with tiny accent pieces).

This one is back-ordered on the LEGO site, but it's a site-exclusive, and they claim they're fulfilling back-orders within 60 days.

Treat yourself and then build it with him!  The practical worst case is he pleads with you to just let him play with it once it's all built 😛 and you don't risk him feeling like he blew his "big gift" on something he didn't ask for 😉

I'm having trouble telling from the pictures, but does it convert from the base back to regular ship with only minor alterations, or is that two completely separate builds?

Just now, TDIRunner said:

I'm having trouble telling from the pictures, but does it convert from the base back to regular ship with only minor alterations, or is that two completely separate builds?

I can't really tell, and I haven't read any of the reviews to know for sure.

Either way, the standard nowadays is for alternate builds to have full instructions, at least (vs the old days where you were guessing from the box).

BTW - the "pop up book" is also a really cool set.  Got that one for my wife when it was on sale awhile back.

Just now, arch_8ngel said:

I can't really tell, and I haven't read any of the reviews to know for sure.

Either way, the standard nowadays is for alternate builds to have full instructions, at least (vs the old days where you were guessing from the box).

BTW - the "pop up book" is also a really cool set.  Got that one for my wife when it was on sale awhile back.

That was one thing that drove me nuts as a kid.  Maybe it was because I was too young, but I could never figure out the alternate pictures on the back of the box.  At the time, I was pretty sure some weren't possible due to additional pieces that didn't come with the kit.  Having instructions for alternate sets is an amazing update for modern kits.

But as far as the pirate set goes, it really looks to me like you can convert between the ship and the pirate base with only minor alterations.  I know the ship separates into 3 pieces easily from the pictures.  Then they show arrows from the ship to the empty base.  But there still must be some alterations because of the plants hanging off the pirate base, and the steering wheel appears to be in a different spot compared to the ship.  

Still though, I'm super tempted to get something like that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I have this set and can confirm it can easily convert to the ship. The instructions continue on with the conversion steps.

This set is amazing and one of my favourite builds. It’s really big though, so you will need some shelf space if you’re going to display it. The box is also huge but really takes you back to those pirate days.

The ppp is also good value because there aren’t heaps of little pieces bloating the count. 

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Damn.  Lots of nostalgia feels in this thread.  I'm pretty much Benny from the Lego Movie.  Loved the space Legos as a kid.  This is my favorite set that I had.

JUgaHJc.jpg

Still have the instructions but I've given my entire collection to my kid.  Might see if I can piece it together. 

• Like 1

I didn't want to start another LEGO thread so I thought I'd post this here. Got an email today about this new release: https://www.lego.com/en-au/product/grand-piano-21323

Looks cool but with the NES coming out I don't think I'll be picking this up any time soon. Might wait for a discount if this is also released to retail.

Edited by Shmup