IGNORED

"Wind Waker has aged better than Twilight Princess."

Nintegageo

Watching a YT video and it's like a copy/paste script at this point to say WW has aged better. No it hasn't! I enjoy the game but visually, Twilight Princess looks nicer. Obviously this is an opinion thing, but it's annoying that no one seems to want to state otherwise publicly lest they be shunned by the gaming community.

Just a rant :), darn Youtube.

• Like 1

They're both just 3D Zeldas, I think they've aged pretty much the same. Wind Waker's art is more colorful and distinctive for sure. TP is too muted and loses in comparisons to BOTW and SS in graphics styles.

People are crazy about games "aging" anyway. You put someone down in front of a game that's 10 years old and they act like it's torture and entirely not fun anymore because some newer game in the genre has more rails and bigger open worlds.

• Like 7

At the time, when most of us were hoping for (and expecting based on the Spaceworld 2000 demo) a Twilight Princess type treatment, Nintendo defended the Wind Waker cel shading style by stating it would age well due to the smoothness of the graphics. Maybe that is the take of these youtubers you’re looking at. I wonder how many of them have the HD remake :classic_wink: 

Editorials Team · Posted

It's the same discussion about how graphics "age" to begin with. If you try to employ a visual "style," like LttP or WW, then that "look" will age better than if your style is "trying to look like reality." Ninja Turtle cartoons from the 80's look better than Reboot or whatever other CG cartoon that tried to look like stuff was really happening in the 3d world. Any given 2D NES game "looks better" than the early 3D games on N64 and Playstation. In 10 years, people will laugh at today's 3D games.

I guess I'm not "in the know" about what's trendy or cool with gaming opinions LOL. I don't think I ever played much Twilight Princess. However, I have played a fair bit of WW over the years (including as recently as last month). I was a bit put off by the fuzziness in WW, but still was happy to play it. I settled on buying a GameCube HD adapter and using a DOL-001 model cube (and enabling progressive scan mode, of course). This is a MUCH more enjoyable experience! It almost gives new life to the game graphically. There are YouTube videos out there comparing with and without such adapters, but here are some shots that I took and shared with friends:

vgs-ninjistar-gamecube-sd.jpg

vgs-ninjistar-gamecube-hdmi.jpg

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 1

@ninjistarIf you ever get the chance, you should give the HD remake for the Wii U a go.  It blows the GC version out of the water. 

As for which is better, I like both games, but I think Twilight Princess is like the N64 games in the fact it gets a lot better later in the game.  I remember the Arbiter's Grounds dungeon was a real treat to play through the first time. 

Visually speaking Wind Waker due to the cartoon animation style it uses you see a lot less angles and obvious corner cutting to present a better visual experience, while the other was trying to do the best detail they could at the time on the hardware so it has more obvious points, color choices and the rest that show the age against a more modern environment.  It's kind of how for 2D titles quite a few SNES games still stand out as looking like you'd pay for them as new on a mobile phone or tablet now more than the 8bit stuff, or the crusty 16bit lower color stuff like Genesis.

Legend of Zelda is one of my all time favorite game series.

i really enjoyed the atmosphere and look of Twilight Princess. gameplay was fun but the wolf bits did get pretty old quickly.

Wind Waker, on the other hand, is a complete turn off because of the graphical style employed. anything using that art style gets a hard pass from me.

• Haha 1

If anyone starts any argument talking about how well any game "aged", just ignore anything else they have to say. That's consistently a completely useless argument that seems to cover over a lack of ability to define the issues or qualities they are actually trying to describe.

A typical translation of "aged poorly" would be something like "this game really isn't as good as I thought at one point, but I'm too proud to admit I was wrong", but it could be an array of other things.

As for WW and TP I like both of them a lot. They have their share of issues, but they are generally very good.

Edited by Sumez

Both games are excellent. In fact, both games have aged quite well. I've played both recently and they are both still very fun and distinctive. Toon link is honestly my favorite art style of link, but Midna is my favorite companion character. TP get the not for which one holds up better, the part in Windwaker where tingle interprets the maps and you need to grind rupees for hours is distictly unfun, even in 2003. TP paced very smoothly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Watching a YT video and it's like a copy/paste script at this point to say WW has aged better. No it hasn't! I enjoy the game but visually, Twilight Princess looks nicer. Obviously this is an opinion thing, but it's annoying that no one seems to want to state otherwise publicly lest they be shunned by the gaming community.

Just a rant :), darn Youtube.

I think because WW uses a simpler cell shaded style it's easier to update to HD and look just like a beautiful unique art style.  Having aid that, I would buy WWHD and TPHD on Switch and love both of them.

5 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Toon link is honestly my favorite art style of link, but Midna is my favorite companion character.

I just think this is funny because I hate both of them 😄

I can’t say we are completely opposite though, because Fi was even worse than Midna 😖

1 hour ago, Link said:

I just think this is funny because I hate both of them 😄

I can’t say we are completely opposite though, because Fi was even worse than Midna 😖

I'm the minority, i know. I always prefer cartoony type games over the dead serious type games in general.

I never understood the midna hate. She's pretty much a straight bitch at first, but she really grows as a character and becomes very endearing as the game progresses. She's much more interesting than "HEY! LISTEN!" Or Red Lions just being blah and telling you what to do next. Midna actually has a real personality and lightened or enhances the dark points of the story depending on what is needed.

• Like 1

Every time I hear anyone say anything about something "aging poorly" or "aging well" I roll my eyes. This has become a knee jerk reaction for me. I cannot even relate to this type of thinking, this line of argumentation, etc. Just bait for me to get into an argument about why I disagree with all these "X aged poorly" statements. 

Not today, Satan!

20 hours ago, Splain said:

It's the same discussion about how graphics "age" to begin with. If you try to employ a visual "style," like LttP or WW, then that "look" will age better than if your style is "trying to look like reality." Ninja Turtle cartoons from the 80's look better than Reboot or whatever other CG cartoon that tried to look like stuff was really happening in the 3d world. Any given 2D NES game "looks better" than the early 3D games on N64 and Playstation. In 10 years, people will laugh at today's 3D games.

Sure, this is true if you don't like that lo-fi limited graphical representation. I love the low poly look, the clunky graphics of the PS1 / N64 era, just like I love some of the "bad" 2d graphics from the Atari age as well. There are games being made today that have this low poly aesthetic because some people think it looks cool. 

In essence, these tweets: 

Maybe I like it because it looks funny, maybe I like sharp lines and angles, maybe the jagged representation is fantastical in how much it is removed from reality. It's fun. I'm not so hard nosed that I feel like a 3D game needs to look real and/or high def in order for me to enjoy looking at it. I understand others may not agree with me. 

8 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Every time I hear anyone say anything about something "aging poorly" or "aging well" I roll my eyes. This has become a knee jerk reaction for me. I cannot even relate to this type of thinking, this line of argumentation, etc. Just bait for me to get into an argument about why I disagree with all these "X aged poorly" statements. 

Not today, Satan!

I'm actually the opposite.  I don't have a problem with the "aging poorly" argument.  I may or may not agree with what has aged poorly, but regardless, I certainly understand the mindset.  

21 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Not today, Satan!

Does Guntz have a new username? 😛

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

I'm the minority, i know. I always prefer cartoony type games over the dead serious type games in general.

You might not be in the minority. Toon Link seems to be pretty popular. They sure put him in a lot of games. 

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

I never understood the midna hate.

Honestly it’s been a long time since I played TP. So I can’t remember specifically at the moment why I didn’t like her. Maybe just too much talking, a problem I have with all 3 of them. Way too heavy on the expository dialog. 

I think Midna is intentionally designed to be bratty and annoying starting out, but over time you get to know her better and learn why she is like that - a classic Japanese character arc. There's a lot of care and personality put into her dialogue.

Meanwhile, Fi is intentionally designed to have no character. I don't know who thought that was a good idea. But apparently they thought she wasn't annoying enough and made her solve all your puzzles before even giving you a chance of looking at them yourself, too.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think visually, the Wind Waker has clearly aged better. Gameplay wise, I sadly have not played Twilight Princess. I think there is a Wii U version though, so it could still happen.

When I played through TP i played on the HD remake for the Wii U, I thought the game played pretty well. It definitely looks a lot better from videos I’ve seen covering the Gamcube or even Wii version.

My only complaints about TP are what feels like a lot of backtracking and wandering. It’s such a good game, I haven’t played WW yet to speak on it. 

• Like 1