IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

Just now, Silent Hill said:

I see the point you're trying to get across, but did you ask them why they even asked that question? Did they just assume it was an "all-white" bar? Do those even exist?

To see the other side, how would you feel walking into a predominately black club or bar? I'm sure you'd feel the same way and you may not be so lucky to receive as warm as a welcome that you gave those fellas.  

They sat next to me and they did explain why they asked. I guess certain parts of northern Kentucky do have a reputation of not being the most welcoming even though downtown Cincinnati is 20 minutes away. I've been to "black" establishments and I may have felt a bit out of place, but not intimidated to the point of asking if it was okay for me to be there.

• Like 1

Just now, Kguillemette said:

2 big deal rulings out of the supreme court in a single week! This ruling surprises me more than the previous one, as what was at stake here was more the legality of Trump ending DACA rather than the morality of it. In the end, it appears that Roberts does not believe that Trump has executive authority here, although despite being largely conservative, he has had a tendency to favor executive restraint.

Well, what's done is done. Any change to DACA needs to be done through congress, which straight isn't going to happen with a democratic majority in the HOR.

I wonder if Chief Justice Roberts (who IIRC was only the third SCOTUS appointment to be officially UNendorsed by the ACLU, if you get what I mean) feels morally/legally obligated as Chief Justice to try to be more centrist-ish than he might be as a regular associate justice?  Weren't the previous three before him, all appointed by R's, like that as well?  Rehnquist, Burger (mmmm, burger...), Warren?

14 minutes ago, Estil said:

I wonder if Chief Justice Roberts (who IIRC was only the third SCOTUS appointment to be officially UNendorsed by the ACLU, if you get what I mean) feels morally/legally obligated as Chief Justice to try to be more centrist-ish than he might be as a regular associate justice?  Weren't the previous three before him, all appointed by R's, like that as well?  Rehnquist, Burger (mmmm, burger...), Warren?

I think it stems from Roberts wanting to keep the court independent, rather than beholden to any political party. He's been a swing voter, and I think he votes his conscience more than anything else.

I wouldn't call Warren centrist. He was appointed by Eisenhower, who was a Republican, but had liberal leanings (he'd be called a Democrat today), and Warren shared many of the same leanings. Keep in mind back then both parties had liberal and conservative wings. Burger was centrist on some things, but he presided over a very liberal court. Rehnquist was as conservative as they came.

Edited by Tulpa

8 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They sat next to me and they did explain why they asked. I guess certain parts of northern Kentucky do have a reputation of not being the most welcoming even though downtown Cincinnati is 20 minutes away. I've been to "black" establishments and I may have felt a bit out of place, but not intimidated to the point of asking if it was okay for me to be there.

Fair enough. Is it safe to assume all black people would feel that way going into that bar and all while people wouldn't feel intimidated to the same degree going into a predominately black establishment?

I get the anecdotal evidence here, but I don't like to paint with a broad brush. I'm just trying to say it's a potential, for all races, and isn't exclusive to black people. 

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I see the point you're trying to get across, but did you ask them why they even asked that question? Did they just assume it was an "all-white" bar? Do those even exist?

To see the other side, how would you feel walking into a predominately black club or bar? I'm sure you'd feel the same way and you may not be so lucky to receive as warm as a welcome that you gave those fellas.  

Well.....yes, actually.   Not to give you culture shock or anything, but it looks like you're thinking of most bars being similar to the ones you've been to and I'm here to tell you that's not the case with all of them.

Just now, Silent Hill said:

Fair enough. Is it safe to assume all black people would feel that way going into that bar and all while people wouldn't feel intimidated to the same degree going into a predominately black establishment?

I get the anecdotal evidence here, but I don't like to paint with a broad brush. I'm just trying to say it's a potential, for all races, and isn't exclusive to black people. 

I see your point, but my level of intimidation has to do more with the place itself than the people. I would feel more on edge at a small town country bar only frequented by white locals over a working class "black" establishment.

3 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Well.....yes, actually.   Not to give you culture shock or anything, but it looks like you're thinking of most bars being similar to the ones you've been to and I'm here to tell you that's not the case with all of them.

You don't even have to go far. If you get about a half hour or more east of Cincy, the bars aren't "all white", just heavily implied.

17 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I don't think it stems from Roberts wanting to keep the court independent, rather than beholden to any political party. He's been a swing voter, and I think he votes his conscience more than anything else.

I wouldn't call Warren centrist. He was appointed by Eisenhower, who was a Republican, but had liberal leanings (he'd be called a Democrat today), and Warren shared many of the same leanings. Keep in mind back then both parties had liberal and conservative wings. Burger was centrist on some things, but he presided over a very liberal court. Rehnquist was as conservative as they came.

Yeah I thought that about Rehnquist maybe but remember he started out as a regular associate justice for several years.  And remember I only said Roberts as an individual felt obligated to be centrist-ish...I mean he can't exactly make the other eight vote in any which way.  Ike was originally in fact courted by both parties until he later "came out" as a Republican.  And I'm pretty sure both parties have had liberal/centrist/conservative groupings for all of their history, though of course what constituties liberal vs conservative has most definetly changed over the years.  Modern American liberalism and conservatism as we know it today didn't really start until the mid-to-late 60s (Humphrey/McGovern and Goldwater respectively).  Though Pence unlike the populist Trump is most definitely the classic Reagan conservative type though I don't recall Reagan being all that openly religious.  The only other guy in recent memory I can think of as a without a doubt classic Reagan type as far as Presidential contenders go is Fred Thompson...he seemed like a really good guy but I don't think when he ran for the R's nomination he got all that far.

As for Burger (mmmm...burger...) presiding over a "very liberal court", ironically I'd dare say Nixon/Ford may have in fact been more "liberal" (as far as we know the term today) than JFK/LBJ (I don't get why Alex Keaton of Family Ties liked Nixon so much; if he knew what Nixon's real overall ideology was I think he'd be quite disappointed).  Especially in terms of foreign policy/national defense.  You know how I'm something of a history buff and like to read those World Book/Britannica yearbooks?  It's no accident I started with 1961 on both and I'm currently doing the 1976 Britannica...my favorite kind of history has always been US history from 60s-90s and even more so local history of my own city/county, as naturally that can be much harder to come by!

Edited by Estil

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

You don't even have to go far. If you get about a half hour or more east of Cincy, the bars aren't "all white", just heavily implied.

Aaron's in Columbus though.   Not sure if he's ever dealt with the bar scene in smaller towns or not (and being honest, Columbus is vastly different from anywhere else in the state of Ohio).

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Aaron's in Columbus though.   Not sure if he's ever dealt with the bar scene in smaller towns or not (and being honest, Columbus is vastly different from anywhere else in the state of Ohio).

I've only been to Columbus once for the King of the Ring ppv in 2002. I visited a few establishments around Nationwide Arena, but a lot of the people were from out of town and there for the pay per view.

Just now, 42 foot tapeworm said:

ya

i been there twice i think...i was 10 or 12.

No, I was just there for the ppv and out. If you want to feel uncomfortable, wear Bearcats gear in Buckeye country.

Just now, captmorgandrinker said:

Nope.   In the couple years I lived down there I only ventured downtown a handful of times and it was for either bars or Reds games.

Did you go the Reds Hall of Fame? I was really impressed with it.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 42 foot tapeworm said:

i might have to make a stop just for you and get a pic with one of the girls with me and my tiara

I can see the headline. Florida man arrested for wearing tiara and sunglasses into Hooters while trying to teach the girls how to pronounce "Gradius" correctly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bolton-fox-news-obtains-excerpts

Trump also apparently was unaware that Britain is a nuclear power and asked whether Finland is part of Russia, according to Bolton

He'll probably get reelected.  Nothing matters anymore.

Because the alternative being presented so far (and I don't mean just Biden himself) is far worse.

In other news Speaker Nancy the Ripper is wanting to remove portraits of four Speakers of the House who "served in the Confederacy".  Listen, taking down stand alone statues that honor/commemorate one individual is one thing (provided it's done the right way with voting/petitions and such; none of this vandalism garbage) but if we're talking about removing Speakers' portraits from what I'm presuming is a complete sequential timeline of all the Speakers in history, that really is taking it too far.