IGNORED

Super Famicom Appreciation Thread

As far as I can tell this hasn't been posted here yet 🙂 - but what are some of your favorite Super Famicom exclusives that didn't make it to the US, or that you felt the import version was better than the US version?

Some of mine are (and rather commonly known):

• Undercover Cops
  • The Firemen
  • Parodius series
  • Super Fire Pro Wrestling X Premium (blew my mind playing this in the late 90s/early 2000s)
  • Sanrio World Smash Ball
  • Do Re Mi Fantasy
  • MajyĹ«ĹŤ: King of Demons
  • Sengoku Denshou

This is my favorite area to collect these days although NES is my biggest collection.  Something about the look of the Super Famicom carts I preferred over how they were styled in the US... plus the artwork was usually cooler as well.

Edited by littlesamson

Super Famicom Wars - since it wasn't a typical release in Japan it was somewhat  hard to find.  It introduced a neat unit called a rail gun - which unfortunately wasn't implemented as well as it could have been.  No knowledge of Japanese needed if you had played the Advance Wars games.   It recently got a reproduced version.    

1 minute ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

Super Famicom Wars - since it wasn't a typical release in Japan it was somewhat  hard to find.  It introduced a neat unit called a rail gun - which unfortunately wasn't implemented as well as it could have been.  No knowledge of Japanese needed if you had played the Advance Wars games.   It recently got a reproduced version.    

Neat to know.  I'll have to check it out!

One I have to get back to is Power Soukoban - it is an enhancement on the usual push boxes around in the warehouse (which I actually enjoy - my favorite type of puzzle game) mode of Sokoban games in that it has some RPGish elements and onscreen enemies and allies to interact with. It also has pretty nice screens compared to the usual style  I have a copy with box and manual that I bought cheap awhile ago - I was surprised by looking on ebay just now how expensive they have gotten.  (My favorite English title is the Genesis version named "Shove It!" - take that you lying dog faced pony soldier!)

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

One I have to get back to is Power Soukoban - it is an enhancement on the usual push boxes around in the warehouse (which I actually enjoy - my favorite type of puzzle game) mode of Sokoban games in that it has some RPGish elements and onscreen enemies and allies to interact with. It also has pretty nice screens compared to the usual style  I have a copy with box and manual that I bought cheap awhile ago - I was surprised by looking on ebay just now how expensive they have gotten.  (My favorite English title is the Genesis version named "Shove It!" - take that you dog faced pony soldier!)

Power Soukoban is a really fun game, excellent choice.  There is also the more "vanilla" Super Sokoban.

My favorite Super Famicom puzzler is Little Magic.  It's a single screen puzzle game where you blow bubbles around.  It's not really like Adventures of Lolo but it has that same vibe.

Umihara Kawase is really fun, cute, and tough as nails.

15-25 years ago I had a couple dozen or two SFC games.  Just naming a few totally worth trying out I'd go with.

Parodius franchise and the Popn/Twinbee (+rainbow bell adventure platformer game) from Konami.

Sailor Moon and R brawlers, then the S and Super S SF2 clones are great as is the Another Story RPG.

Goemon #2, Zenki, SDF Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Appleseed, Iria, Super Dodgeball (forget exact Kunio name of it), DBZ Super Butoden 2, Final Fantasy V, Super Bomberman 3-5, Gundam Wing, Mickey & Donald (trilogy of Magical Quest), Kirby's Star Stacker(we got the GB release, SNES was canceled), Lupin the 3rd, Ranma 1/2 Chougi Ranbuhen(sequel to USA Hard Battle but with proper SF2 control), and Super VG

Return of Double Dragon is better in JAP than US the enemies dodge and block attacks. It also has some enemy placement and lvl design differences that may or may not be better but duration wise, it has more gameplay.

Gon is good. It's one of those puzzle solving adventure games you know kinda lika Ecco the Dolphin you solve obstacles and progress.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

15-25 years ago I had a couple dozen or two SFC games.  Just naming a few totally worth trying out I'd go with.

Parodius franchise and the Popn/Twinbee (+rainbow bell adventure platformer game) from Konami.

Sailor Moon and R brawlers, then the S and Super S SF2 clones are great as is the Another Story RPG.

Goemon #2, Zenki, SDF Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, Appleseed, Iria, Super Dodgeball (forget exact Kunio name of it), DBZ Super Butoden 2, Final Fantasy V, Super Bomberman 3-5, Gundam Wing, Mickey & Donald (trilogy of Magical Quest), Kirby's Star Stacker(we got the GB release, SNES was canceled), Lupin the 3rd, Ranma 1/2 Chougi Ranbuhen(sequel to USA Hard Battle but with proper SF2 control), and Super VG

Lots of great choices here as well.  Goemon #2, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, and Mickey & Donald are a couple of ones I enjoy from my collection as well.    Nice to see someone tout Goemon #2... normally #4 gets all the praise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, littlesamson said:

Lots of great choices here as well.  Goemon #2, Macross Scrambled Valkyrie, and Mickey & Donald are a couple of ones I enjoy from my collection as well.    Nice to see someone tout Goemon #2... normally #4 gets all the praise.

I hadn't noticed, maybe a more recent years thing.  I lost all those fine games around 2005-ish due to hard times, so it's enough that I can even remember most of what I had.  There are others, something about Metal Jack  I remember having that being good.  I probably could dig up a software list on the wiki and sort by Japan and get the rest.  I do miss the stuff, just not enough to stomach buying it again given paper now prints gold and all my stuff was beautifully lined up in all those so colorful boxes.