IGNORED

"Wind Waker has aged better than Twilight Princess."

Nintegageo

52 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

When I played through TP i played on the HD remake for the Wii U, I thought the game played pretty well. It definitely looks a lot better from videos I’ve seen covering the Gamcube or even Wii version.

My only complaints about TP are what feels like a lot of backtracking and wandering. It’s such a good game, I haven’t played WW yet to speak on it. 

Wind Waker was quite enjoyable when it was released, but I'm not sure the sailing holds up well when compared to modern games. It has a lot of backtracking and long empty stretches of water which get old fast. However, I heard they added a fast travel mechanic in the remaster, so maybe that negates some of the more painful sections.

5 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Wind Waker was quite enjoyable when it was released, but I'm not sure the sailing holds up well when compared to modern games. It has a lot of backtracking and long empty stretches of water which get old fast. However, I heard they added a fast travel mechanic in the remaster, so maybe that negates some of the more painful sections.

Having kids and stuff I’d be super into having a sped up travel mechanic... my time is limited for gaming and I don’t need to waste time. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 1:55 PM, MiamiSlice said:

Every time I hear anyone say anything about something "aging poorly" or "aging well" I roll my eyes. This has become a knee jerk reaction for me. I cannot even relate to this type of thinking, this line of argumentation, etc. Just bait for me to get into an argument about why I disagree with all these "X aged poorly" statements. 

Not today, Satan!

I can enjoy games from any era.  About the only thing I'll say is don't play PS1 games on a large screen.  You play them on a small enough CRT, or even on PSP or a PSOne LCD, and they can look pretty sharp.

3 hours ago, CMR said:

I think the lack of an annoying side-kick is one of the reasons I like BOTW so much.  

I am really looking forward to playing it and that is a major reason. I don’t have a Switch yet (long story) but I expect great things. I remember Thanksgiving 2011, a friend asked what is my favorite Zelda game. I nodded toward my as-yet unopened Skyward Sword big box on top of the bookcase and said “probably that one.” Boy was that wrong! I think BOTW will take the place when I do get to it.

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Fast sail is a game changer. 

I think WW has held up better simply because of the graphic style. 

Obviously, you have played the remake. Would the original graphics hold up? without the fast travel? 

In my opinion, the GameCube versions of both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess still hold up reasonably well. However, my GameCube is hooked up with the official Component cable. If it was still hooked up with the Composite cable, then I probably wouldn't have the same opinion (though I'd probably still play them, since they are still fun).

Edited by MegaMan52

8 hours ago, Link said:

I am really looking forward to playing it and that is a major reason. I don’t have a Switch yet (long story) but I expect great things. I remember Thanksgiving 2011, a friend asked what is my favorite Zelda game. I nodded toward my as-yet unopened Skyward Sword big box on top of the bookcase and said “probably that one.” Boy was that wrong! I think BOTW will take the place when I do get to it.

Obviously, you have played the remake. Would the original graphics hold up? without the fast travel? 

The graphics on classic WW hold up pretty good or at least better than TP in my opinion. They both look good on the HD versions but the colors make WW just pop so I'd still give it the benefit... Obviously subjective. 

Without the fast sail? Hell no. I couldn't even make it through the original WW after trying it multiple times. I have no idea what Nintendo was thinking. I think they were trying to make you feel that isolation of traveling but they took it way too far with the vast distances and insanely slow traveling. Even the HD remix still felt somewhat tedious with the fast sail but it's way better. I really enjoyed the HD versions of both WW and TP even though I only played through them once. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Link said:

Having sadly owned a WiiU for a few years, and owned/finished both versions.  I honestly miss the fast travel but didn't mind taking the time the first go around.  And the graphics, may be more detailed, but to me I prefer the Gamecube art assets more, a case of less is more I suppose?  And I'm speaking from this both from doing the old WW on a stock RCA cable but also the GC2HDMI external device, either case I liked it on the original more.  The visuals hold up as well as they did back then, the WiiU added detail almost just feels like a wasted effort.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:27 PM, CMR said:

@ninjistarIf you ever get the chance, you should give the HD remake for the Wii U a go.  It blows the GC version out of the water. 

As for which is better, I like both games, but I think Twilight Princess is like the N64 games in the fact it gets a lot better later in the game.  I remember the Arbiter's Grounds dungeon was a real treat to play through the first time. 

I hope that they release the HD version on the switch. I never bought a wii u, so I never got to play it. I last played ww on a gamecube with component cables about 10 years ago.

The redone texture-work in the Twilight Princess HD version make it hold up better

Wind Waker will always be trapped in that early-mid 2000s era where hipster cel-shaded animation was cool.  The only time you see cel-shaded games now is from funky indie titles trying to look like early 2000s titles.

11 minutes ago, fox said:

The redone texture-work in the Twilight Princess HD version make it hold up better

Wind Waker will always be trapped in that early-mid 2000s era where hipster cel-shaded animation was cool.  The only time you see cel-shaded games now is from funky indie titles trying to look like early 2000s titles.

BotW sorta was, no?

40 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

BotW sorta was, no?

In a way yeah it kind of is if you think about it.  It's far more cartoony looking if not a bit more serious on the cartoon side given the better hardware, but because of that you see far less polygons and odd angles so like Wind Waker it'll have many more years of durability until some would say visually it shows its age.

BOTW is absolutely cel shaded. It's still a very common style, I don't know why you'd claim otherwise.

Hell, that cel shaded Dragonball fighting game that came out a year or two ago is one of the best looking games I've ever seen, and I don't even like Dragonball.

Edited by Sumez

Like I mentioned before at the old NA place...I don't get the whole "aged well" thing.  It's the same game then as it was now right?  It just isn't fair to try to put it up against games now because well, how were they supposed to predict the future?

And boy do I remember how upset and outraged most everyone at GameFAQs and such was when the first cel-shaded Zelda scene was first shown.  I was one of the very few voices of reason who tried to caution everyone about jumping to conclusions what, 2-3 years or so before the game even came out but they basically thought I was just being some sort of Nintendo fanboy idiot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I bet all those games will be re-released (3D World, WW, and TP). The HD Zelda games may be released together before BotW 2 to get that Zelda hype going. 3D world will be released with a character that can't die and has all the best qualities of every character as per Switch Wii U ports.

I was going to say the same thing.  And it's a damn good move on Nintendo's part due to the super low number of Wii U's on the market vs. the Switch.  They know they have am amazing library of games on the Wii U, but no one is going to buy them if they don't have the system.  

• Like 1

They will likely port every 1st party game given time. Nintendo abandoned the Wii U, delayed BotW for upwards of 2 years, and the Switch will be their console for years to come. The games are complete so I'm sure they have a team dedicated to porting the last few games out. Has Pikmin been ported? I see that going over too or being released with Pikmin 4. 

1 hour ago, Link said:

On this tangent, I’d like a port of Paper Mario Color Splash. I’m not sure how they would adapt the “cutout” function, but I’m sure they could think of something. I can play WW/TP on two other consoles besides WiiU.

That one might work better as a 3DS port.  

15 hours ago, Estil said:

Like I mentioned before at the old NA place...I don't get the whole "aged well" thing.  It's the same game then as it was now right?  It just isn't fair to try to put it up against games now because well, how were they supposed to predict the future?

And boy do I remember how upset and outraged most everyone at GameFAQs and such was when the first cel-shaded Zelda scene was first shown.  I was one of the very few voices of reason who tried to caution everyone about jumping to conclusions what, 2-3 years or so before the game even came out but they basically thought I was just being some sort of Nintendo fanboy idiot.

I did the same thing there and other forums and that was always the go to to dismiss anyone who actually wasn't some arrogant Nintendo fanboy prick, they'd call you the fanboy first.  It got really tiresome at times, but people really just needed to grow up and get over it, it's not like Nintendo owed them anything or they were entitled to anything either but damn they acted like they were.

The aged well concept is just how as visuals age over time, some hold up better than others, so in a way you call it 'aged well.'  Take a look at 2600, Coleco, and NES graphics, all 8bit.  In general most would say that the NES has aged well, not the other two so much, definitely not the 2600.  If you look at the throwback art today, even in the modern stuff say like Axiom Verge on Switch, that's 8bit NES style, not 2600 large block mess.