Jump to content
IGNORED

Trying to Find Out if this GBA Game Exists


BirdDogGaming
 Share

Recommended Posts

The title pretty much says it all. There’s an image of a Game Boy Advance double pack with The Powerpuff Girls: Mojo-Jojo A-Go-Go and Dexter’s Laboratory: Deesaster Strikes, presumably on the same cartridge. The image is available on Amazon and GamersAlley, and there is apparently a sold eBay listing from 2013, according to Price Charting, but the link to the listing is dead.

GameSpot says the game released on May 22, 2003. No other information available there. 
The game is also listed on JJGames and Lukie Games, sold out. 

Anyone own this double pack? If it exists, it’s gotta be extremely rare. 

AE1D0508-EF5B-4597-A24C-A60372936A8A.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've looked into this, and I wonder if the USA-1 bug fix carts were from this box? Like maybe bam! had 2 carts inside this box. Mojo had some Invincibility glitch, and Dexter a progress glitch or something. If they produced more of both later to replace purchased carts, is it possible extras got packed in this new box as a "combo"? I can't see bam! making more of these 2 in a combo cart if they had these already laying around. Just a theory, Could explain the apparent few sealed/cib data and zero loose.

Edited by Nesmaster
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So some brave soul decided to put a thumb in Capcom's eye and finished what they promised.  Nice.  I'd love to see that, even better if it got a release for a flash kit just to see how it handles.  I'm not really into after market obscenely low run rare homebrew carts, but then again I can't talk I've got Hyper Fighting on VB, also a Capcom title. 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2020 at 1:28 PM, Nesmaster said:

I've looked into this, and I wonder if the USA-1 bug fix carts were from this box? Like maybe bam! had 2 carts inside this box. Mojo had some Invincibility glitch, and Dexter a progress glitch or something. If they produced more of both later to replace purchased carts, is it possible extras got packed in this new box as a "combo"? I can't see bam! making more of these 2 in a combo cart if they had these already laying around. Just a theory, Could explain the apparent few sealed/cib data and zero loose.

@NesmasterThat’s an interesting theory! I know for sure the USA-1 Dexter’s Lab released standalone - the seal on the box for the first print has “Official Nintendo Seal of Quality” while the revised version just says “Official Nintendo Seal.” But they could have still, as you said, included two separate carts in the two-pack.

All of this assuming it actually exists, lol. 

I actually had no idea about the Powerpuff girls glitch / revision. Did they slap a “-1” to the end of the “USA” for that one as well? 

Edited by thatgamernerd
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, thatgamernerd said:

@NesmasterThat’s an interesting theory! I know for sure the USA-1 Dexter’s Lab released standalone - the seal on the box for the first print has “Official Nintendo Seal of Quality” while the revised version just says “Official Nintendo Seal.” But they could have still, as you said, included two separate carts in the two-pack.

All of this assuming it actually exists, lol. 

I actually had no idea about the Powerpuff girls glitch / revision. Did they slap a “-1” to the end of the “USA” for that one as well? 

1448956561_s-l500(1).jpg.59261ab51ed5a76648fd2e06cfb57c70.jpg

 

I'm not sure exactly why this one has a USA-1, but the invincibility glitch is the first thing I found googling glitches for this one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The back box art would give a strong clue, if you have a pic of that.  If it's a single UPC code, that suggests a unique combo cartridge, while if it shows the two UPC codes for Powerpuff and Dexter, it would have just been the two cartridges.  I can think of a couple similar examples of GBA combo packs that had the two carts instead of a combo (for example, Shrek and Shrek 2 GBA Video combo with 2 carts).  And because this box art has the "of quality" text on the seal, I am inclined to think these would not have been the revision carts.

I personally don't think this game was released, but I would love to be wrong! 🙂

edit:  and I was!  

Edited by coffeewithmrsaturn
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

The back box art would give a strong clue, if you have a pic of that.  If it's a single UPC code, that suggests a unique combo cartridge, while if it shows the two UPC codes for Powerpuff and Dexter, it would have just been the two cartridges.  I can think of a couple similar examples of GBA combo packs that had the two carts instead of a combo (for example, Shrek and Shrek 2 GBA Video combo with 2 carts).  And because this box art has the "of quality" text on the seal, I am inclined to think these would not have been the revision carts.

I personally don't think this game was released, but I would love to be wrong! 🙂

@coffeewithmrsaturn I can’t find the back of the box, spent a lot of time digging into this now. I did however find an alternate front cover, though (notice Deedee’s foot) to further complicate things. Found here.

6A34C277-CEBC-4A35-99A7-39527857EA53.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2020 at 12:20 AM, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

@austin532Yes, a guy on Instagram did it a run of like 50 or so sealed in box.  I think there is one on eBay, but it's expensive.

They don’t appear to be colorized. Looks like there was an unfinished attempt to colorize at one point. The ones on the reprocart look to be original black and white roms all merged into one cart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Nesmaster said:

So did anyone win Lukie's box lot? @coffeewithmrsaturn Someone else wanted the lot more. ;/

Untitled.png.a71054b4fceb175c853fba81f4ac55d3.png

I had no idea this auction was going on. I would not have spent the $433 to win, that's for sure. I can't believe it actually exists, this is huge. We have to get some images.

  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, coffeewithmrsaturn said:

@Nesmaster haha you knew that second bidder was me?!  I'm still pretty disappointed about missing this one.

🕵️‍♂️

I would love to get some photos of the game/IB . Maybe one day!

FWIW, The GBA rom set I checked ( ~16gb) also did not have a rom for this. I wonder who got the lukie cart.

Here's to hoping more turn up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to wait til after the auction finished before I posted this, but I did end up deciding this game probably does exist after looking at the listing titles from the few sales data on Pricecharting.  The titles were pretty clear about being this combo pack, which totally blows my mind.  And the coincidence of seeing this box in a random eBay lot shortly thereafter was quite surreal.  Looking back, I regret not bidding higher.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wanted to add the above response from our rep wasn't completely accurate. A lot of our earlier SKUs were first created off of available lists so we haven't necessary received them all over the years.  I checked and this particular combo has never been sold.  I do wish we'd been able to catch the box before it shipped to answer some of the questions though.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Today I posted a video pretty much summing the entirety of my research on this combo pack. 
 

About 12 hours later, I get a message on my channel’s Facebook page with the following images. They are from a sealed copy of the game.
 

If you notice, it’s not even the box art that appears on Amazon and Lukie Games, but rather the “variant” I had included earlier in this thread (see DeeDee’s foot).

This has been a really enjoyable journey and I appreciate everyone’s assistance getting to this point! 

Does having only one UPC number mean the games are on one cartridge?

BC3E7806-93E5-49F9-87CF-6DDA5B0F0A34.jpeg

FBE092C9-AFD6-485B-B443-2049AD16D0A4.jpeg

FC8A54CB-4FEA-42B0-8BDE-0ABADA6F6B6D.jpeg

8C6D8517-E02B-41FF-B490-C3A8C752A989.jpeg

BAD66039-7462-4683-9A65-4742B10C3E84.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...