IGNORED

I swear I'm not trying to start another flame post toward Go Collect, but is there a SegaAge/PlaystationAge archive on GoCollect?

RH

It will be sad if there isn't, but I know for a while you could still go to SegaAge.com and browse the site, even if you couldn't log in.

Anyone know of a back door or anything to viewing the contents to those sites?  Maybe an IP address or something?  They seem to be gone and weren't archived.  I'm not trying to start a bunch of hate, but I really did want to try and look up some information.  I guess it's gone now, but I hope that's not true.

*sigh...*

Edited by RH

I thought I remembered people saying they specifically were archived (before the individual URLs stopped working), but with their threads and everything woefully and confusingly mixed directly in with the NA stuff?  I seem to recall when looking at the NA archive stuff there being duplicate forum names and such, which NA itself didn't have.  So, perhaps good news that it's possibly there but bad news that you'll have a heck of a time sifting that stuff out?

4 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I thought I remembered people saying they specifically were archived (before the individual URLs stopped working), but with their threads and everything woefully and confusingly mixed directly in with the NA stuff?  I seem to recall when looking at the NA archive stuff there being duplicate forum names and such, which NA itself didn't have.  So, perhaps good news that it's possibly there but bad news that you'll have a heck of a time sifting that stuff out?

Ah, that might be the case. I definitely didn't go hunting through the NA archive looking for SEGA information that I knew wasn't there. I wasn't active on SegaAge much, but I did pop in from time to time.

25 minutes ago, B.A. said:

They are all archived in one hodge-podge mess.  Like you will see 3 Collectors Corner categories, it's one from each site.  They didn't organize or separate them, they just dumped everything into one archive.  

Well, again, I'm not trying to get people angry or stir up hate  or anything but...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

What an information were you seeking? Here is an idea, start a thread here asking the community for help on that information. Consider all those old sites dead like I do. 🙂 

I’ll be honest, I was really hoping there was an IP backdoor still up so I could peruse the database, then search for a list of Game Gear games with there publishers. TL;DR, I need a master list with that info. :’(

1 hour ago, B.A. said:

They are all archived in one hodge-podge mess.  Like you will see 3 Collectors Corner categories, it's one from each site.  They didn't organize or separate them, they just dumped everything into one archive.  

And good luck searching for anything. The search function suuuuucks. If you put in more than one term, the results are every thread with all the words, and every thread with each individual words. Quote marks don't seem to help.

1 hour ago, RH said:

I’ll be honest, I was really hoping there was an IP backdoor still up so I could peruse the database, then search for a list of Game Gear games with there publishers. TL;DR, I need a master list with that info. :’(

Maybe @MovieTom can assist. He is a pretty serious GG guy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RH said:

Should be able to get that from DP no?

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, MovieTom said:

@RH I ended up making a Google spreadsheet with all the North American Game Gear releases detailing the publishers, product codes, and approximate release dates. I might go further and try to do the Japanese and EU releases in the future. 

Click HERE for the spreadsheet.

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I compared this to my list and saw 2 differences: your list doesn't include Marko, and it does include CJ Elephant, which I thought didn't see a USA release. I find myself explaining stuff like that all the time to people compiling GB lists, so... sorry if those are common questions lol.

23 minutes ago, Splain said:

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I compared this to my list and saw 2 differences: your list doesn't include Marko, and it does include CJ Elephant, which I thought didn't see a USA release. I find myself explaining stuff like that all the time to people compiling GB lists, so... sorry if those are common questions lol.

No, questions are great! I love questions! From my research, Marko's Magic Football is a EU exclusive title. If they released it in the US, they would have shortened the title to just Marko as seen with the Genesis port since Americans wouldn't understand that the sport is football everywhere else. CJ Elephant Fugitive was released in the US. While the US and the EU cart look identical, the boxes are different according to the region. Game Gear has a crazy number of weird exclusives, title changes, and alternate art depending on the region.

spacer.png    spacer.png

Editorials Team · Posted

Oh dang, I thought I could get away with not needing CJ lol.

Also, this isn't proof, but this image is on GameFAQs:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gamegear/586735-marko/images/192177

Edit: the general consensus online is definitely that Marko wasn't released in the US. All it would take is one person saying "but I have that game!" and that would be it, so I guess I'm convinced.

Edited by Splain
  • Wow! 1

5 hours ago, Splain said:

Oh dang, I thought I could get away with not needing CJ lol.

Also, this isn't proof, but this image is on GameFAQs:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gamegear/586735-marko/images/192177

Edit: the general consensus online is definitely that Marko wasn't released in the US. All it would take is one person saying "but I have that game!" and that would be it, so I guess I'm convinced.

I wonder if that was a preproduction image or maybe a fan image from someone? Definitely cool. There was a game that was SUPPOSED to be released in the US, was 100% done and was even reviewed but never made it to full production for some reason. It was Codemasters' Big Nose. I tried to win an auction with a review copy a few years back but lost at the last second. 

5 hours ago, RH said:

This is getting to real for a new GG collector.  Well, at least I'm glad I negotiated down a euro seller for a decent copy of Pete Sampras to kick off my collection.

Nice! That is one of 2 carts that I'm missing. It's easily in the top 5 hardest to find for the system in the US.

41 minutes ago, MovieTom said:

Nice! That is one of 2 carts that I'm missing. It's easily in the top 5 hardest to find for the system in the US.

My general tactic is to watch over priced stuff on eBay, especially the international sellers.  If they hold onto it for 3+ months without it moving, you can sometimes negotiate them way down on their asking price.  I think I picked it up for $110, shipped from the Netherlands, or something. It had the US branding and I compared labels.  Though it was almost certainly in a Euro box, I count it as a US game since they aren't different than US copies as you guys have pointed out.

I plan on working toward the middle, which is what I've done with the Game Boy, so I need to pick up a Mega Man, and the Codemasters, and then I hope it's mostly smooth sailing from there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RH said:

My general tactic is to watch over priced stuff on eBay, especially the international sellers.  If they hold onto it for 3+ months without it moving, you can sometimes negotiate them way down on their asking price.  I think I picked it up for $110, shipped from the Netherlands, or something. It had the US branding and I compared labels.  Though it was almost certainly in a Euro box, I count it as a US game since they aren't different than US copies as you guys have pointed out.

I plan on working toward the middle, which is what I've done with the Game Boy, so I need to pick up a Mega Man, and the Codemasters, and then I hope it's mostly smooth sailing from there.

Excellent plan. The Codemaster games proved to be the most difficult to find (specifically Pete Sampras, Fantastic Dizzy, and CJ Elephant). Be on the look out for Urban Strike which is on the more expensive side as well as Sports Illustrated which is one of the rarer carts out there. It's not that expensive, especially if found in a lot or locally cause it's a sports game, but it was one that was pretty difficult to find for me. 

• Thanks 1