IGNORED

Anyone got advice for a good HDMI switcher?

OptOut

I've maxed out the HDMI ports on my TV, and I'm not even close to done on the whole HDMI upgrade train for my system set ups...

Anyone got any advice for a good HDMI switcher box that works well, doesn't fuck up, and doesn't add any lag or whatever?

Just wondering what some of you guys are running which might work for my set-up?

I used a blackbird switcher from Monoprice for a while.  It worked well enough.  Sometimes my TV would see the input as available then not.  I believe it was an issue with auto-switching on the switcher.

If I were to hook up that much stuff again I would just buy an A/V receiver with enough ports.

5 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I used a blackbird switcher from Monoprice for a while.  It worked well enough.  Sometimes my TV would see the input as available then not.  I believe it was an issue with auto-switching on the switcher.

If I were to hook up that much stuff again I would just buy an A/V receiver with enough ports.

Yeah that thing you're talking about the inputs spazzing out is something I'd rather not have to deal with. I think I'd be more comfortable with something that has like buttons on it?

I'm planning on plugging in stuff like an OG XBOX with the Pound cable, UltraHDMI N64, perhaps a 360, a switch, and hopefully a Super NT when they come back into stock.

I'm thinking something with maybe 4 inputs would be good? And, of course, no lag.

33 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Yeah that thing you're talking about the inputs spazzing out is something I'd rather not have to deal with. I think I'd be more comfortable with something that has like buttons on it?

I'm planning on plugging in stuff like an OG XBOX with the Pound cable, UltraHDMI N64, perhaps a 360, a switch, and hopefully a Super NT when they come back into stock.

I'm thinking something with maybe 4 inputs would be good? And, of course, no lag.

It does have manual modes as well.  I turned off the automatic mode really fast.  Didn't notice any lag myself.  My Life In Gaming recommended it in a video.  They too moved on to receivers if I recall correctly.

9 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

It does have manual modes as well.  I turned off the automatic mode really fast.  Didn't notice any lag myself.  My Life In Gaming recommended it in a video.  They too moved on to receivers if I recall correctly.

Hmm, so what's the deal with a receiver then? Is that like a more powerful box or something?

29 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I've used this one for a couple years with no issues:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VX1PKQ7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plays my  Xbox One, 360, and WiiU perfectly.

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know if it would have trouble passing through a 480p image from an OG XBOX with the Pound cable?

I've had good luck with my Psyclone HDMI switcher, but I can only suggest it for HDMI systems prior to HDR.  I can't confirm that it's compatible with HDR on more modern systems, but I would assume that it isn't compatible.  I currently use mine for Wii U, Xbox 360, OUYA and Neo Geo X.  

41 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Hmm, so what's the deal with a receiver then? Is that like a more powerful box or something?

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you know if it would have trouble passing through a 480p image from an OG XBOX with the Pound cable?

It's a home theater receiver. They accept a bunch of inputs and have one or two outputs.  Also you can wire up speakers etc if needed.  @Chuppa
Uses a receiver in his setup. He might be able to chime in with his experience.  From my experience and talking with others the cost more but seem to just work.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06VX1PKQ7/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same one. It's basic and bare bones but it gets the job done. 

I use this Yamaha receiver now. It uses Ethernet cable to connect your home WiFi and you can control it over the app for on your phone. I haven't had any issues with it for over a year now. I played XB1, Switch, Wii U, mini/classic consoles, even my HDMI N64. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174220659489

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

1 hour ago, zeppelin03 said:

It's a home theater receiver. They accept a bunch of inputs and have one or two outputs.  Also you can wire up speakers etc if needed.  @Chuppa
Uses a receiver in his setup. He might be able to chime in with his experience.  From my experience and talking with others the cost more but seem to just work.

I have had really good luck with my receiver.  When I bought it it was expensive but I am sure it is much cheaper now with 4k coming out.  There are probably different brands that offer input labeling/naming but I have just memorized what is on each input.

I have a Pioneer VSX-42.  The back looks like this.

Pioneer Elite VSX-42 A/V Receiver | Sound & Vision

So, basically, I have my switch plugged into 'game' and I just hit 'game' input to play.  Blu ray player hooked into 'BD'.  Nes/SNES classic hooked into the others and I think I also have a roku.  6 hdmi inputs was enough for me.  The other good thing is that my surround sound and sub is hooked into the speaker ports for the audio.  The other good thing is you just have one hdmi cord from your tv to your receiver.  So the input on your tv never changes.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
2 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I kind of wish I got something like that.  I have this one, which auto-switches the active port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CRWBPN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which is great when it works, but every so often it doesn't switch to the correct device. It does have a remote as well.  However I can't keep a device plugged in that is always powered on, like a capture device, because the switcher will always display that. 

I'd definitely recommend adding a receiver to your media setup. I use the Denon AVRS730H 7.2 Channel AV Receiver which has 4K HDR passthrough and 5 HDMI inputs. Then you can slowly (or quickly) add surround sound as well.

I'm sure there are some high quality switches out there, but if you're paying over $100, you might as well start looking at receivers as well.

6 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I have this one, which auto-switches the active port.

I had one of those and had the same problem. It was ok but never really good enough. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

if you're paying over $100, you might as well start looking at receivers as well.

I came to the same conclusion in the end. Why not only have 1 cord going to the tv, a remote that controls all volume and input and a way to put to use some Bose satellite speakers I had for a couple years laying around.