IGNORED

What is your favorite track from DKC 3?

austin532

So for the people who have played it, what is your favorite track in the SNES version DKC 3 or what track do you feel is the most popular? I think one of the reasons why people feel it's the weakest is there is no particular track in the game that it's widely known for. DKC is known for Aquatic Ambience and DKC 2 is known for Stickerbush Symphony but DKC 3 doesn't have anything that really stands out. I still love the game though.

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

20 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

I actually really like the DKC3 title screen music. I know it's mostly a remix of the bonus stage track from DKC1, but it's really well done, as are most of the tracks.

I believe David Wise actually did that track. He did a few tracks for the game before Eveline took over.

3 hours ago, austin532 said:

I assume you mean Sub Map Shuffle or the actual overworld theme Northern Kremisphere? The whole soundtrack is memorable to me. Eveline did a great job and it really sets the mood and atmosphere of the game.

I mean the one with that mean bass line. That tune was tight! I still prefer the strings and horns in the overworld song of dkc2.

Dkc3 has the best boss fight of all 3 games, though. That one where you have to throw the snowballs at the mutant snowman was a blast. Overall 3 always felt like a chore to play. It had a few bright spots, but overall falls short of being a classic in my eyes.

Yeah, that's a good one.

Exactly, DKC 3 doesn't get the love that 1 and 2 get. I think one of the reasons why was because it came out very late the system's life and after the N64. Some people will even say it's not good. Sure it played it safe and is basically DKC 2.5 but it's still a damn good game.

I love all three games equally and is probably why it's my favorite trilogy.

I think it's not so much that there isn't one track that "stands out" - DKC2 has a lot more going for it than Stickerbrush Symphony, the entire soundtrack is godlike, and to be honest there are probably a bunch of other tracks I like even better.

But with Eveline Fischer doing the majority of the soundtrack, DKC3 lacks the same catchy oomph that David Wise added to the first two games, DKC3 simply doesn't sound too impressive in comparison due to its more repetitive nature. But Fischer is still very talented, and judging by the overall sound of the game she worked on the same sound engine as the first two games (which I'm assuming was created by David Wise) which by itself ensures an audio quality that you'll only find in very few other SNES games.

DKC3's soundtrack in general focuses less on full on melodies, and is a lot more subtle and subdued. And even compared to the surprisingly somber mood of the earlier two soundtracks, this one is just so incredibly gloomy that it might even fit a horror game, or something like Metroid. There's really few other things like it.
I was just skimming through the entire soundtrack trying to identify really memorable tracks that stand out to me - and although most of the tracks are still familiar to me even years after last playing the game (definitely a testament to its quality), it's hard to pick out just one.

The map theme, Northern Kremisphere has already been mentioned. It's a great track, and probably the one you'll remember the best due to how much it's heard.

Others that stand out to me would be Mill Fever, Water World, Nuts n Bolts, and Treetop Tumble. But really, the entire soundtrack occupies a lot of the same qualities.

Edited by Sumez

On 12/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, austin532 said:

Yeah, that's a good one.

Exactly, DKC 3 doesn't get the love that 1 and 2 get. I think one of the reasons why was because it came out very late the system's life and after the N64. Some people will even say it's not good. Sure it played it safe and is basically DKC 2.5 but it's still a damn good game.

I love all three games equally and is probably why it's my favorite trilogy.

The whole "it's not good because it's the same as the previous game" is such a bad excuse for not liking a game. People praise Mega Man 2 but the rest of the series is garbage? Come on. They're all the same game, aka GOOD if not GREAT games. DKC and DKC2 are universally praised but DKC3 is garbage because it follows the same formula as 1 & 2...? I never understood that logic.

Anyway, DKC2 has always been my favorite of the three but DKC3 is almost tied with 2. I thought the level design was fantastic in 3, the music was great, and had the same amazing gameplay as 2. The story was cheesy, sure, and I get that people hated Kiddy (another thing I disagree with) and would've rather seen Donkey Kong back because it's called "Donkey Kong" Country. I get that. But Kiddy played almost the same as Donkey from DKC1. "But he's a big baby" people say. So? I mean a giant toddler ape is silly, sure but it didn't detract from the gameplay at all, and in the grand scheme of things I liked playing Dixie and Kiddy.