IGNORED

D-Day happened exactly 80 years ago today.

Estil

I read D-Day Through German Eyes by Eckherrtz last year. It's interesting as it provides insight from the German perspective. It can be dry at times, but I would recommend it if you have a military history interest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Estil said:

I forgot to mention, Google never acknowledges D-Day.

It's google, their agenda has been clear for years, especially with how their AI was handling simple basic image requests and well you saw how that blew up in the media.  No, today they chose to instead immortalize a dead latina lesbian author instead which is just far more symbolic and important clearly.

Started watching Band of Brothers for the first time a few days ago. The older I get, the more I appreciate this kind of stuff. Crazy what these guys went through, and at such a young age for many of them.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

It's google, their agenda has been clear for years, especially with how their AI was handling simple basic image requests and well you saw how that blew up in the media.  No, today they chose to instead immortalize a dead latina lesbian author instead which is just far more symbolic and important clearly.

Hey I don't want to take anything away from today's subject (Jeanne Córdova) but they could've honored her anytime, like on her birthday (July 18) or something.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I get that D Day is pretty significant, and remembering it holds some importance as do other relevant days in WW2.

But do you really think a significant invasion day in a violent war is something that calls for celebration? Google widgets are dedicated to positively celebrating important people and events, not people murdering each other. I don't have any interest in supporting Google, but I think this is a fairly respectable stance.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

The alternative of a world ruled by Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan is too terrible to contemplate - the steps taken to stop those two nations can hardly be considered murder.  That is just a miserably sad and pathetic characterization IMHO.

How do you think your esteemed groups would have fared in such a world?  I suggest you read a book entitled "The Men with the Pink Triangle" to give you some desperately needed perspective.  Followed by a hefty sampling from the plethora of Holocaust studies.   

Another very illuminating (if really depressing) book is "The Rape of Nanking" - which describes the utter brutalization of the helpless citizens of that city by the Japanese Imperial Army in 1937.  That is what happens when there is no one to use force to  protect people from unbridled militaristic dictatorships.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, Tabonga said:

the steps taken to stop those two nations can hardly be considered murder.  That is just a miserably sad and pathetic characterization IMHO.

Oh yeah nevermind my narrowminded perspective. War is great and fucking rocks.

• Angry 1

16 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Oh yeah nevermind my narrowminded perspective. War is great and fucking rocks.

Well then, exactly  what would you have done about the Nazis and Imperial Japan?  

Just watch everyone being marched off to death camps and waited for your turn? (Have you ever read about Auschwitz/Birkenau, Sobibor, Treblinka and Majdanek (among so many others))?  If not you really need to do so so you know what the f*ck you are going on about.  The Nazis are considered the paramount of evil for a reason. (Unless of course you disagree.)

Whatever carps you may harbor about Western society are trivial compared to the events of that era.

War is not "great" but it is sometimes necessary to prevent evil.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Well then, exactly  what would you have done about the Nazis and Imperial Japan?  

You're massively derailing my comment which was made about why Google doesn't actively celebrate D-Day.

I'm not saying it was unnecessary. I'm saying it's not exactly a bright and beautiful moment in human history.

Edited by Sumez

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Sumez said:

You're massively derailing my comment which was made about why Google doesn't actively celebrate D-Day.

I'm not saying it was unnecessary. I'm saying it's not exactly a bright and beautiful moment in human history.

Using murder as a wildly inaccurate pejorative doesn't make your case - just trivializes it since you appear pretty clueless (IMHO of course).  It diminishes the great sacrifices and effort the peoples of the Allied nations made to defeat the Axis Powers.  (Which were not only for them but for all subsequent generations -  including both of ours.) Those events totally eclipse the events in relative importance that you seem to fret about so much.  And it not like google can't celebrate whatever for the rest of the month/year.

And who claimed it was a bright and beautiful moment? It was very necessary (and therefore very important) though.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Agree 2

Using "murder" to describe people killing eachother is inaccurate? 😮 

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

And who claimed it was a bright and beautiful moment? It was very necessary (and therefore very important) though.

Hopefully no one. That's pretty much the crux of my point, I don't think it should be hard to agree with.

14 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Using "murder" to describe people killing eachother is inaccurate? 😮 

Yep - murder has a fairly limited definition - generally in a criminal sense.  It is generally illegal - but if someone shoots someone else in self defense it generally is not murder (varies with local/state laws on how it shakes out).  A gun accidentally discharges and kills someone generally not murder.  If a state (or the feds) executes someone it is not murder.

As for wars if a government kills civilians (or POWs) that is likely murder - varies on the circumstances so there is  a lot of grey.  Military operations are sanctioned (by and large) since not using deadly force would kind of defeat the whole purpose.  

Much of what the Germans and Japanese  did was murder - but not everything they did was.  

(This is a bit incoherent but there is a lot of territory to cover - lots of nuances to be considered.)

it

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

But do you really think a significant invasion day in a violent war is something that calls for celebration?

More remembrance than celebration. There isn't much about WWII to celebrate, but I would definitely say it needs to be memorialized. It's not really Google's job to do so.

Administrator · Posted

Being upset at Google for celebrating something important and not portraying something else important is a bit like walking into a Leukemia charity fundraiser and complaining that they aren't raising funds for Diabetes Prevention.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

More remembrance than celebration. There isn't much about WWII to celebrate, but I would definitely say it needs to be memorialized. It's not really Google's job to do so.

VE Day and VJ Day were widely celebrated when they occurred - understandably so IMHO.  They were celebrated in a minor way for a few years after.  Most of the world was in a world of hurt for several years (plus the cold war started really quickly) and the two days faded into obscurity.

Edited by Tabonga

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Being upset at Google for celebrating something important and not portraying something else important is a bit like walking into a Leukemia charity fundraiser and complaining that they aren't raising funds for Diabetes Prevention.

I don't think much effort was put into that - one comment about Google never acknowledging it and one saying they had their own agenda.  Then there was the post defacto (IMHO) one denigrating/minimizing WWII and the Allies participation.  That was what I found objectionable. And the fun kept on coming!

(I think your comparison is a bit lukewarm - better to compare malaria and the common cold.  The importance of WWII to us even today far outweighs the other side of the scale. The Nazis and Imperial Japanese would have cheerfully killed everyone  (and countless others) of that ilk and this conversation wouldn't be occurring.  Google doing this doesn't particularly bother me - I do think they displayed incredibly poor judgement - but this is not the first time they have done so.) Not worth getting one's panties in a twist either way - doesn't change anything in any event.

I may be more sensitive to the implications of history (especially fairly recent history) on the present than most  - partly because I majored in history and also  the events are much closer time wise for me than anyone else here - while I was born shortly after the war I vividly remember my father, uncles and their friends (I also had a couple of uncles who served in Korea) tell stories and mention odds and ends.  So it is much more immediate for me than most of the folks here.

I don't think Estil meant to have this take a detour to google - just kinda happened (as things seem wont to do around here). I think he meant to just acknowledge it (D Day) in a slightly humorous way.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

To clarify I wasn't trying to equate the two things really or say one is more important than the other, or to have the perfect analogy.  Just highlighting that it seems unfair to be too upset at Google for having a doodle about something someone there deemed helpful to celebrate, and comparing that to something else they could have highlighted.

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Here is a rather interesting story about how many of the secret code words regarding D-Day came to appear as answers in crossword puzzles published in a British newspaper shortly before D Day.

https://www.history.co.uk/articles/the-unsolved-mystery-of-the-d-day-puzzles#:~:text=In early 1944%2C the words,Telegraph crossword as solution words.

download(15).jpeg.ae3d62f86f86276cd0cfcaae61d72bd7.jpeg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 3