IGNORED

"Wind Waker has aged better than Twilight Princess."

Nintegageo

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I did the same thing there and other forums and that was always the go to to dismiss anyone who actually wasn't some arrogant Nintendo fanboy prick, they'd call you the fanboy first.  It got really tiresome at times, but people really just needed to grow up and get over it, it's not like Nintendo owed them anything or they were entitled to anything either but damn they acted like they were.

The aged well concept is just how as visuals age over time, some hold up better than others, so in a way you call it 'aged well.'  Take a look at 2600, Coleco, and NES graphics, all 8bit.  In general most would say that the NES has aged well, not the other two so much, definitely not the 2600.  If you look at the throwback art today, even in the modern stuff say like Axiom Verge on Switch, that's 8bit NES style, not 2600 large block mess.

The thing about those 2600 games you can't expect all of them to just be plug and play.  Because of the console's limitations they had to supplement the game cartridge with the manual, comic books (Sword Quest) and even an overlay for the console switches (Space Shuttle)!  Not to mention how someone was threatening Atari with a lawsuit for not working on bringing a chess game to the 2600 so Atari had to be creative about getting around the "only six sprites at a time on a scanline" limitation.

I mean, why do you think the Intellivision had to use those overlays?  In both cases just the console/cartridge itself didn't quite cut it as far as knowing how to play the game and what you're doing goes.  That's the price for having (on the 2600) only 4096 characters for the entire game program!

7 hours ago, Link said:

It would definitely make sense regarding the controls, but graphics-wise I’m not so sure it could work.

I'm a huge fan of Paper Mario, TTYD, and SPM, but I've never played Color Splash.  What about the graphics would prevent it from working on the 3DS?  I'm curious because they've done other ports of Wii U games over to 3DS such as Woolly World and Mario Maker.  

On 1/14/2020 at 6:06 AM, Estil said:

Like I mentioned before at the old NA place...I don't get the whole "aged well" thing.  It's the same game then as it was now right?  It just isn't fair to try to put it up against games now because well, how were they supposed to predict the future?

I don't think saying something hasn't aged well has anything to do with comparing to games today.  It's simply saying that something isn't as well though of today as it was back when it was new.

One example that fits in my mind would be the Gran Turismo games on the PS1.  When those games were new, they looked amazing.  But by today's standards, they look pretty awful.  However, that's not just because those games are older.  Some games from that same era still look good.  In my mind, the Crash Bandicoot games look just as good visually today as they did when they were new.  Even with the HD remasters of the Crash games, I can still go back and play the originals and think they look good.  Both games are approximately the same age, and both look amazing when they were new.  But Crash still looks good today and GT doesn't.  Therefore, in terms of visuals, GT hasn't aged as well as Crash in my eyes.  And that statement is true in my opinion regardless of what is available on the current systems for those same series. 

One thing I will concede is that unlike games like Crash where they're totally different adventures, with GT it's the same basic game but each time (especially each console) they beef up the graphics/sound/realism/etc (and GT's trademark is that they really do everything possible to get everyone out of the console in terms of graphics/realism).  The only thing that really changes is what kind of vehicles each installment offers and of course there will be some that are exclusive to one or more titles.  So in that sense I can see what you mean.  If you're used to more modern GT's there's not much reason to go back to the PS1 ones.

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm a huge fan of Paper Mario, TTYD, and SPM, but I've never played Color Splash.  What about the graphics would prevent it from working on the 3DS?  I'm curious because they've done other ports of Wii U games over to 3DS such as Woolly World and Mario Maker.  

Just the resolution. Seems like a bigger, more detailed picture than 400x280 can handle well. A lot of games look pretty jagged, although I haven’t seen Woolly World.

55 minutes ago, Link said:

Just the resolution. Seems like a bigger, more detailed picture than 400x280 can handle well. A lot of games look pretty jagged, although I haven’t seen Woolly World.

Of course it won't look as good on the 3DS, but that's true for any Wii U game ported over to the 3DS.  My point was simply that they may as well port as many games as they can to either the Switch or the 3DS.  With only 13 million Wii U console sales, that limits game sales no matter how good the game was, unless they can port it to a system that has sold in much higher numbers.  

And my point was only that since I’m not among the 13 million, I would prefer Switch port of Color Splash before ports of WW/TP HD, because I can already play WW/TP on GameCube or Wii.

You suggested 3DS which does make sense. I prefer playing on TV rather than handheld, as well as not downgrading the graphics, so I’d rather a hypothetical port be to Switch than 3DS. That’s all. I don’t think we’re in an argument here.

• Like 1

No, certainly no argument.  I also much prefer to play games on TVs rather than handheld.  But at the end of the day, anything that the Switch can't handle due to control issues (requiring a second screen), the 3DS should be able to handle.  therefore, there is no reason why they can't port any major game from the Wii U to either the Switch (first choice) or the 3DS (second choice) or both.  It's kind of sad, the the Wii U will probably be COMPLETELY obsolete pretty soon (it's 95% obsolete now).

I agree.  In fact I have a GC hooked up just for the Game Boy Player (the Wii can do both GC/Wii after all).  Since the DS first came out I have wanted so so so so much for a way to play DS games on the TV.  Maybe be able to switch from top screen only, bottom screen only, both screens top/bottom (default setting of course) and both screens left right and both screens at left or right 90 degree angles for games where you use it like a book.  Perhaps have a mouse or tablet hookup of some kind for the touch screen controls?  I mean there are DS virtual console games on the WiiU are there not?  So obviously some sort of way to be able to play any DS cartridge like that can be done...the only question is, has anyone done so?

5 hours ago, Estil said:

I agree.  In fact I have a GC hooked up just for the Game Boy Player (the Wii can do both GC/Wii after all).  Since the DS first came out I have wanted so so so so much for a way to play DS games on the TV.  Maybe be able to switch from top screen only, bottom screen only, both screens top/bottom (default setting of course) and both screens left right and both screens at left or right 90 degree angles for games where you use it like a book.  Perhaps have a mouse or tablet hookup of some kind for the touch screen controls?  I mean there are DS virtual console games on the WiiU are there not?  So obviously some sort of way to be able to play any DS cartridge like that can be done...the only question is, has anyone done so?

Long answer: Yes, but it's complicated.

Short answer: Not really.

(3DS plays DS games obviously)

3 hours ago, Estil said:

That's only something an individual made for themselves...I mean something you can actually buy and does a good job.

I know that capture devices work for the DS and 3DS, but I know they are expensive, and I'm not sure how practical or usable they really are.

I mean there are DS virtual console games on the WiiU are there not?  

And to answer your other question, yes, the Wii U virtual library did include some DS games.  I only ever bought 2 or 3, but I remember Yoshi's Island DS worked with it really well.  

Edited by TDIRunner