IGNORED

Terminator Dark Fate

phart010

I was born in the 80’s, so Terminator 2 was a big deal growing up. By the time I was in college, Terminator 3 came out but it wasn’t done by James Cameron, and the movie just was not that good. I felt like Terminator was just ruined from that point on.

Just saw Terminator Dark Fate last night. I had my reservations, because I felt that this one might be excessively ‘woke’ but I figured I should at least give it a try since Cameron was involved. I have to say that this movie was pretty good. Given that the lead roles are all females, in what was traditionally a machismo franchise, I had to ponder about this over night. The reality of the world we are living in today is an increasingly female empowered one, so as a reflection of reality in the current world situation and even into the future, this concept is actually quite appropriately realistic.

Anyhow, I just wanted to reflect on the movie and have some discussion. I thought the movie was pretty good. I know some people these days are not interested in seeing it based on the cover, but in my opinion it is a worthy sequel to Terminator 2. Moreso than Terminator 3 was.

More on that. It’s funny how Cameron just took ownership of the series and said Terminator 3 never happened because it wasn’t his movie. This movie takes place directly following the events of Terminator 2 and disregards Terminator 3’s plot significance entirely. I like that. I wish that game developers would do this sometimes and just ditch plot lines that they screwed up on and pretend that they never happened. Personally I wasn’t a fan of Metroid Fusions storyline (I liked the game) and I feel that Nintendo should just pretend like Samus never got infected with the X virus.

Edited by phart010

I'll preface this by saying Terminator 2 is one of my favorite films of ALL TIME and on the right day in the right mood I might even claim it's the best movie ever made, haha.

That said, I said Terminator: Dark Fate in theaters when it came out. Overall, I enjoyed it. I agree with your sentiment about the female leads in the film and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the film at all. The story left a LITTLE to be desired, but I also didn't have super high expectations. I thought the actions scenes were awesome and really well done. Some of the dialogue was cheesy, but so was some of the dialogue in 1 & 2. 

Spoiler

The John Connor bit at the beginning didn't bother me. I actually thought it was cool and also it's pretty ballsy to do. And it solves the problem of constantly having someone else play John.

I personally loved all the Arnold stuff. It mostly brought much needed levity to the film and was quite enjoyable for me. 

Sure it doesn't touch 1 or 2 but it's miles ahead of the others. 

51 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Hide contents

The John Connor bit at the beginning didn't bother me. I actually thought it was cool and also it's pretty ballsy to do. And it solves the problem of constantly having someone else play John.

I personally loved all the Arnold stuff. It mostly brought much needed levity to the film and was quite enjoyable for me. 

—————————-

I feel the John Connor part was Cameron’s way of saying FU to Terminator 3. It introduced an immediate plot line conflict between Terminator 3 and Dark Fate and challenges you to question which storyline is canon. They can’t coexist. So I have to pick one or the other. And I’m obviously going to pick the storyline that Cameron wrote

Terminator ended with part 2.  Everything after that (without Cameron) was studio budget fanfiction trash, similar to Disney Star Wars.  Yes, Cameron did have his name attached to this mess, but if you read any of the interviews, he really didn't have much to do with it.  He never even went to the set to see what they were doing and described his approach to producing as "hands off" lol.  If you know anything about Cameron, he is definitely not a "hands off" person when it comes to his movies, he is known to be a hard ass and basically pisses everyone off he works with in order to get what he wants.

TLDR: James Cameron had basically nothing to do with this movie other than pimping his name out to advertise it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, peg said:

Terminator ended with part 2.  Everything after that (without Cameron) was studio budget fanfiction trash, similar to Disney Star Wars.  Yes, Cameron did have his name attached to this mess, but if you read any of the interviews, he really didn't have much to do with it.  He never even went to the set to see what they were doing and described his approach to producing as "hands off" lol.  If you know anything about Cameron, he is definitely not a "hands off" person when it comes to his movies, he is known to be a hard ass and basically pisses everyone off he works with in order to get what he wants.

TLDR: James Cameron had basically nothing to do with this movie other than pimping his name out to advertise it.

What are you talking about. He wrote the story

This is like saying Harry Potter movies are not JK Rowling movies because she wasn’t involved in the adaptation. Or Stephen King movies are not Stephen King movies because he’s just a writer.

Cameron wrote the story for this movie and owned it. He probably can’t handle the stress of directing anymore because he’s old.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

It's funny because while I consider Terminator 2 to be one of the greatest movies of all time, it's really the only one I've ever enjoyed.  I want to see the new one, but I have a hard time believing that it will be anything near 2.

It’s in redbox now, go check it out and discuss here

I enjoyed it.  The new Terminator is like a two in one so it is double trouble so they gather up like a super group of Terminator killers to stop it.  Great to see Linda Hamilton back.

Is it on par with the original Terminator or Judgement Day?  No, but it's better than Rise of the Machines, Salvation, or Genesys.

4 hours ago, Startyde said:

They retold a story that's already been told, but worse. It added absolutely nothing and came off a cynical mess. Whoever said Terminator ended with 2 is largely correct. I give Salvation props for at least trying to be different. 

I agree.

I had some hope that the story would actually be good it's just a recycled mess.

What did we get from Dark Fraud?  A washed up Arnold and Linda Hamilton looking confused and bored, and a complete bastardization of John Connor's story.  Rise of the Machines and Salvation are at least watchable, albeit not great, but they didn't shit all over John Connor like this dung heap.  And at least with Salvation we got that legendary rant from Christian Bale, that's more than can be said for the last 2 dumpster fires.

Rise of the Machines $hit all over Sarah Conner, you know the lead of the first two movies.  Nick Stahl was a big ball of nothing as John Conner and Arnold is a new level of cringe.  Maybe it falls into that so bad it's good territory,  but it is still a whack follow-up to Judgement Day.

Salvation was just straight bad.  There was a reason we only saw glimpses of the future war in flashback.

9 hours ago, fox said:

The Sarah Conner Chronicles gets unfairly overlooked

Yesterday, I didn't even think about that show, but this morning it poped into my head, and I came back there to see if anyone had mentioned it yet.  It wasn't a great show, but it was better than most of the movies.  

16 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yesterday, I didn't even think about that show, but this morning it poped into my head, and I came back there to see if anyone had mentioned it yet.  It wasn't a great show, but it was better than most of the movies.  

I thought the show was awesome. And it was kind of the sequel to T1/T2 chronology at the time.

2 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

How many times are they going to make and remake Terminator 3.  Might as well just remake the whole thing entirely at this point.

well, I mean, the whole thing is about time travel and alternate timelines. So in a way, it makes sense to keep rewriting the story. How successful each attempt is is obviously up to the viewer.

1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

I thought the show was awesome. And it was kind of the sequel to T1/T2 chronology at the time.

"At the time" being the key words.  The chronology is all jacked up at this point.  

I know that time travel allows for different timelines, but at this point, I vote for rebooting the Terminator franchise and just start over OR just leave it alone and we can all be thankful that T2 even exists in the first place.  

1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

well, I mean, the whole thing is about time travel and alternate timelines. So in a way, it makes sense to keep rewriting the story. How successful each attempt is is obviously up to the viewer.

Really, this is more like Groundhog Day than actual time travel. Like what's his face in that movie you stop giving any kind of damn after, like, the 4th time.

8 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I thought it was pretty good for a genre show on network tv.  Well acted, well written, and expands the story.

It had a limited budget, so they worked inward and focused tighter on characters and sci fi concepts rather than big dumb explosions.  Of course when it does come to action, there is some very nice practical effects and stunt work marred only by some not so great CG.

3 hours ago, fox said:

I thought it was pretty good for a genre show on network tv.  Well acted, well written, and expands the story.

It had a limited budget, so they worked inward and focused tighter on characters and sci fi concepts rather than big dumb explosions.  Of course when it does come to action, there is some very nice practical effects and stunt work marred only by some not so great CG.

Fun fact.  I was in an episode of The Sarah Conner Chronicles......

......well actually an actor with the same name as me (real name, spelling and all).  Not a big deal of course, but considering I have a less than common name, it's always fun to see it show up in the credits. 😛 

• Haha 1