IGNORED

VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest 2020 Suggestions Thread

guillavoie

14 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Ehhh smb2 us is quirky and has its own charm 
Smb2 Jp is difficult to The point of Not being enjoyable After a couple attempts. 

The main issue with SMB2 Japan is that it does very little to advance the series. It's like a ROM hack of the first one rather than a true sequel. SMB2 US might be a reskin of another game but it's a better sequel.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The main issue with SMB2 Japan is that it does very little to advance the series. It's like a ROM hack of the first one rather than a true sequel. SMB2 US might be a reskin of another game but it's a better sequel.

There were a lot of sequels that weren't far and away different from the originals. For example, I wouldn't say Mega Man 2 was a major change over MM1 other than being longer. They didn't introduce the slide ability and Rush until MM3. I never liked SMB 2 when I was a kid. They eventually used some of the enemies in future games, but it's still basically a hack of another game with Mario characters added. It's almost like Nintendo tried to make it non canon with the "it was all a dream" ending before they brought back the Koopas in SMB 3. It's probably not a popular opinion, but I consider the Japanese version to be the true sequel and the version we got was just thrown together for us because the original was deemed to be "too hard".

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

There were a lot of sequels that weren't far and away different from the originals. For example, I wouldn't say Mega Man 2 was a major change over MM1 other than being longer. They didn't introduce the slide ability and Rush until MM3. I never liked SMB 2 when I was a kid. Other than adding some of the enemies into future games from something that was basically a hack of another game with Mario characters added. It's almost like Nintendo tried to make it non canon with the "it was all a dream" ending before they brought back the Koopas in SMB 3. It's probably not a popular opinion, but I consider the Japanese version to be the true sequel and the version we got was just thrown together for us because the original was deemed to be "too hard".

MM2 is just a very well made sequel that appeals to a wider audience. The difficulty is lower and there's more polish to the graphics and music. It's probably still the most popular Mega Man game.

On the other hand, Super Mario Bros. 2 Japan appeals to a narrower audience than the easier going original SMB. It's way tougher and not much of an upgrade. Of course there are some who love the challenge, but I'd wager that it would have been perceived as a huge disappointment had it been released here. It's okay to prefer SMB2 Japan, but I think that Nintendo made the right choice.

And also, ironically, this: " Shigeru Miyamoto (...) was more involved with the development of Doki Doki Panic than he was in what eventually became the original Super Mario Bros. 2. "

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Yume_Kōjō:_Doki_Doki_Panic

Edited by mbd39

37 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

but I think that Nintendo made the right choice.

The right choice would have been to release both games. 🙂

But they did eventually do that, so it's alright. Though the All-Stars version of 2/lost levels feels a bit harder and less "fluid" than it should be due to some minor changes.

• Like 1

Just now, Sumez said:

The right choice would have been to release both games. 🙂

But they did eventually do that, so it's alright. Though the All-Stars version of 2/lost levels feels a bit harder and less "fluid" than it should be due to some minor changes.

I've thought that too. They could have released SMB2 Japan here as something like "Super Mario Bros. Challenge Edition" rather than as the true sequel.

I mean, they did release the US version in Japan called Super Mario USA.  I guess they could have done that here and called it Super Mario Japan. 😛

Lost levels was enough for me.  I'm happy to say that I've completed the JP version of SMB2 including world 9 and A through D, but I don't have much desire to ever do it again. 

Events Team · Posted

I want to thank everyone that have been participating in this thread, be sure that Bea and I are going to consider every single suggestion posted in preparing the 2020 schedule and other ends of the contest. And by all means, keep shooting any ideas you have, this discussion must be ongoing!